ShadowX

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I bought two Andros 5IIA reels from J&H tackle. One of the reel works great and I have already caught 35+ lb yellowtail on it. However, the other reel has been giving me nothing but problems from the start.

Long story short, I spool one of the reels with spectra with no problems at around 5lbs of line pressure. The other reel, the handle would slip randomly and the handle would spin while the drag is set at strike. It seems like the drag disk is slipping on the drag and not catching properly. I can tell the line is not slipping on the spool since the spool is not turning and I install the line with backing material. When I freespool, I can hear the reel spool is dragging on some part of the internal and it would stop after a few seconds (this is with the magnetic clutch set at lowest). When I pull on the line, you can hear the drag washer rubbing while pulling line out. My other reel is smooth as butter with no noise.

I returned the reel last week and just received my reel from warranty repair today. Guess what? Its much worse now!! No freespool at all and the drag is very rough. The grinding noise is much worse. its as if the drags are not even greased at all. I don't know what is wrong with Okuma, but their service on this reel is horrible. Its as if they don't even know how to fix their own reels.

Its a pain trying to get a hold of a person to talk to about the repair. I don't want to send it back and go through the headaches again. It cost at least $20 to ship and to pay for the shipping back. Its frustrating to deal with Okuma and their lack of quality on the new reels. I own a couple of Makairas and Andros before and I have never seen as much problem on this new reel design as any other reel before.

If anyone knows a contact person in Okuma that I can talk to to make sure I don't get a crappy reel back again, it would be great.

Senor Rambone

Super Chingon
Mar 24, 2015
ROSARITO B.C.
Name
Senor Rambone
Boat
La Mamalona
I bought two Andros 5IIA reels from J&H tackle. One of the reel works great and I have already caught 35+ lb yellowtail on it. However, the other reel has been giving me nothing but problems from the start.

Long story short, I spool one of the reels with spectra with no problems at around 5lbs of line pressure. The other reel, the handle would slip randomly and the handle would spin while the drag is set at strike. It seems like the drag disk is slipping on the drag and not catching properly. I can tell the line is not slipping on the spool since the spool is not turning and I install the line with backing material. When I freespool, I can hear the reel spool is dragging on some part of the internal and it would stop after a few seconds (this is with the magnetic clutch set at lowest). When I pull on the line, you can hear the drag washer rubbing while pulling line out. My other reel is smooth as butter with no noise.

I returned the reel last week and just received my reel from warranty repair today. Guess what? Its much worse now!! No freespool at all and the drag is very rough. The grinding noise is much worse. its as if the drags are not even greased at all. I don't know what is wrong with Okuma, but their service on this reel is horrible. Its as if they don't even know how to fix their own reels.

Its a pain trying to get a hold of a person to talk to about the repair. I don't want to send it back and go through the headaches again. It cost at least $20 to ship and to pay for the shipping back. Its frustrating to deal with Okuma and their lack of quality on the new reels. I own a couple of Makairas and Andros before and I have never seen as much problem on this new reel design as any other reel before.

If anyone knows a contact person in Okuma that I can talk to to make sure I don't get a crappy reel back again, it would be great.

Hello ShadowX , Drop me a line at [email protected] or you can reach me direct at 909-467-8113. You can send the reel direct to my attention and I will make sure the reel is processed and returned back to you at no charge.

Reactions: LongCASTER