New Accurate BV2-500L, not feeling the love on the East Coast.

Discussion in 'Accurate Fishing Reels Support Forum' started by Atomck1, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Atomck1

Atomck1 Newbie

Name:
    Tom McKelvey
    Boat:
    The Ark
    Hello, I’m a newbie who found this great site by searching for problems with Accurate Valiants. I’ve not gotten what could be described as good customer service, it’s more like zero customer service.

After purchasing 2- BV300CL’s a few months back I decided to pull the trigger on a new BV2-500L for an upcoming trip to Florida. My first impression was that the reel had a noticeably different finish in both polish and color, when compared to my Silver/Red 300. The overall finish was dull, and the red not nearly as vibrant. I digress, color is not my main concern, just an observation.

My main concern was “back play” in the handle, and to a lesser extent the spool. Out of the box, when put in gear to the strike setting the handle has play in it that I measured at nearly 1/4” at the end of the handle in high, and slightly more in low gear. There is zero play in the handles on either of my 300’s. Not being sure if this was inherent in 2 speed reels, I called Accurate early in their business day and was transferred to customer service where I left a message. With no call back nearing the end of the day I called again and was transferred to a voicemail again, I did not leave another message. I then went to the website and sent a message via their customer service link. The next morning I contacted my dealer to discuss my problem. He checked two reels, a BV2-500 had zero play in the handle. The BV-400 did have noticeable play in the handle, although he said it was somewhat less than what I described. He said he would contact the rep and let me know what finds out.

Having no response from Accurate by phone or well past the 48 hours stipulated on their website for email, and not wanting to have to wait for a brand new reel to be repaired, I returned the reel to the dealer.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with play in the handles on their Valiants? I like my Valiant 300’s, but given my experience to date I’m not sure wether to roll the dice and order another BV2-500L, or to try an Avet Raptor.
    If Raptor which one, and do you think I could get a lefty delivered to NY by March 15th?

2. PezGallo21

PezGallo21 Social Media and Customer Service Advertiser

Name:
    Will @ Accurate Fishing Products
    Boat:
    Golden Domer 21' Angler
    Hi Tom, I am sorry you had difficulty getting ahold of us. We pride ourselves on customer service so we never like to hear that we did not serve a customer properly. In the future if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message directly! It sounds like there was definitely an issue with the reel color wise, but tough to say exactly without seeing it in person whether the backplay was an issue.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Atomck1 likes this.
  3. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    On two speed reels there has to be some backplate due to switching gears.

Atomck1 likes this.
  4. Atomck1

Atomck1 Newbie

Name:
    Tom McKelvey
    Boat:
    The Ark
    Thank you for the reply. I thought that may have been the case but as I stated: " He checked two reels, a BV2-500 had zero play in the handle".

5. InDeepShip

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    Try and get it serviced. There is free servicing for the first 2 years if I remember correctly.

Atomck1 likes this.
  6. Atomck1

Atomck1 Newbie

Name:
    Tom McKelvey
    Boat:
    The Ark
    Thank you for the reply. Message sent.

7. Atomck1

Atomck1 Newbie

Name:
    Tom McKelvey
    Boat:
    The Ark
    Service is free in the first 2 years. I didn't want to have a brand new reel "serviced".
    "Having no response from Accurate by phone or well past the 48 hours stipulated on their website for email, and not wanting to have to wait for a brand new reel to be repaired, I returned the reel to the dealer." Thank you.

8. InDeepShip

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In My Dreams
    Some of those reels can sit for years before being used I get all my reels serviced no matter what brands. I get them serviced and line put on them at the same time

9. Atomck1

Atomck1 Newbie

Name:
    Tom McKelvey
    Boat:
    The Ark
    The reel was a left hand retrieve model that was not in stock, they had to build it. Dealers do not service new Accurate's.

10. abj5150

abj5150 Service Technician, Advisor and Customer Support. Advertiser

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on

11. abj5150

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on
    I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your reel and further more with our customer service. As the person responsible for the service department, I would normally be in the shop to take your call and/or answer your question on the chat site. I have been incapacitated by a rotator cuff surgery over the past week so you haven't received the response you should have. I do handle calls from home and chats during the day if I see them or become aware of them. I also communicate via BD as I am right now.

The issue you describe is easily remedied and can obviously be covered by the dealer replacing the reel or simply sending it in for a warranty repair. My name is Al Barker. Feel free to call Accurate and ask them to transfer your call to me should you need further assistance. You can also contact me directly on BD or at my email address; [email protected]

Regards
    Al

12. Atomck1

Atomck1 Newbie

Name:
    Tom McKelvey
    Boat:
    The Ark
    Thanks for the reply Al, sorry to hear about the rotator cuff, I've been there and I'm still 'paying the price'. I invited you to join a conversation I have going with Will.

13. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I had a new reel (Valiant 400) off the shelf I sent to Accurate and have the them go through it and described my concerns. They went through it and sent it back, no charge. Great little reel.

14. Atomck1

Atomck1 Newbie

Name:
    Tom McKelvey
    Boat:
    The Ark
    Thank you.
    The point is that I wasn't even sure that I had to send it back. I was inquiring to find out if the back play in the handle was normal for this reel.

I had a little over 2 weeks before my trip to Florida, and no guarantee that I would get the reel back in time.

What were your concerns with a new reel off the shelf?

15. abj5150

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Whatever I can get on
    As I read your post again this morning, I realized that you were comparing a BV-300 with a BV2-500. You can't compare the two for the stated purpose
    As I read your message again this morning, I realized that I missed something last night. You compared a 2 speed reel to a BV-300 single speed reel. That comparison is misleading. A 2 speed reel will always have more play in the handle than a single speed. The backplay in the handle of a two speed is unavoidable due to the mechanics of the reel. Basically 2 gear shafts, two gears and the separation that has to take place. I hav3nt felt the reel you mentioned, but every 2 speed reel will have a slight back play in the handle. What you described might be excessive. But I don't know without having it in my hands.

16. Atomck1

Atomck1 Newbie

Name:
    Tom McKelvey
    Boat:
    The Ark
    I also stated that I had the dealer check a BV2-500: "He checked two reels, a BV2-500 had zero play in the handle." and: " The BV-400 did have noticeable play in the handle, although he said it was somewhat less than what I described". It was the zero play in the handle of the other BV2-500 that heightened my concerns.