New 14' Livingston... What hp should I go with?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Morse, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Morse

Morse Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    Sold others, and now looking
    I've been a long time lurker here, and searching the site I've found these are respectable little boats for their size. Reading here was actually my main reason for buying one. I'm buying the bare hull this week, and will install a console and seating. I already have the 5'' gps sonar combo, fusion stereo, seating, etc for it.. It's rated for up to 40hp with remote steering. I currently have a 2012 25hp etec sitting in the box in my shop, but am wondering if that will be strong enough for this boat with my wife, 2 kids, and myself in the boat. We will use it to just cruise when it's only us. We like cruising at least 25 mph in the intracoastal where we stay most all the time. We also have a 26 cat for when there's more of us. A friend of mine and I will use it for fishing in the gulf when conditions are good enough. He's 250 pounds and I'm 225 pounds. After running a couple smaller boats in the past months, I have a whole new respect for smaller boats. You get a lot of enjoyment with a fraction of the fuel costs.

Anyway, if anyone has information on what speed these will run with different hp, please let me know. My 25 etec is 177 pounds, the 40hp etec is 240 pounds. I don't mind spending the extra money if it's worth it. All advice is very appreciated.

2. 4v1df12h1ng

4v1df12h1ng Sensei

Name:
    Who
    Boat:
    yes pls
    Brad,
    If you have the cash and don't mind spending for extra HP, I would go to next HP higher than what is minimum on the 14 footer. Usually, will end up better fuel eco and less stress on the motor than lower HP motor. I did this on previous boats i had and out come was better. Same goes for cars, had 5.0 mustang had better fuel eco and better response than a 4 or 6 banger engine.. just my 2 cents.. good luck!!

3. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    I have a 14' with 25hp stroke. I fish with one other guy. I have a custom console, 13 gallon bait tank and gear. Leaving the harbor in the morning in flat seas I get 20mph. Coming in with chop and fish in the cooler I get about 17-18 mph. These boats are very seaworthy and handle weight well, but you do notice a drop in speed with each increase in weight.

If you're looking for 25mph with four people I would go larger than 25hp. Problem is with four people you don't have a lot of extra weight capacity to work with.

4. Morse

Morse Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    Is 18 to 20 mph with 2 people wide open or at cruise? How slow will it stay on plane? It will cost $2,000 to $2,500 to trade my 25 up to a 40.

5. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    That's WO. The 25 is agood compromise of weight/power. I have a 13 gallon bait tank mounted on the "T", which adds over a 100lbs when full, so I try to keep weight down everywhere else.

The guy I bought my engine from also had a 14' Livingston and he switched up to a 40hp 2 stroke and said it flew....he only fished the delta though where it's flat ass calm most days. If the ICW where you're at is flat most the time I would think that a little extra weight wouldn't be too bad since you're not going to get swamped by swells. I fish the Monterey Bay which is open ocean, so my main priority is keeping the boat floating high and dry.

6. cksea

cksea <*}}}<

Name:
    CKSEA
    Boat:
    PORTA
    I have a 25hp 2 stroke on mine. With a light load its perfect, 3 guys+bait, gear, bait (13 gal) extra fuel... it will not get on plane.

7. Morse

Morse Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    That's exactly what I would be afraid of. After reading your post, my wife wants me to go ahead and buy a new 40 for it. She wants me to go with the ETEC 40 because it's actually the cheapest one when you factor in it comes with controls gauge, harness, etc.. I'm sure they're all good, but my conscience is telling me to buy a four stroke for this boat.. Hmmm..

8. jbuck

jbuck Member

Name:
    josh
    Boat:
    29' Dyer Hardtop, 210 Ventura
    Why not go for a honda? It would be more money up front. But it's lighter and you will recoup more when you go to sell it.

9. Morse

Morse Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    That would be my first choice. My other boat has a 225 Honda. Unfortunately, the dealer that has the boat wants $6,200 plus controls for it. $5,500 plus accessories for the yamaha 40, $4,700 for the Suzuki plus controls, and I believe I can get the ETEC for $5,000 with controls, prop, harness, and gauge. That could be a couple grand difference all together between the ETEC and Honda when all is said and done.

10. cksea

cksea <*}}}<

Name:
    CKSEA
    Boat:
    PORTA
    tohatsu/mercury 4 stroke EFI 30HP I have done all my homework. I just need my 25hp merc to wear out.

11. 4v1df12h1ng

4v1df12h1ng Sensei

Name:
    Who
    Boat:
    yes pls

I had Yammies 200HP on my previous boat and I heard Etec was not bad also. A friend of friend has the Etec and his good with it. Four stroke has more parts to deal with and heavier but hell a quit motor. great when drifting and hardly notice its running...

12. jbuck

jbuck Member

Name:
    josh
    Boat:
    Sometimes heavier. The 40hp etec is heavy. Heavier then the honda 4stroke. And according to evenrudes website. It's heavier then all 4strokes in that catigory, except Suzuki which is heavier by 3lbs.

13. Morse

Morse Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    I'm a little worried about putting a 240 pound outboard on the back of a 14' boat. The Tohatsu 40 TLDI is 205 pounds, but the dealer doesn't offer them. Also, the price seems to be around $5,500, which is also a negative.. Those that have these boats, would a 240 pound outboard hurt it's performance?

14. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    The boat is rated up to 40hp if it's a 2 stroke. You would be doubling the rated 4 stroke HP. I wouldn't go this route. The transom would likley be sitting pretty low and you wouldn't have a lot of extra weight capacity for gear after you consider the 4 people, battery and fuel. If you want 40HP's I'd find a clean 2 stroke.

15. jbuck

jbuck Member

Name:
    josh
    Boat:

I cannot find anything about 2 stroke/4stroke rating. I can find tiller vs. remote.

I still fail to see how a 205lb 4 stroke is going to be heavier then a 240lb 2 stroke

16. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    I have spoken to a Livingston rep about the 2 stroke/4 stroke rating. My hull, which was made in the late 80's when the market was nearly 100% 2 strokes, has the rating of 40hp. The new ones are rated with a max HP of 20 because the outboard market is nearly 100% 4 stroke. It has nothing to do with HP or strength of the transom and everything to do with weight. The rep is on BD....maybe he'll chime in.

The OP asked about a 240# motor. The Tohatsu would be a better option at 205#. Just my opinion.

17. Morse

Morse Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    Looks like another dealer that's much closer to home is willing to give me a better deal on the boat, but they won't take my 25 on trade. ARG marine gave me a great quote on a new 40 trading my 25. He told me putting a couple hours on it wouldn't hurt the trade in value since it's considered used even though it's currently in the crate. He told me to try it, and if I wanted more power afterwords, just bring the boat to him and they would switch them out.

As far as the Tohatsu, I called and got a price earlier. Over $5,500 for it. More than the etec 40.

18. Morse

Morse Newbie

Name:
    Brad
    Boat:
    Well, I got slightly carried away. Andros Boatworks in Sarasota now has the boat. They're installing a new 40 etec, a lightweight nida core floor with hatches for storage, a new console with a front seat/cooler, new steering, rigging/etc. Even one of those fancy steering wheels they put on their boats. haha... Andy told me he'll have it on the water next week. After that, it goes back to a tubing shop to build the rear bench seat. Then the Stereo, garmin, and radio have to be installed. Should end up pretty nice.. I'll be sure to post the performance numbers after I go for a ride..
    I forgot to mention, I had myself convinced to try the 25 first. I still wish I could have, but Andy (president of Andros) just offered too good of a deal for it while it was still in the crate. If it had hours on it, he would be less inclined to put top dollar in it. I hope the heavy motor won't make it handle poorly. My battery is being moved forward under the console, so that should help a little.

19. cksea

cksea <*}}}<

Name:
    CKSEA
    Boat:
    PORTA
    cant wait to see pictures of it.

20. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    Just wanted to bump this to the top. Post some pictutres when you have it out of the shop. I want to see how you accomplished the storage in the floors. I've been thinking a lot about how to best do this. Had my boat out yesterday and kept thinking how nice it would be to have storage and/or a fish hold in the floor.