Never owned a boat want to see if anyone can guide me on what to purchase

Athletics1986

Dec 7, 2019
Menifee CA
Name
Felix
Boat
N/A
Want to thank u for viewing my post, so I live in menifee area and there is lots of local lakes that I'm interested in fishing on but I would also like to take it out in the ocean not to far out more inshore fishing. Would want to see what brand and size boat would be recommended. I've looked at a few mako boats at bass pro like the 18lts and a bayliner that I was told to stay away from. I would like to stay under 40k prefer a new boat I'll be using mostly in diamond Valley and perris for local bass and striper fishing and for ocean something that can work inshore better if I can do offshore. Is mako brand good ? Really like the parker, grady white, and ranger boats but there expensive to purchase new. A mako boat is at a affordable price depending on the model really like the 18ft lts but I dont know if it would work good in the ocean. Thanks hope someone can guide me.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
If you have to go new, check out the Arima Sea Angler. The come in 17’ or 19’ platforms. It’s the same hull as my sea ranger (almost, there’s been some minor modifications over the years).

I’ve had my Sea Ranger in Perris, DVL, Big Bear, Hemet, Elsinore, and even up to Convict lake in the Sierras. Ok, so that’s just lakes. I’ve had my Arima out 40+ miles offshore chasing tuna and yellowtail.

I’m not affiliated with Arima or Defiance in any way, just a fan of the brand. I would suggest taking a good look at them. Also, Inland Boat Center is a dealer for Defiance/Arima. The don’t keep Arima’s in stock, but they will order them. Might see a used one in there though.

You asked if Mako boats are decent boats. I’d say they are good boats, as there’s a lot of older ones still around. Then again, there’s still old Bayliners around too. There’s not a lot of Bayliner fans out there, but I’ve seen plenty of them. From what I’ve gathered is Bayliner builds their larger boats better, but I’ve never looked close at either to confirm this.

In closing I will say this. I know it’s nice to own anything from new, but you can get a lot for 40k in the used market.

split172

Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
You have many options, and I wouldn’t limit myself to only new boats. $40k can get you much more of a boat than at new. Remember if you fish local lakes, you have certain motor restrictions. Therefore, you are looking for a 4 stroke or DFI outboard. When fishing local lakes, what type of fishing are you doing? If you are a bass fisherman, you will want a boat capable of having a trolling motor and likely low gunnels. So maybe look for an intracoastal. If you are doing more towards trolling/drift fishing then I would say go with a center console.

For ocean, I would say buy as big as you can afford. Something with a nice deep v to go far out. Or the intracoastal staying more local.

I would really narrow it down by type of fishing. If you are mainly going to be doing freshwater, then just get a bass boat. You will be happier you did than trying to find an all around boat for both salt and fresh.

Here’s a few to check out. Much cheaper than new and you have extra money to rig how you want.

Last edited:

Athletics1986

Dec 7, 2019
Menifee CA
Name
Felix
Boat
N/A
If you have to go new, check out the Arima Sea Angler. The come in 17’ or 19’ platforms. It’s the same hull as my sea ranger (almost, there’s been some minor modifications over the years).

I’ve had my Sea Ranger in Perris, DVL, Big Bear, Hemet, Elsinore, and even up to Convict lake in the Sierras. Ok, so that’s just lakes. I’ve had my Arima out 40+ miles offshore chasing tuna and yellowtail.

I’m not affiliated with Arima or Defiance in any way, just a fan of the brand. I would suggest taking a good look at them. Also, Inland Boat Center is a dealer for Defiance/Arima. The don’t keep Arima’s in stock, but they will order them. Might see a used one in there though.

You asked if Mako boats are decent boats. I’d say they are good boats, as there’s a lot of older ones still around. Then again, there’s still old Bayliners around too. There’s not a lot of Bayliner fans out there, but I’ve seen plenty of them. From what I’ve gathered is Bayliner builds their larger boats better, but I’ve never looked close at either to confirm this.

In closing I will say this. I know it’s nice to own anything from new, but you can get a lot for 40k in the used market.

Thank u your your reply I will saw a few pics of them they look like they have lots of room and will do good in catalina. For 40k what would be ideal for a used boat. I'm a mechanic I know how it is with used stuff sometimes u get lucky sometimes there will be work that will need to get put in, just didn't want to stress and deal but il always willing to check out used ones also thanks for your feedback again.

Athletics1986

Dec 7, 2019
Menifee CA
Name
Felix
Boat
N/A
You have many options, and I wouldn’t limit myself to only new boats. $40k can get you much more of a boat than at new. Remember if you fish local lakes, you have certain motor restrictions. Therefore, you are looking for a 4 stroke or DFI outboard. When fishing local lakes, what type of fishing are you doing? If you are a bass fisherman, you will want a boat capable of having a trolling motor and likely low gunnels. So maybe look for an intracoastal. If you are doing more towards trolling/drift fishing then I would say go with a center console.

For ocean, I would say buy as big as you can afford. Something with a nice deep v to go far out. Or the intracoastal staying more local.

I would really narrow it down by type of fishing. If you are mainly going to be doing freshwater, then just get a bass boat. You will be happier you did than trying to find an all around boat for both salt and fresh.

Here’s a few to check out. Much cheaper than new and you have extra money to rig how you want.

Thanks for your response I'm looking to do bass fishing and striper fishing so a trolling motor will definitely be needed. For ocean I wanted to stay local and do rock fishing, calico and hopefully yellowtail if the conditions are right I'm sure the mako listing u sent me should be ok what u think? I've been looking at a new one from bass pro shop is a 2018 lts and has no accessories there asking 23k new. Just want that perfect boat I'm going to be happy with and that I can take a couple people out for some fishing that's not horrible on gas.

split172

Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
My opinion if you take out on ocean, you will want a boat with higher gunnels. Just much safer in my opinion. But if you want that mako, I would buy used. The one I listed is $10k less for the same thing. Has low hours and looks decent. BUT must do your due diligence before buying. Buying used you can update electronics and trolling motor if needed.

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
JUST WANT THAT PERFECT BOAT? really for a first time owner? Do you have friends with boats? Have you been out with them? Do you REALLY plan to fish in the ocean? If your primary use is freshwater then look for a freshwater boat. Completely unrealistic to find one for both unless you buy an ocean boat to use in freshwater. With that being said Mako is a great boat as is a Parker but you will pay a lot more than 40k new. Happy hunting and welcome to the world of owning a boat. Not sure you will like it but you never know until you try.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Thank u your your reply I will saw a few pics of them they look like they have lots of room and will do good in catalina. For 40k what would be ideal for a used boat. I'm a mechanic I know how it is with used stuff sometimes u get lucky sometimes there will be work that will need to get put in, just didn't want to stress and deal but il always willing to check out used ones also thanks for your feedback again.
Being a mechanic is a good thing if you want to own a boat. New or used, they are always projects. I know a few people that have bought new boats and finding themselves going through the boat because they didn’t like how things were done (usually electrical). As an owner of several boats, I don’t mind used as long as the hull, deck, and transom is in decent shape. I don’t like doing fiberglass work. Mechanical and electrical, I’m gonna go through it anyways because I want to know how it’s rigged, and if I have a problem on the water (because that’s when problems always happen) I want to know what I’m dealing with.

What can you get with 40k in the used market?? Just about anything you want! Since you are targeting mostly fresh water species, and the occasional inshore ocean trip, a center console would be ideal where a lot of jig casting is involved. I mentioned the Arima because I know they are comfortable in just about any lake, and they handle the ocean quite well. They are not deep V boats, so a rough sea can be uncomfortable on them, but you won’t feel unsafe. Makos are good boats, but my biggest gripe about makos is the open transom. I’ve heard a few stories of those boats getting flooded from the rear. Keep in mind, that can happen to ANY boat, but boats like the Arima have a splash well in front of the transom. I’ve had a few scary waves come up my tail end, and the boat just lifts up like a cork.

otteray

May 31, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA
Name
Ray
Boat
22', Sport, Balance Due
Striper makes great well built fishing boats, too. A 18' deep v will be great for a few miles offshore in fair weather and not cumbersome for small lakes.

kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
you need 2 boats. a lake boat and a ocean boat. if you are mechanical, and would be into a project ocean boat, i have a skipjack 24'open with twin volvo's in it that need work. make you a sweet deal on. 1219171628 (1).jpg

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
you need 2 boats. a lake boat and a ocean boat. if you are mechanical, and would be into a project ocean boat, i have a skipjack 24'open with twin volvo's in it that need work. make you a sweet deal on. View attachment 1106671
Scott, you’re selling her??? Man... she is a sweet boat. Twin diesels in that girl would be AWESOME!

Nannook N

May 14, 2009
los angeles
Name
gary smith
Boat
44 pacifica
COME CHECK OUT MY RANGER BASS BOAT 18 FEET MER OUT BOARD 175 60 HRS ON MOTER NEW TROLING MOTER AUTO TROLE MINKOTA 2,000 DOLLERS NICE TRAILER WITH SPAIR CANNOT BEAT THE PRICE 7,500 BLUE AND WHITE NEW TUNE UP WATER PUMP RUNS GREAT GARY 310 5601159

Nannook N

May 14, 2009
los angeles
Name
gary smith
Boat
44 pacifica
Want to thank u for viewing my post, so I live in menifee area and there is lots of local lakes that I'm interested in fishing on but I would also like to take it out in the ocean not to far out more inshore fishing. Would want to see what brand and size boat would be recommended. I've looked at a few mako boats at bass pro like the 18lts and a bayliner that I was told to stay away from. I would like to stay under 40k prefer a new boat I'll be using mostly in diamond Valley and perris for local bass and striper fishing and for ocean something that can work inshore better if I can do offshore. Is mako brand good ? Really like the parker, grady white, and ranger boats but there expensive to purchase new. A mako boat is at a affordable price depending on the model really like the 18ft lts but I dont know if it would work good in the ocean. Thanks hope someone can guide me.

kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
yeah i want to get rid of the flybridge also. (not yours) the one i went in on with tommy. i don't have time to use the boat that's ready to use, let alone working on projects. need to thin the herd, and spend more time enjoying what i have.
Scott, you’re selling her??? Man... she is a sweet boat. Twin diesels in that girl would be AWESOME!

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
yeah i want to get rid of the flybridge also. (not yours) the one i went in on with tommy. i don't have time to use the boat that's ready to use, let alone working on projects. need to thin the herd, and spend more time enjoying what i have.

I totally understand! Once my skipjack is working, I’ll be thinning my herd as well.

That 24 open will be a nice boat for someone.

StinkEye

Oct 2, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
KA
Boat
18' Outrage
Look at Thresher Boats as well. I've never been in one, but guys that have them seem to really like them. They seem to be a great value. It is a Local owned company that has been around for a good number of years now.
I read that a couple years back they moved manufacturing of the hull from China to Ensenada.

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Have you looked at bay boats? Really good for pretty much anything. I just bought one in Texas and had it shipped here. I have a Skeeter zx20 bay. 20ft 150hp Yamaha VMax with less than 100 hours. They’re very popular down south for fishing inshore and light offshore which it sounds like you want to do.

Attachments