"Never good enough" 23.5' Key Largo custom project

fish772

Feb 28, 2014
Name
Scott Hixon
Boat
24' Key largo
Here it is, My 23.5' Key Largo the day I bought it in 2010. Over all it's a decent no frills fishing boat but soon I started seeing things that could be better.

IMG_0507.JPG

Upvote 0

fish772

Feb 28, 2014
Name
Scott Hixon
Boat
24' Key largo
I made the new backrest with Coosa board, moved the rod holders to the top of it so I could build some tackle storage into the back of the seat.

I was also lucky enough to find some cushions for the backrest and the rear seat that matched the boat.View attachment 510639 View attachment 510640 View attachment 510641 View attachment 510642 View attachment 510643 View attachment 510644 View attachment 510645 View attachment 510646
IMG_0822.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2029.JPG
IMG_2156.JPG
IMG_2179.JPG

I also changed the starboard bait well lid to clear acrylic, just for looks.
View attachment 510648

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fish772

Feb 28, 2014
Name
Scott Hixon
Boat
24' Key largo
The next project for this boat began as me just wanting a simple hard top cause I thought it would be better than replacing the canvas every 5 years, however as most of my projects do, it grew into something much bigger. Later tonight I will start posting pictures .

Upvote 0

Stomper

Clatu Verada Fishon
Oct 2, 2009
Humboldt Bay, Ca.
pages.suddenlink.net
Name
Robert Reed
Boat
15 foot pilothouse trihull with radar and other electronics from hell
Dunno if they are phone pics or what, but you need a photo editing program or something online to view the image, then rotate it 90 degrees and lastly to save it that way. After saving, it should be the way you want it. Wherever they are posted, maybe the hosting service has a rotation function. Hf ard to just tell you how to do it but you need to rotate and then save and then repost or rotate them and save them wherever they are now.

Nice job on the boat and swimstep mount. I like that solution. It gives the best configuration you could have. Did it result in any dolphining or other odd behaviours on the run?

Upvote 0

fish772

Feb 28, 2014
Name
Scott Hixon
Boat
24' Key largo
Thanks for the suggestions I'm still trying to fix the pictures. I did not notice any difference in the ride except it gets on plane at lower speeds. I am very happy with the results.

Upvote 0

fish772

Feb 28, 2014
Name
Scott Hixon
Boat
24' Key largo
So as I said before I started the next phase wanting to simply replace my canvas top with a hard top by cutting the top of the frame of and having mounting pads welded on to bolt the top on. Then I realized the existing t-top frame may not be able to support the extra weight. The only answer was I need to build a new frame and since I'm building a new top and frame then a new console is a must and a new seat with good tackle storage. And if that's not ambitious enough due to my thought process it was built from the top down. Please keep in mind that I am completely self taught in the art of building with fiberglass and welding aluminum so try not to be to critical.

I started by using three large pieces of glass with wood blocks under the sides to get the curved shape for the top. The top is two layers of 1/2' materials such as Plasticore (honeycomb), Corecell, and coosa all with staggered seems. Between the two layers I vacuum bagged a layer of biaxial to hold the two layers together.
IMG_2198.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

After the two halves were laminated together I laid it upside down and began constructing the electronics box.
IMG_3005.JPG

The box was meant to direct air around the driver but ended up looking like a boat hull, this was later changed. Also in the picture above you can see the nav. lights lens in the corner.
In the picture below you can see the Coosa board pieces that are glassed in were the frame will attach and the outriggers will be mounted. Unfortunately this picture also shows a layer of glass that I forgot to add hardener. That took about 6 hrs of work to remove and get ready for adding glass.

IMG_3017.JPG

As I said before I did not like the original shape of the box so it changed.

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

I then flipped it over and glassed the top. In the spots that the frame bolts will be installed the coosa sections are raised 1/4 of an inch higher so water will be shed away from the bolts and holes, also towards the back is a small ridge to deflect the water to the back corners.

IMG_3079.JPG

Since I am doing this project from the top down I had to get the top up to work under it so I constructed this frame. With this I could move it up and down back and forth by myself.

IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_3199.JPG

Now with the top almost ready for paint its time to start on the console and frame but first I couldn't resist hooking up a battery to the nav. light to see how they work.

IMG_3091.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG

They are very bright, to bright, I had to sand the back of the acrylic to diffuse the light a little.

Upvote 0

fish772

Feb 28, 2014
Name
Scott Hixon
Boat
24' Key largo
Next I started this console, the construction is all coosa and fiberglass and is just about the same dimensions as the original but I added a much larger panel and a foot rest built in. The door on the original console faces the driver and the new one will be on the side. You can refer back to the first picture in the post to see the original I don't have a better picture.

I used cardboard to mock up and make changes before I started cutting coosa.

IMG_3206.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

this is the cardboard mock up on the boat , I spent a lot of time sitting, staring, measuring, and thinking.

IMG_3204.JPG
IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

Then I started the seat base and backrest.
IMG_3814.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3928.PNG

Fishing break
IMG_3932.PNG

IMG_3934.JPG

back to the project, time for some glass

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

the cut-outs are were the tackle storage will be installed.

IMG_4037.JPG
IMG_4061.JPG
IMG_4063.JPG

That's it we are up to date so the pictures will slow down a bit hopefully it will be ready for paint in a month or so.

Upvote 0

fish772

Feb 28, 2014
Name
Scott Hixon
Boat
24' Key largo
nice work man! im digging the hard top, what type of foam did you use for the structure?
Thanks , most of the top is plasticore(honeycomb material) with I think its called corecell around the edges for shaping. I may be wrong on the name corecell but it is a medium density foam board and its green.

Upvote 0

fish772

Feb 28, 2014
Name
Scott Hixon
Boat
24' Key largo
I finally started the storage boxes that will be in the sides and rear of the seat.
These are plugs for molds.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FatBoy4130

Jun 7, 2012
RSM O.C
Name
B Wolfe
Boat
FATBOY
Great Work !!! Can't wait to see the rest.. Nothing like sitting back and not believing you just built that between steps !!!

Upvote 0

Latest posts