Nesika & Rockaway Surf Rod! GT, Bonefish, Ray, Shark Strikes!

Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    The Nesika Has The Same Rod Blank as The Rockaway But Different Componentry!
    The show starts at 4:40 if you want to bypass the reviews.

The Nesika is offered in 9', 10' & 12'. The Rockaway is offered in 8'-12'. Rockaway Rods were developed by Okuma for the Sea Perch Surf Anglers off Oregon. It latter became a hit in Hawaii where the componentry was altered to bring the MSRP down to under $100 though the rod blank remained the same. For myself i prefer the Nesika because it's a bit lighter in weight & i prefer the split grip configuration.

I currently have all the sizes but i prefer the full 12 footers for medium surf casting. Both rods were offered in a 50/50 configuration until the Rockaway HD's were released with a 70/30 configuration. So i'm including a few strikes & catches using the 12ft Nesika in this review.

Reactions: Tom123 and Tunahead
    Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    This one was pretty good.

I like the part where the lightning knocked you on your arse as you were reeling in the fish. Nice recovery, I could barely even notice it.

I hope the baby Hammerhead made it. She looked a little gassed at the end.

Are you fishing one rod only?

Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    This one was pretty good.

I like the part where the lightning knocked you on your arse as you were reeling in the fish. Nice recovery, I could barely even notice it.

I hope the baby Hammerhead made it. She looked a little gassed at the end.

Are you fishing one rod only?

Still being the best you are, huh One_Leg? My friend got me medical treatment that day as i was having muscular contractions after the blinding light as he was my fishing buddy, my action cam was sent in because of the fritzing as can be noticed in the opening shot minutes after everything went white, and i'll be sending a copy of my med report to the Admins here if they need it showing what kind of person you are calling me a liar and making light of what happen to me. Your current & past remarks to me show others in this nice group what kind of person you are. Took days for my hands to stop trembling! But you make light of me & what happened? I also contacted Okuma that day because of the gear that needed replacing. You can check with Okuma on that. But if getting disoriented & having my vision slightly blurred gave you a chuckle than i hope it made your day.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

• May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat Name
    Christina Ann
    Those are some long sticks. LOL Cool video.
    As you know buddy the Rockaway was the first to be released. It was for the Sea Perchers off Oregon. But the whippers in Hawaii found it to be a great spin casting rod so Okuma used the same blank but different componentry to make the Nesika w/a split grip. I still use it for dunking & whipping. 2yr ago John Bretza made a Sea Perch Rod for CA usage. The Rockaway SP.

But that had the attributes for a super UL casting rod. I can only assume Sea Perch in CA averages slightly smaller than those off Oregon, but not sure. I like these rods, from whipping to dunking. UL to Medium power applications.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    I never said you are lying, and I am glad you are alive and well.

I thought you were struck by the lightning at the 7:23 mark, when you landed on your backside, while reeling in your bonefish.

But upon watching the video again, I now realize that the lightning strike was before the clip begins and was not captured on camera.

Sorry for the confusion. No need to get your doctors to prove to BD's owners that something happened to you.

Any pics of the rod after you received the jolt?

Upvote 0