Neither Fish Finder Powering Up

NatureDriven

Mar 13, 2021
Name
Scott Seward
Boat
2005 Starcraft C-Star 170
Hi All, I recently acquired an '04 Starcraft C-Star 170 equipped with front and center console fish finders. The boat was sitting since 2011, but prior to was fished often with zero issues with the finders. Now that I own it and have replaced the batteries, fuses throughout the boat, motor work, etc., she's back to being a fishing machine. Only issue left are the fish finders, I can't get either to power up. The units have been kept in their protective bags untouched the entire time the boat sat.

I checked the cords with a volt meter and there is power. Anyone have suggestions what else I could check?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
You checked power at the plug end where it connects to the head units on both? To me it sounds like there’s a circuit breaker that controls both units that’s popped on the boat somewhere. But if you’re have 12v at both power plugs for the head units that’s not the case. Have you ever seen them work? Or is it just the word of the previous owner that they worked?

NatureDriven
NatureDriven
Yes, checked the power plug at the end connecting to the units and showing power. I used to fish the boat prior to it sitting, it was my brothers, and they always worked without a hitch. So strange.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Plus One

Coming along...
Aug 24, 2011
Hemet
Name
Jason
Boat
Plus One
You checked power at the plug end where it connects to the head units on both? To me it sounds like there’s a circuit breaker that controls both units that’s popped on the boat somewhere. But if you’re have 12v at both power plugs for the head units that’s not the case. Have you ever seen them work? Or is it just the word of the previous owner that they worked?
I’m the previous owner, also the OPs brother. I know for certain the HDS-5 at the console worked great when I was running the boat. The hummingbird up front has/had a wiring issue (maybe chewed) but still showing power to the plug. We’re stumped.

Reactions: NatureDriven
Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
I’m the previous owner, also the OPs brother. I know for certain the HDS-5 at the console worked great when I was running the boat. The hummingbird up front has/had a wiring issue (maybe chewed) but still showing power to the plug. We’re stumped.
Are both units on the same circuit? Whether that be a fuse or breaker

Upvote 0

zing1402

• Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    Are both units on the same circuit? Whether that be a fuse or breaker
    If you can’t fuck your family who can you fuck? But on a serious note sounds like bad ground if you have power to both units the simplest way to check is with a test light just put the ground clamp to power and prove the negative side

NatureDriven
    NatureDriven
    Just to be clear, my bro gave me the boat so I'm ok with getting fucked on the finders. LOL Right bro?! 😉
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    I like most of the trouble shooting suggestions above. Also make sure you have ENOUGH voltage at the plug to make the units work. If the voltage is below 11 they may not work. If wiring is old, damaged, frayed it might be dropping voltage and is in serious need of replacement. Scrub your pins on unit with baking soda and a toothbrush too. You can also try powering up the head units with someone else’s boat that has the same device. Or make a power supply that you can use the MFD from the comforts of home plugging in waypoints for your next trip. I did a thread a while back on how to make one, inexpensively, from a few parts on Amazon.
    Good luck!!

Upvote 0

pete j

Mar 17, 2012
    lompoc ca usa
    Name
    pete
    Boat
    Slayliner
    Might sound stupid but I did it. My garmin finder has a backing plate that the wires stay in so you can remove just the head unit. They have a little plastic piece thats suppose to hold the wires in place when you remove or put unit back on and lets just say they dont always work. To make a long story short make sure your plugs are plugging in all the way

Upvote 0

NatureDriven

Mar 13, 2021
    Name
    Scott Seward
    Boat
    2005 Starcraft C-Star 170
    I really appreciate everyone taking the time to make some suggestions. I didn't realize I was getting responses to the post so I apologize for not coming back and responding sooner. I'm going to continue trying everyone's suggestions the next couple weeks and see what I can come up with. Thank you.

Reactions: Plus One
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Use the ground on the plug to check for power.

That way both power in and ground out get a basic check out.

Upvote 0