Needlefish invasion

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
usually throwing a kastmaster in the surf when u get bit your on...
Missing fish doesn't happen often til this week ...
Bait is on the beach at dog beach and the fishin has been fun ...
Nothin big but Since I'm with my dogs and limited to a 1/4 mile area just glad the fish are there
I'm sure if you walked the beach the bigger fish could be found...
This week the needlefish have completely taken over and seemed to have pushed most everything else out ..
Get bit 5 or 6 times on every cast unless I slow roll the bottom..Hook one about every 30 or so bites up and down the whole dog beach. They are hard to handle nasty fuckers with teeth flyin everywhere when tryin to unhook em especially with my dogs tryin to jump and grab em..I know when they get big they are dangerous.. the panga guys have told me stories of them fuckin people up...
I know they have been here a long time ... used to see giants under the bait dock in del Rey many years ago but I've been surf fishin a long time and have never seen volume like this anywhere...
Are u guys seein concentrations of em in other places.??..

max

Jul 22, 2005
la
Name
michael
Boat
23 maycraft max
I have not noticed any around Santa Monica but have noticed a recent influx of Mullet jumping around.

Reactions: yellowfish26

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I haven’t hooked one yet, but saw one chase one of my lucky crafts in the other day just to the south of the dog beach. It was a first for me and didn’t think anyone would believe me.

fishkilr

.better to be a has-been than a never-was..
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
I have not noticed any around Santa Monica but have noticed a recent influx of Mullet jumping around.
The mullet have been here for years also ...
Guys snagging em on veterans pier and alamitos beach all day ...

eric perez

stillapinhead
Mar 3, 2018
Newport Beach Ca
Name
eric perez
Boat
no mas
I would love to hook some from the surf. Used to catch monster toads in Cabo. Have never seen any in the Newport area... and have been fishin it quite a bit this year... surprisingly we got 2 halibut the other evening... a 20" and a 25"... on Caivo 2" / 28g stick... white refl / glow back. good fight on 10lb in the surf!

20190921_210111.jpg 20190921_190346.jpg

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
I haven't came across any this season, but last year I was getting double hookups on a double dropper with sand worms.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
In S Bay thick. Really annoying.

Johnlgarrison

The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.
Jul 27, 2009
Temecula CA USA!
www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
Name
Johnny Garrison
Boat
Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
When I was a kid fishing the Seal Beach jetties we would take nylon thread and wind 8 to 10 loops onto the hook of a Rooster Tail. We would catch tons of them and most of the time they were not even hooked simply had their teeth tangled in the thread.

Reactions: Chicago Pete

Latest posts