Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
USS Howard W Gilmore AS-16 Sub Pac6
Rub some mud on it and get back to fishing already
Think I’ll stick to diving after seeing this. Much safer than the dangerous sport you guys engage in without a thought of the deckhands giving due warning like. “Watch the Needle fish” The importance of steel neck collars will now be reguired no doubt, more restriction. 1st it was sandals you told me I couldn’t wear even with socks.
I would also be labored with lugging more heavy gear on the boat to protect my neck area as well as my feet. You fisherman really take chance by not telling the new guys they could get killed on one of these adventures.

Last edited:

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
Is that considered a legal catch? But seriously was the guy ok?
He survived but if I were wearing my expensive HUK UV protected camo hoodie that matched perfectly with my Pelagic shorts it would add considerably to my wardrobe allowance. Getting fish slime on my clothes is difficult enough for me to worry about.

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Not safe in the water. I realize divers have masks and wetsuit protection, ect

Good buddy and a very very good surfer. Was surfing the rivermouth on a beautiful sunny morning. Light warm tropical offshore winds and he had the Boca all to himself. 5-8 foot draining spitting tubes. Sheet glass. As he was paddling back out after a magical barrel ride. A baby needle fish skipped along the surface and speared him in the eye. The inside between eye and eye socket. It was a baby needle fish with a thin needle. The needle broke off in his eye. He went in. And had the needle removed. The needle was in between eye and eye socket. No eye damage. He moved away

Ocean is a very dangerous place when part of the eco system. Beware :D

Could had been his nut sack or the eye pupil. Needle fish can penetrate a wetsuit.

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
Aug 21, 2008
Chula Vista/Ca/USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
What would you rather have, that or one of those small catfish in South America that swim up your pee hole headfirst and lodge their spines in your urethra so you cant yank em out without tearing your shit up?

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
What would you rather have, that or one of those small catfish in South America that swim up your pee hole headfirst and lodge their spines in your urethra so you cant yank em out without tearing your shit up?
I have special underwear around when I encounter these,
3260F1D9-3B21-4C81-8B64-DD770384E15D.jpeg

Reactions: yellowfish26

FishRock

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
OOOOOUUUUUUCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
Sulawesi monster needle it was my friend.

Reactions: FishRock

$norkle

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2008
Corvallis,OR
Name
Bruce
Boat
In my dreams!
That's the candiru. They are normally parasitic on large fishes in the Amazon, usually large catfish. They are attracted to urea which is excreted by fishes across the gill membranes-----the candiru will follow the concentration gradient to its source. In the case of people or other mammals it becomes a tragic mistake for both. As soon as the candiru realizes there's no water (therefore oxygen) up there it locks its pectoral spines and soon dies. Just imagine having a now rotting little catfish in your ureter. Its no wonder they are feared more than piranha or any other beast in the Amazon. There is an entire book written about them.

Reactions: Workplacesafety

raw66

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 23, 2014
San Juan Capistrano
Name
Gary M
Boat
That's the candiru. They are normally parasitic on large fishes in the Amazon, usually large catfish. They are attracted to urea which is excreted by fishes across the gill membranes-----the candiru will follow the concentration gradient to its source. In the case of people or other mammals it becomes a tragic mistake for both. As soon as the candiru realizes there's no water (therefore oxygen) up there it locks its pectoral spines and soon dies. Just imagine having a now rotting little catfish in your ureter. Its no wonder they are feared more than piranha or any other beast in the Amazon. There is an entire book written about them.
True but Penis fish is not the topic of this thread and some wise guy interjected that into the conversation. If you want to talk about penis fish start another thread!!!

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Years ago we had some giants under the bait dock in del rey ...then after leaving there never saw another one til these last 3 years where the small ones are so thick in the harbor in long beach when the water warms it's hard to not catch em..
Nasty line shredding fuckers I want nothing to do with...
Tried to grab one to unhook it and it spun on me and grabbed my arm pin holling about 6 inches...
They dont even pull. Useless

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
Back in the early 80's there was a ripper dorado bite down in Cabo pretty much all the way from Gray Rock to Palmilla, right on the beach. Every day. So in the afternoon after fishing up on the Gordo Bank we'd swing in there.

These were really nice dorado, but those God Damned needlefish were like flies. The dorado wanted the bigger marlin lures, and we sufferd a lot of damage....bastards.

Last edited: