Needing advice from the pros, the vets, and the lucky. very much appreciated.

Envy115

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego
Name
Tommy Chang
Boat
1989 Seaswirl
Hello fishermen.

So finally. its time. It's time to leave from San Diego and go on a 2 nighter. I am primarily a pier, jetty, and off the coast kind of fisherman. I have for the most part light gear, and the heaviest stuff i have is 15 pound test. I need a new setup. My other friend told me to get a big rod for the tuna and another setup for the yellowtail. Does that seem feasible? I don't have too much money and although I was considering renting something, I know the time will come when I would like to have my own gear for big tuna and even yellow tail. I don't have a reel for yellow tail yet. I'm thinking about this calcutta b for the yellow tail. but have no idea about the big tuna. I am a college student and dont have alot of money. but on the other hand really don't want to rent a rod, when I could use that money towards my own. I'm in a bind. Any suggestions for cheap but reliable gear and suggestions for the line for fail proof having to catch a tuna. I'm leaving in the end of August but need to prepare. PLEEEASE HELP! if you have some time or know some stuff about the big tuna fish. I rarely post on this forum cuz i'm never out on the boat doing it big like some of you lucky chaps out there. If you have any suggestions for gear, and just overall advice for a first time tuna fishing trip. Please. come one come all. thank you so much.!

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
My suggestion would be to find something in the 30-50 Lb. class that will suite both yellowtail and most of the tuna you will come accros. I don't know brand model numbers to throw at you, but look in the classifieds for some good deals. You probably would want something that would be good for bait and jig since your on a budget, and two rigs might not be feasible. Your budget will determine what will best suit your needs. don't be afraid to barter trade, or offer some sort of service. Being a college student you might have time on the weekends to do a little side work to get that nice rig. I've sold plenty of past hobby toys to fund the purchase of gear and boat parts. As for line, It might be an issue of preference, but I simply go with braid, and something strong enough to handle just about any situation. I like braid for this idea since you can pack a lot of it on a reel, and it's very strong. I usually pack with 80# and just keep small amounts of mono or flouro for top shots. some boats don't like braid on their boat since it will slice right through mono, and can piss off your fellow anglers, so I would check with the boats rules before spooling up, but every boat I've been on didn't have a problem with it, and keeping courteous to others will make for a better day. Make sure to have a decent aray of hooks and weights for different conditions. Keep an eye on the bait situation so you know what your going to be needing. If the sardines and mini macs are available, plenty of 2/0 hooks would be a good idea, abut have some smaller ones incase chovies are the option of choice. Grab a few Irons for jigging and yoyo if you can just to be prepared. You should get some good advice on this thread, and hopefully mine is helpful to you. I've been a poor fisherman most of my life, and still am today. It's good to be resourceful.

if1sh

Nov 8, 2010
Mira Mesa
Name
Van
Boat
Your Calcutta is gonna get its ass whooped on a 2 nights trip. Rental rods... Lol.... Not recommended. You should get familiar with your gear before going on a 2 nights. Get a couple of avet. Affordable and reliable. If you can afford a 2 nighter...... You should be able to afford some avet reels.

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Use BD Classifieds. Theres a guy selling a silver Avet JX 6/3 two speed on there for $250. Another guy is selling a bunch of seeker graphite rods for atound $100 each. Get a 20-50# rod. Load the JX with spectra leaving only a room for a fluoro leader. Get leader material from 30-40 and you can switch as needed. This won't catch "big" tuna but it is perfect for 90% of what you need on a 2 day trip.

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
Roseville, CA
Name
Jim Fujitani
Boat
21' Seaswirl
Since your budget is restricting you:

What ever you decide on, make sure that you take care of your equipment. Rinse your reels, rods, and any terminal gear that you keep after a trip (jigs, weights) with fresh water. Let the equipment air dry and then spray with salt-away, corrosion X, or other corrosion fighting material that won't harm your lines. You can look at tutorials on how to service your reels.

Most fish caught on trips 3 days or less can be handled on single speed reels. Even the BFT up to 60-70 pounds can be tamed by a one speed reel. 2-speeds are nice if you can afford them and service them (or pay for them to be serviced).

My first 2-speed was a Penn 50SW, what a mistake (it was a deal, new, from a shop)!! Now, it goes out occasionally as a trolling rig. I caught all of my bigger fish on one speeds until I could easily afford the 2-speed reels. The money you spend on a good used 2-speed reel could also be spent on 2 complete used outfits with one speed reels.

Spend your money going fishing more often!!

Just my 2 cents, having been in your shoes years ago...

Jim

J Woodman

I know nothing
Dec 8, 2006
Ventura
Name
Jeff
Boat
15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
Even though I am a big fan of Avet and own about a dozen of them, I also know what it is like to be short on funds. Avet reels are some of the best on the market and for sure a great reel for the price, but there are cheaper reels that will work on a budget.

If you have friends that fish, ask them what to get or better yet, ask if you can borrow their gear. You are looking for something that will hold at least 250 + - yards of #30 mono line. A Shimano Torium 16 or 20, or a Diawa Saltist 30 or 40, or even a Penn 320 or 500 will work for you. With most new fishing gear, you get what you pay for. The above reels won't last the way an Avet does, but they don't cost as much either. I recommend that you have at least 2 rods on the boat, one for #20 line, your Calcutta will work for that, and one for #30 line. If your budget allows, get a rod for #40 line also. Leave the #15 rods at home.

For a rod, I am a big fan of Seeker and Calstar. I own a bunch of those also, but they aren't cheap. You are looking for a 7' -8' conventional rod, not a spinning rod, rated about 30-50 lbs. For a budget rod go to Big 5 and buy a Shakespeare Ugly Stik Tiger or Sabre Stroker. Both of these rods go on sale several times a year. If either of these rods are not on sale ask if they will give you the sale price.

For line, braid is best with a top shot of mono, but like everything above it is expensive. For your first time buy a 1/4 lb. spool of Trilene Big Game, or Izorline in #20 and #30. Don't be tempted to buy "First String". Everybody sells it and noobs always seem to buy it.

For hooks on a budget, you can't go wrong with Mustad 94150 hooks. They come in 50 packs and you will want 1 pack each of #4 and #2 for anchovies, #2/0 for sardines, and #4/0 for squid. You can buy better and more expensive hooks, ringed hooks, ultra-point hooks, Aki twist, etc., but the Mustads will get the job done.

For your first trip forget about the irons. Just fish bait. You want a selection of small sliding sinkers, up to 2 oz. but realistically the smaller ones, and also some smaller rubber core sinkers. Bring only a couple of 4-6 oz. torpedos just in case. Learn your knots and how to tie them fast on a pitching deck. When the bite is on you don't have a lot of time to mess with setting up. Learn to gently cast a small bait, mostly side-arm or even underhand. Most of the baits you will see this year are small and it is a whole new skill set to cast them out to the bite zone.

Good luck, and don't forget to post a report, even if you didn't catch much. Information is gold!

matt86m

Not worthy of a Title
Apr 6, 2010
Fountain Valley, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Tiara Pursuit

Paul Ward

Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Ive caught some of my best catches on a diawa sealine 30 they sell for a little over $100 or spend a little more and go torium.best advice I can give you is intrduce yourself to the deck hands but wait till the boat is underway.then listen to the deckhands they can help catch fish

Reactions: fishstomp and Bubba

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
JMO,for a 2 day trip you dont need expensive 2 speed stuff.They are nice to have but not necessary.With the bait situation we have this year be ready to fish chovies so have a 15-20 lb outfit and also a 25-40 outfit or 2.Cant tell you how many fish we killed on the Dreamer with 145 penn squidders and 500s over the early years before we went to the Diawa SLs.Am fishing Shimanos these days but for the chovie deal I have the SLs and a Penn 140 in my back pocket.Tom

princefredo

May 23, 2010
Lakewood, Ca
Name
alfredo
Boat
Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
When I first got back into fishing after I got out of the Navy I purchased a spinning setup. This was 2008. I had a Shimano Baitrunner 6500 for $129 at Sport Chalet and a Shimano 20-50 rod from Sports Authority for $40. I've caught a 30lb Mahi and 35lb Yellotail on this thing. I have since switched to Avets but let friends and family use this setup when they go.

hawkplayer32

I'd rather be fishing.
Aug 6, 2012
Valencia, CA
Name
Tony Hicks
Boat
Baja Bound
You don't need different rigs for YT and tuna. Just pick up an inexpensive setup like a daiwa sealine 30 or a saltist 30. For a 2 day trip you will probably fish 20-30lb line. As for a rod. Just go to big 5 and grab a daiwa boat rod rated 15-30. I have the one rated 20-40 and have caught bft to 50lbs on it with no issues. Total setup is under $200.

matta57

hack
May 30, 2010
goleta
Name
matt
Boat
none
Bang for the buck, daiwa sealine SHA 40 4.9-1, and Ugly Stik Tiger 20-50. This setup is inexpensive, durable, and fishes 25-30# mono very well (spool with mono). The Daiwa has excellent freespool.

After your trip, you will probably be hooked and want to get many more(and more expensive) setups, jigsticks, 2 speeds with spectra line, but this one will still be relevant and useful.
Take some seasick meds and good luck!

Paul Ward

Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Bang for the buck, daiwa sealine SHA 40 4.9-1, and Ugly Stik Tiger 20-50. This setup is inexpensive, durable, and fishes 25-30# mono very well (spool with mono). The Daiwa has excellent freespool.

After your trip, you will probably be hooked and want to get many more(and more expensive) setups, jigsticks, 2 speeds with spectra line, but this one will still be relevant and useful.
Take some seasick meds and good luck!
I concur I have better results casting my sealines than my trinidads.I cocur again take some bodine an hour before you leave, being sick can ruin your whole day. Good luck and please post a report when you return

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
You can find a used jig master jr. with a black spool and change out the drags. Find a good deal on a 30# rod or buy a ugly stick.

I still do very well with this outfit, old school... Not necessary to fish spectra. In your case it may even hinder your experience...

Last edited:

jbs49

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 2, 2012
Panama
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Daiwa Sealine X40 SHA filled with 65# Spectra would be a good choice. Gives you 6:1 high speed for jig fishing and has good power for bait fish and cost $120.00 new all over town. I have caught many Wahoo, Tuna and yellowtail and never an issues. For the money hard to beat. Have good supply of different leader material 20 to 50# For the rod you would want something in the 30 to 50# range Calstar 700M would be nice but my be a little pricey for your budget. You might look for used. Lots of good used rod for sale on the different sites. Good luck and catch a bunch.

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
A 7' MH ugly stik tiger in the 20-50 lb. class is only $65 and people might sniff a little when they see you with it but that rod has handled a bunch of 50-100 lb. fish very well. It's a favorite down in the gulf coast, but people around here have more expensive tastes. I second the suggestion about finding a lightly used daiwa 30 size reel (sealine, seagate, saltist) and spooling it with 65-80 lb. white colored braid. You can add a short or long topshot of mono or fluoro from #20-40 or even higher to meet your needs. That reel will handle a bunch of fish and if you maintain it well it should last a few years.

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
No one has steered you truly wrong in the thread so all I will try and do is distill things a little bit.

1. A 7' rod rated 20-50 is your best all arounder for West Coast fishing within a few days of SD. It will cast iron well or bait adequately. Calstar 700M is the standard by which all are judged. Ugly Sticks and Sabres have slayed tonnage over the years. Seeker another quality choice. You don't remotely need to break the bank here to catch fish. The more expensive rods simply are lighter and use more expensive components.

2. Get the best star drag reel in "3/0" size that you can afford. You are looking for something that will handle at least 300yards of 30lb mono. This will be a "go to " friend for life as it will cast iron or bait better than a lever drag reel and be more reliable and easier to use. Penn, Daiwa, Shimano and Okuma all make great budget reels (~$125) in graphite frames or cast aluminum (~$200) and even machined masterpieces ($4-500). However a quality graphite framed reel will handle nearly anything in local waters until you know better what your preferences are if money is tight...but do get the best one you can afford (but don't get one too big). It is worth it.

3. Mono vs. Braid: Mono is gonna be old reliable and easier to tie knots and cast (generally speaking). However braid gives you more capacity, greater strength and is easier for your live bait to pull through the water. You can also fish a smaller reel with braid due to the capacity gain. But don't stress, start with mono if braid seems tricky, you can move up to braid when you are ready.

Go down to your local tackle store and ask questions. They most probably have very helpful people that will be just as stoked as us to help.

Then, all you have to do is go damn fishing young man and make us proud! :)

Last edited:

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
Aurora Colorado
Name
Kevin
Boat
None
I'm a working stiff, and I understand budget limitations. Contact Ken, at Kens custom reels. He usually has a line on really good used stuff! And he won't steer you wrong. He is also very knowledgable, and will not sell you stuff you won't need. Very honest, and a great guy.

Reactions: RodFishes

J.AkuHed

Jul 5, 2003
Temecula
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
Your boat!
Go find a Daiwa SLX20SHA ( can be found $100-$120) and a 15-30 rod ($30-$60) from Big 5 or even walmart. Fill it to the brim with 50# braid and a filler spool of 20#, 25# and 30#. Lean some braid to mono connection for 10' top shot and you goo to go!

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
A 15-30lb rod is on the light side for one rod to do it all but the Daiwa is a great reel and an example of a great smaller one if you are comfortable with Braid. If you aren't then a little bigger reel would be better so it will hold enough mono.

Really what we are talking about here is your first "30lb rig" for up to 5 day range that can still fish 20 or 40 well. So I would recommend a touch heavier on the rod for sure and a touch bigger on the reel unless you are ready to fish braid.

You can still get a first rate setup for under $200 and even under $100 if you bargain shop for proven stuff, gently used.

Last edited:

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
Craigslist.

Current (7/6/14) examples:
30lb:
1. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/4547466522.html (swap out the handle with a 24-56; ex: )

2. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/4555233495.html

40-50lb:
3. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/4548161741.html

Should breakdown and reassemble ANY reel you get used. Go here to learn how it's done: www.alantani.com

That or take them to Squidco or Ken's for a quote.

Getting matching rods and adding line will push you up to the $200 mark for TWO combos.

You have almost two months to get what you need--plenty of time.

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Hello fishermen.

So finally. its time. It's time to leave from San Diego and go on a 2 nighter. I am primarily a pier, jetty, and off the coast kind of fisherman. I have for the most part light gear, and the heaviest stuff i have is 15 pound test. I need a new setup. My other friend told me to get a big rod for the tuna and another setup for the yellowtail. Does that seem feasible? I don't have too much money and although I was considering renting something, I know the time will come when I would like to have my own gear for big tuna and even yellow tail. I don't have a reel for yellow tail yet. I'm thinking about this calcutta b for the yellow tail. but have no idea about the big tuna. I am a college student and dont have alot of money. but on the other hand really don't want to rent a rod, when I could use that money towards my own. I'm in a bind. Any suggestions for cheap but reliable gear and suggestions for the line for fail proof having to catch a tuna. I'm leaving in the end of August but need to prepare. PLEEEASE HELP! if you have some time or know some stuff about the big tuna fish. I rarely post on this forum cuz i'm never out on the boat doing it big like some of you lucky chaps out there. If you have any suggestions for gear, and just overall advice for a first time tuna fishing trip. Please. come one come all. thank you so much.!
Tommy,

Send me a PM with your contact info....you dont have to rent anything. I can loan you what you need for your trip....no guess work involved and then you will have a good idea of what you might want to buy after you get back.

Let me know

Reactions: J.AkuHed