needd help to select and change guides to a musky rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by steelfish, May 11, 2011.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I have a Gander Mtn. Pro Select IM8 Graphite Muskie rod 7.6 3-6oz that Im using for inshore fishing with great results paired with a calcutta 400TE, for my needs this rod its enough sensitive and super light, I really love the combo for my local fisheries no need for high end rod here, BUT there is only one thing that I dont like on that rod, the guides on the rod are extremely noisy when used with braid line suffix or PP no matter what brand it's still noisy.
    so, Im planning to change the guides for a better quality ones but I really dont know which ones will offer me a smooth and silence fishing

so far this are my options

1 GNL Gold fuji hardloy SS $10.67
    2 XXNZG ALPS 316 steel & zirconia rings $29.31
    3 CMNLSG SIC Carbide $22.90
    4 BDPBG Model DP areo casting guides TiBlue Zirconia rings $26.13

looking for silence fishing, durability and braid friendly

thanks in advance

2. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    If you want silence fishing then use mono. Spectra makes noises when going through any guide.

3. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Grant Darby
    Boat:
    Which one?
    Just about all good quality ring materials will hold up to today's braid. The industry standard guide ring is Aluminum Oxide, a material that goes by many different names such as Hardloy, Hialoy, and about 50 other names for the same material. SIC is rated at about the hardest material on the Vickers Hardness Scale. Zirconium comes in a close second. BUT you won't need that hardness in a ring material, it's nice, sounds expensive, is expensive and if you want to use them you should. But you'll catch just as many fish with the Oxide guides! As for which guides to use, my vote would be the Alps MXN's with the Hard Aluminum Oxide ring only because I use them and like them and they work! And....I can afford them.

4. stonefly

stonefly Member

Name:
    randy welsh
    Boat:
    16' mirrocraft
    steelfish , i think you gave up too soon on trying different braids. try daiwa "saltiga" boat braid, its slick and supple. its also metered but i think their "samurai" braid is the same line but yellow.
    very clever, trying to think why you would prefer a musky rod in san felipe. would you be casting white feathers off the harbour mouth with too much rock behind you for a longer rod?

5. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    really really old post, but I feel like I still need to answer this post, maybe this guys is still around.

I went for a musky rod because it was on special price and I though it could have enough power and backbone to turn the heads of the local fisheries, super light and nice lure weight so, no problems with 4-6oz jigs or metals.
    this rod is not intended to be used on the harbor mouth, for that purpose I have some short surf fishing casting rods like a steelhead fenwick 8.6ft or a spinning tsunami airwave 9ft, you cant use a proper surf rod 11 or 12ft with all the rocks behind like you said.