Need your help - J Hooks

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by mtracy12, May 23, 2019.

1. mtracy12

mtracy12 Newbie

Name:
    Matt Tracy
    Boat:
    Independence
    I may get crucified for this but would rather take the chance and learn then not post. I have done research and am leaning towards a few different versions of the VMC hooks at this point, however am always amazing at the wealth of knowledge people on this board have to offer.

I have looking for people's insights/opinions around fishing J-Hooks for larger tuna. Particularly the local bluefin and then yellowfin at lupe if that makes a difference.

Would love to hear what your preferences are on brand/style and why as I just not a fan of circle hooks unfortunately.

Appreciate the help!

shellback likes this.
  2. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    When you get into bigger fish like over 75 to 80lbs I think the circle hooks are the way to go. The circle hook will almost always hook in the corner of the mouth and your line is outside of the mouth so you don't get chewed off. If you use a J hook sometimes the hook gets caught down in the mouth or throat and the line is rubbing over the teeth and after 20 or 30 minutes you get chewed off and lose the fish. Even if you fish the J hook like a circle and don't set the hook it may still get caught in the throat. If you feel the teeth on a 100+lb Guadalupe yellowfin you will understand why most people use circle hooks for the bigger fish.
    I usually use the Owner Mutu ringed circle hooks for the bigger tuna. If the fish are running a little small or are line shy I switch to the Gamakatsu Nautilus ringed circle hooks. The important thing is that the opening in the circle hook has to be big enough to go around the jaw of the fish. If the hook is too small it can't get around the jaw and just the tip of the hook will bury in the jaw and eventually the tip will break off and you will lose a nice fish.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  3. Luke

Luke Uses alot of bait!

Name:
    Luke
    Boat:
    none
    If you fish a J hook like a circle (easing into the drag as you lift your rod versus setting the hook) you can achieve the same benefits of getting the hook in the corner of the mouth and the knot away from the teeth. But with that said the circle hook does a better job of doing the same thing. Especially fishing BF which have significant teeth. My recommendation is to re-think circle hooks. I do not use them for YT because it is just too much fun setting the hook on a Yellowtail.

You asked for models/manufacturers......I prefer Owner Gorilla and Trokar J hooks. I prefer Gamakatsu Nautilus Circle hooks for fishing Guadalupe where you need to be extra stealthy. Same hook for BF up to 60# FC then Trokar Circle hooks.

I hope this helps.

ZZZZZ, egarratt and Juanba like this.
  4. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    I use J hooks for fly line in 5/0 6/0 and 7/0 sizes with good success. Funny thing one year I switched to circle hooks , caught plenty but had more chew offs then I ever had. Coincidence , maybe but I've gone back to J hooks with less chew offs. My preference is Mustad hoodlum 5x. Its all what gives you confidence in your gear. That translates into bites ...

freegaff2 likes this.
  5. okie man

okie man Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    kerry way
    Boat:
    18' javalin
    I like mustad hoodlums and VMC tuna tamers.

Workplacesafety likes this.
  6. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Might want to look at the Owner Offshore hooks. They have bigger barbs than a Gorilla hook .

yessokk, shellback and Brad I like this.
  7. jerryl

jerryl Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    N/A
    Another vote for Mustad Hoodlum 5X J hooks. I've only fished the bigger tuna at Guadalupe. During a pick bite, shoulder hooked baits usually have more success. For me, it's easier to shoulder hook with a J hook than circle hooks of the same size. I think the hooked sardine swims better with a lighter gauge J hook than the circle hook.

ReelDealAngler- likes this.
  8. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    When I started doing the 12-14 day trips I leaned towards VMC Tuna Tamers and had fair success but I noticed I was pulling hooks for no good reason. Calm weather, fish had settle down into up and down battle, and was applying steady pressure and the hook would just pop out. On one trip I pulled 2 hooks in a row on decent size tuna and got a good dose of constructive criticism from the Capt and deckhands. Message received loud and clear. Switched to circle hooks and landing percentage went WAY up. Lost a few fish but none to pulled hooks. My inexperience with big fish could have something to do with it but I am certain circle hooks made a difference. I like the Eagle Claw 2004 and Owner super mutus but started to try the Mustad sea demons. If I had to choose one it would probably be the sea demons but I found EC 2004s on sale for huge discounts so it will be a while before I exhaust my supply of super mutus and 2004s. If you still prefer J hooks I would try Owners offshores because of the offset. I still bring along my Tuna Tamers and Gorilla hooks but probably won't use them unless fishing is really sharky.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    mtracy12 likes this.
  9. ReelDealAngler-

ReelDealAngler- Born To Fish

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    Reel Estate
    I use J hooks almost exclusively... as Jerry mentioned above they are SO MUCH easier to pin on a bait especially in the shoulder area where the bait is thicker. I like the fact that I can pin a J hook on faster while using less pressure on the bait (via gentler hold) and then get it into the water ASAP.

Have had excellent results with the new Trokar TK8R (ringed) J hooks... they are mega sharp (have found nothing sharper out of the package), they are VERY strong and they have a wider gap between hook point and shank than most all other J style live bait hooks. They are super easy to pin on a bait and IMO the sharper point causes less trauma to the bait as it glides right through scales and meat (with better penetration). Fairly thin diameter wire that's at least 4X strong. They are not CHEAP... one of the more expensive hooks, but they can be used over again and washed off at the end of the trip. I caught four 75lb to 100lb+ YFT at the Lupe last year on just one 4/0 sized Trokar TK8R hook (have to make sure the deckhands don't damage the hook when removing it - they don't do it intentionally, but it happens, especially so in a hot bite where they are moving fast getting fish unhooked and tagging them and clearing the deck).

For cow sized tuna I like the VMC Dynamic J bait hook as it is sharp (conical point) and 5X+ strong. I've got a bunch of the originals that were made of Vanadium steel which is lighter and stronger than stainless steel. The newer version VMC Dynamic hook (not made in France) is not made of Vanadium steel, but still the same unique strong design and I believe they are 4X strong.

G

ZZZZZ, mtracy12, DesotoBound and 2 others like this.
  10. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    I like Tuna Tamers VMC 7262BN for 100# and down. For the larger tuna I like VMC Dynamic 7360 BN. J hooks with sardines are best fished like a circle, but the reel should be put in gear at first indication the tuna has picked up your bait. Big fish do not nibble small bait.

11. shellback

shellback Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    shellback
    Boat:
    other peoples
    VMC 7360
    owner offshore

DesotoBound likes this.
  12. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    Is this a fairly new hook? I've seen the 4X but not this one.

Do you think it can be used as a Assist Hook? I've been asking what other guys use to make their assist hooks and was just wondering. One drawback might be they will rust out more quickly than a nickel plated hook. But then again a have read that they are Black Nickel plated.

13. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Not a new hook. I do not see them a lot in online stores. I bought a bunch from Roger at Sav on when he was there. Last year I couldn’t find them and he ordered some from mustad directly.

Cubeye likes this.
  14. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Got my hands on some VMC Dynamic 7360’s size 3/0. Will be giving them a try if we get on the Bluefin on this 8 day departing tomorrow morning. Fished them at Guadalupe October 2017 with good success.

mtracy12, Bill W and eric harner like this.
  15. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    old school Eagle Claw L118mag on anything up to 100 lbs.
    Cheap, sharp, effective.
    I've seen a 300lb yft wenched in on a 5/0.
    I've never straightened one, seen one straightened and I don't loose many fish.
    I have many designer hooks and I keep tying on a L118mag.
    Oh and at $10 for a box of 50, just cut it off and re tie.

Cubeye, Fishybuzz and mtracy12 like this.
  16. Maing

Maing Maing

Name:
    Maing
    Boat:
    Me yak fer now
    Tuna fishin??? Circle hooks all the way!! Unless the bite is ultra finicky then a J hook. I have used the same action on the J hook as I do on the circle hook. Just put the reel in gear/ strike and corner of the mouth it is. I fish exclusively circle hooks for tuna though and if done right by just putting the reel in gear/ strike it finds its way to the mandible or corner of the mouth every time. I would experiment with both if you are unsure. I’ve used circles on wide open bass bites and train urself to not swing. They work!! Like I said if done right.

$norkle likes this.
  17. Luke

Luke Uses alot of bait!

Name:
    Luke
    Boat:
    none
    If someone is struggling to hook baits using a circle hook make this easy adjustment to how you hold the hook before you try to hook the bait. Instead of holding the shaft like on a J hook move your finger and thumb all the way around the circle to almost at the barb. Holding it this way makes it much easier to hook the bait either on the shoulder, belly or through the nose. Give it a try, I think you find it is much easier, I think as easy as a J hook.

Smiler1958, ZZZZZ, Haly0 and 3 others like this.
  18. Cubeye

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    118 Mag hooks used to be sold everywhere, but they're hard to find these days. Now I have to settle for the 118MGF. Thinner wire, but they work. I still have a bunch of the old stock, but I prefer to use the Owner "designer" hooks.

19. Maing

Maing Maing

Name:
    Maing
    Boat:
    Me yak fer now
    I really like the mutu’s and the super mutu’s... although if I want a big circle for chunk fishin big yft I will go with the big mustad circle hooks..

20. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    I like likes advice/he fishes the loop a lot and is out on the water a lot. so he is giving us real on the water first had experience form what has worked and not worked for him. he is a very hot stick