Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Before we go and do major updates / graphic changes, etc I need some feedback.
    Feel free to DM/PM/Email me direct if you don't want to put it in public. [email protected]

Politics policy? Back to no politics? My problem with them is they divide and that's not what fishing or hunting is about. But every other platform allows it worse than we do. Do I keep the traffic? Make a new forum just for politics that doesn't show up in new posts unless you are subscribed to it?

Posting - How can we make it easier?

What would entice a new member to post? Contests?

Do you guys think you would enjoy a points program? Posting points, viral points, etc. Get enough points for free BD hats or shirts.

Do you enjoy getting "likes" on your posts?

We will have a mobile app coming out later this year. That's a whole other discussion but for the time being what can be fixed or changed with the current mobile layout?

Are you able to find the sections and posts you are looking for? Do we need to figure out a better way to list the forum sections?

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Politics policy? Back to no politics? My problem with them is they divide and that's not what fishing or hunting is about. But every other platform allows it worse than we do. Do I keep the traffic? Make a new forum just for politics that doesn't show up in new posts unless you are subscribed to it?

Political forums should be a subscription forum. If you want in, your in.

Do you guys think you would enjoy a points program? Posting points, viral points, etc. Get enough points for free BD hats or shirts.

I think you see the one's that deserve recognition and swag. One the best reporters would be someone like Corey(Longboard) .

Do you enjoy getting "likes" on your posts?
    It allows the silent guys to send a thanks without posting, I like them.

Are you able to find the sections and posts you are looking for? Do we need to figure out a better way to list the forum sections?

I'm very happy with the last update. Fast, stable and I don't mind the ads. The ads that shift the page well... gotta pay the bills

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Politics will and do get old when repetitive.
    I won't visit some posts as they get tiring. But I will check back at times and enjoy the comedy from all.
    Keep them as you see how much are viewed.
    BD is still the best Site for all to like.
    I stumbled upon for fishing but have found out it is so much more.
    I am pretty sure I would be able to share a rail with someone with different views as long as those views and politics don't fuck with me catching fish or saw me off!!
    Shit fish in a dress for all I care.
    :-)

Upvote 0

kbray001

Aug 18, 2009
    South OC
    Name
    Kirk
    Boat
    Regal 24
    The politics don’t bother me as long as it’s just a few running threads. Let those that want to fight get it out. I normally don’t read them but it’s fun from time to time to read the memes.

I think a points program could be a really good idea. Give people an incentive to post more content and reports.

Personally I like the likes. I don’t care about getting them but I like to be able to show support to people for their posts when I don’t feel like writing a comment.

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Michael Mitchell
    Boat
    20 Bertram
    I would like to be able to edit/change titles on other forums beside the classifieds. I don't really need to be notified that someone liked or disliked my post. Finally I wish that vintage stuff had not been pulled from the regular classified.

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
    Jun 20, 2015
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Brad I
    Boat
    Nope
    I absolutely endorse "no politics". Its not just overly political posts, its also snarky comments added for no reason to a thread and topic that have nothing to do with politics. This is a real case of "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem". The divicevness is clear and is dividing us as fishermen, people and Americans. Let's go back to what unites us, not what divides us.

I wish I were as optimistic as Bill W, but I don't see it ending unless its enforced.

This sounds like a good compromise for people who don't get enough politics on Facebook, Reddit, etc.: Make a new forum just for politics that doesn't show up in new posts unless you are subscribed to it?

1612531132029.png

Upvote 0

Kin

o_O
    Oct 10, 2010
    San Gabriel
    Name
    Kin
    Boat
    ODC 420
    Don't do away with them, they are very entertaining. Not like I take the posts seriously, but the memes brighten up my day...there has to be a let off valve for some folks. Let those of us who want to read about it, read about it and don't have it pop up in the "new postings" list.

And i also enjoy select contribution posts from folks like mr. krabs...I know many of us do not appreciate all that they have contributed to those threads, but you folks are heroes.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    I would leave BloodyDecks if it adopted a no politics policy... I enjoy speaking my mind... and even enjoy hearing how I am wrong... without knowing what others think how can you learn and grow? Maybe your ideas are effed up?

I get to know people on here, met many throughout the years... taken many out fishing... on my boat is the wrong place for me to find out we disagree about everything!
    I have a very short list of people I invite on my 35. I have taken chances over the years and have been left disapointed.
    For instance a post recently was asking for a ride to go diving and he said he was all about wearing a mask... my Bertram is big but in no world am I inviting someone who thinks a mask eliminates risk on such a small boat.
    If a person doesn't like something... they don't have to read it. If speech were limited you get an echo chamber...
    In China they are awarded points for saying and doing certain things... do something wrong and lose your points... a person with low points cannot do many things... high point and they get to be "free" citizens. So you never get to hear the truth... you get to hear what will be rewarded.
    Don't believe me? Look it up.
    Not saying your points system is like that but you bring up politics and points and likes in one post.
    If you want to have contests do it... people universally like them I think. I know I like a good contest even for bragging rights.

Likes are just easier than reading i agree over and over.

I really miss the old days of BloodyDecks... it was much more of a family of assholes!

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    I liked the page where you could see all the members on BD. It had a list of the most posts, most content and most likes. You could find folks real quick if you wanted to PM someone.

Also like the idea of swag. Keep the rule of only one thread per week.

Keep the politics where it is. Look or don't look, your option. Those fuckers are a train wreck, but at least they are in the same hole together.

I don't like the idea of flagging an Op for his comments. BD members police themselves just fine. Some of the best threads on here is when someone gets out of line.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    Political stuff..... I’ve posted a few times I believe on it, and to be honest, I completely stopped coming to BD because it was in every thread. People need a vent and like what was said earlier, it’s kinda nice to see who someone is before you wind up disappointed on your boat with them. A forum might just be the right place for it. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    My Top 3
    • Separate Politics
    • Add a non-mandatory/sample template in classifieds forum with placeholders for
      • Description
      • Price and firm or OBO
      • Face to face only or willing to ship and include payment method
    • Add a user flag option for inappropriate posts as defined by a top level BD Culture description
      • Flagged posts get sent to moderators; moderators don't have to search all forum content and this option gives users a method of feedback
      • Bring back the dislike option

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    All political talk should be in the form of a joke or meme!Makes it harder to argue and you get a laugh out of it.
    Honestly my thread is one of the biggest but it did not start being political,it was started at the beggining of the lockdown to create a place to put memes that were being put in fishing threads.By eliminating those threads it will just end up in regular threads which will end up getting people banned etc.This is a phenomena of the times we are living in and its not even close to being over.
    Who knew this shitstorm would happen?
    I am good with whatever you guys decide is best for the site but for every action there is a reaction,maybe give krabs the keys to a secret forum and he can distract us?

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    WTF? This is the only place i get any politics, what would i do?

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    No politics. But if you must, at the very least please don't let it show up anywhere unless subscribed.

Posting is easy enough. I think new members post when they need something and are looking for advice.

I vote NO for contests. Making forums competitive would be like your dentist trying to maximize his paycheck. Wouldn't wanna be in that seat.

BD stuff giveaways should just be randomized, not points based.

"Likes" is an good and easy way to provide feedback. However, there should also be a "DON'T-Like" button!

Upvote 0

DonnieD

Shit...where's the beer
  • May 27, 2015
    SD
    Name
    Donnie D
    Boat
    FINBOMB
    The like button is good! Thats one of my main factors on if I trust someone to buy or even sell to...500 messages and 1 like is a just a blow hard I dont communicate with and would probably never buy anything from on classies....the "dont like button" is negative...lets keep everything positive...

Dont care about politics much but also just dont click on those threads. I think they have a time and place on here though because of changing fish regs...which is politics at times!!

A prize a week would be the best fish report each week...voted on by the number of likes but must have a picture of the date in the post that must be within 2 weeks of the post

Reactions: Mark49 and RodRage
    Upvote 0