Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
On my last venture to the lake I had to change a tire on the way out and another the way back in, seperation on both tires. Luckily I caught it when they started riding rough. 1 tire was 2 years old and had a bulge/split/cracking in the tread, spot from sitting in the driveway. The other was a hand-me-down Marathon spare of unknown age, it "looked" OK, but probably was a ticking time bomb.

BTW, I drive 65MPH or less while towing this boat (legal in NV) and the loaded boat/trailer scaled at 2900-3000#, it's at the limit of the tires 185/80R13 Marathons, 1480# each. I'm going to jump up to 14's, 1700+# each. Questions...

How are Titan radial tires, good, bad, ugly?

Duro tires any good?

Marathon radial tires, anyone have separation problems with them?

What are you guys running on your boat trailers, radials or bias plys?

Do you chock the trailer axle and keep the tires off the ground while the boat is parked, seems like it's an invitation to thieves, but probably easier on the tires.

It seems I go through the tire thing every 2 years, probably a combination of towing at 65, in high temps, and at the tires limit. I want to get some info from other boat owners so I make the right decision on tires this time.

Thanks,
Dan

1:11

WMDcustoms
Jul 28, 2005
Name
Boat
Dan, I need tires for my trailer too. Being from SoCal, it didnt take me long to figure out that tires dont last out here in this heat. Wiper blades even worse as you know, gotta change them twice a season because they are cracked when you go to use them.

That being said, id go budget. I just bought tires for my truck at Walmart, forgot the brand (model is LIBERATOR) $89/tire for a bigger tires than you need. I would see what walmart can do on something cheap, you will replace them in 2 years anyways.
Let me know if you find some better deal. In my search i compared prices at Big-O, Discount Tire Center, Pep Boys, and Walmart. They all have their smoke and mirrors pricing they quote you, but Walmart was the best deal said and done..

WIDEOPENBITE

A SALT WEAPON
Feb 4, 2005
Gulf Breeze, FLA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Yours
I know you have a Bass Pro in LV now. They sell boat trailer tire/wheel combos mounted and balanced right off the shelf. Cash and carry - no price tricks. This might make sense in light of you changing sizes.

bufo1313

Aug 18, 2007
Reno
Name
Doc
Boat
16 ft Smokercraft
Other fishing websites have had a lot of discusssion about trailer tires because of similar situations noted here (short life and frequent breakdowns). For most, they like the marathons, with a caveat. Some of the recent marathons have been made in China and they have not been holding up. Those made in the USA or Canada are still holding up well. Check the recent discussions on trailer tires at walleye central as an example.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
I had Marathons on my toy box, in 2002, that were new, the they separated and blew out, there was a recall on a certain size .( which was what I had, they replaced all 5 at no charge. the way you could tell is that they a Trade mark circle by the name "marathon" on the sied wall .. If they DID NOT have the Trade mark circle they were bad.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Jason, Check out Sams Club, they were the cheapest the last time I got tires. I never thought of Walmart, have to see what they carry. I've been burned at BigO and Discount the last few times, not going back unless I have to...

I'm looking at buying tire/wheel combos, but wholly crap, BPS (BoatersWorld and West Marine also) wants $150 each for radials! Didn't check them out in the store as I got sticker shock on line. I'm looking at Cabelas since they have Titan's for $109 and Marathon for $125, with shipping it's still cheaper than buying the combo local.

Thanks for the heads-up about the Marathons being made in China. Hearing about that might steer me away from the high dollar Marathons.

shinerunner

BARKING MOONBAT
Apr 25, 2003
loafers glory
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none
I bought the radial carlyles mounted and balanced from discount tire, the price was best I could find
I had them for over 3 years no cracking etc. The stock tires started cracking seemingly right away.,

bufo1313

Aug 18, 2007
Reno
Name
Doc
Boat
16 ft Smokercraft
Some of the marathons were made in China. I am not sure they are any more because of the problem. The place of manufacture is right on the side of each marathon. I have not checked whether our new Cabelas in Reno has trailer tires in stock.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Cabela's opened in Reno? Cool, another place for me to check out while at the in-laws.

I've looked at the tires in BPS at a passing glance, doubt they have enough to outfit my trailer, 2 + spare. It looked like they only had 1 of each size in stock, probably a convince thing for customers with a bum tire in the parking lot,,, I guess.

Thanks for the heads-up on the country of origin stamp in the sidewall, forgot it was on there. Mine came from New Zeland, pretty odd place for tires to be coming from.