Whiskey Line

Respect the craft.
Jul 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Daniel
Boat
Game On
I have a bunch of bait rods that I'm running Daiwa SeaLions On. Honestly, they are trash as the drags go after a decent fish.

I used to run Penn, but want to get a little more high performance reel. Overall, it doesn't need to be the fanciest. I want to beat the hell out of it, not have to worry about it, and get it serviced every few years as they are the rods everyone borrows on board. Targeting 10-30lb fish for this.

Looking at penn fathoms or better. I'd rather not spend 500 on it either even though I sort of want to get shimonos.

Can you please give me what you have why you like it, and why I should buy it. If I need to oil it every time I go out or the grease gets stuck in the bottom of the the real please no.

Also, need to get something for 50-80lb BFT/Yellowfin that have been around recently. Same as above except price isn't as much of a concern. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

tunanorth

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
You don't specify what line system you will use on the small [10-30 lb] fish will be.
Assume it will be 25 pound topshots or lighter; if so the Fathom star drag series FTHII12SD is more than large enough, though if you want a bit more capacity, the slightly wider FTHII15SD gives that.
No reason to get a 2-speed lever drag for the above, and star drags can take additional abuse if these will be getting it.
For your medium [50-80 lb.] fish reels, it would also help to know the line system, but in general, the Fathom FTH25NLD2 or FTH30LD2 are the way to go for that grade of fish.
If your budget can handle a little more for the latter reel, the Torque TRQ25NLD2 or TRQ30LD2 are amazing fishing tools, and can be had in gold or silver, depending on how you want your bling to go.
If you are a bit daring with your line capacity, the FTH15XNLD2 or TRQ15XNLD2 can certainly handle fish in the size range you mention, and the "extra narrow" configuration makes them very comfortable in your hand.

TRQ15XNLD2

RESIZED Steve tuna 3.JPG

Reactions: onehottip

MRC70

Oct 31, 2016
San Marcos, CA
Name
MRC
Boat
not yet
I want to beat the hell out of it, not have to worry about it, and get it serviced every few years as they are the rods everyone borrows on board.
You just perfectly described a Daiwa Sealine. Upgrade the drag washers and they last forever. Saltists and Fathoms are great too.

Reactions: Whiskey Line

Tugboat64

150lb tuna club
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Penns should be one of the reels too on you list. They make great, star drag likr 2 speed reels that you can cast a mile, and the price range on the fathom is very doable, I like to call them the top end of middle grade of reel

Whiskey Line

Respect the craft.
Jul 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Daniel
Boat
Game On
@MRC70 what do I upgrade them too. I really don't care about the reels much as they just need to get the job done, but when my bait swims out, I want to it not have the reel spool stick? If I can just upgrade the drag washers and not have them be such pieces I'll go that route since I already have 2 of them.

@tunanorth sorry for the lack of specificity, but I think you nailed it. Penn Fathoms are looking solid unless I can upgrade the drag washers on the fathoms since they are the town bicycles on the boat. I'll consider getting a fathom or torque narrow for me. For the mid range stuff, perfect, and same story as above. Thank you again.

@Tugboat64 yeah looking at those for sure. Thank you.

Gflann

Sep 9, 2020
San Diego
Name
Greg
Boat
Cobra Fish n Dive
I just upgraded two SL30SH’s. Coming from an amateur at reel servicing, it was easy!
Buy Carbontex drags.

Use Cal’s Drag grease to lightly grease the washers.

Here’s they youtube video I used.

Ignore where this guy says to not grease the drag washers. Other then that its a decent video. The only pain is if the anti reverse dog leg pops off. But you can google a schematic to put it back on properly.Just make sure its working properly before putting it back on. It should chatter as you spin the drive.

Dozer217

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
If they are the town bicycles, i'd go with the fathom, many boats in the SD fleet use those as their loaners and the stand up well.

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
You won’t find better drags than penn stock! The diawa sealines are ok reels but really are poor performers. Hands down the penn 12 or 15 is such a huge upgrade.

Amadeus

Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
Several weeks ago someone asked on alantani.com, and so I went and tested my Daiwa Sealine 400H that has a Cal's-greased 5-stack carbontex + 1 delrin undergear upgrade. Tighten as far as it will go by hand and did straight pulls with a spring scale...hit 36lbs consistently. So for a 60-80 reel at 20-27lbs drag, respectively, there's plenty of headroom.

The handle was also replaced with a T-bar grip. With the guides and rod imparting 1-2 lbs of drag under load, the star drag would be set to 25lbs max from top-of-spool if the 400H is to be fished as an 80 lb setup. Above that, the risk of shredding the brass main gear goes up significantly.

YMMV.
400H.jpeg

Last edited:

Rivergil

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 20, 2011
Mammoth, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever I can afford
At $350 from Charkbait right now, you can't beat the makaira 10sea. 5 year warranty, solid performance at a $150 discount? Yes, please!
They gone!

Last edited: