walkerman

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 7, 2008
Ventura
Name
Steve
Boat
n/a
i have been using a Penn International 30s II for dropper loop fishing. It has become too heavy for me to comfortably handle.
Anyone recommend a good reel for 80-100 lb topshots? I am open to any price range. Prefer two speed and one that casts well, so I could as 80 lb bait stick also. Obviously, weight matters. Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
You might want to look at an Avet HXW raptor 2-speed. Only 32 ounces (considerably lighter than your Penn), monster drag settings, and made in the USA. Would be great for fishing 80 lb...Avet rates this reel for 50-100 lb line, but 100 lb might be a little too heavy for this reel. I use mine for fly-lining 80 lb test, and really like it...never had any problems. My 2 cents.

DMcD

Reactions: lowprofile
Upvote 0

migelito

May 12, 2010
So Cal.
Name
Mike
Boat
Indy
The Mak 16 and HXW Raptor are both good choices. The Mak 20 sea is also great choice, but that still might be heavy for you. If you felt the penn 30 getting heavy. If you go with the Avet. Think about the HX-raptor instead of the HXW-raptor. It holds plenty of line and drag for dropper loop fishing.

Reactions: hilltop
Upvote 0

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
you cannot fish 100# with it IMO....maybe I should say I wouldn't recommend it.

No, you're right. Well, I think it would handle 100 nicely. It has the drag for it and it's very solid. But I always saw it as an 80lb reel. Or a really badass 60.

If you want to fish 100, I can't beat a Makaira 20 SEa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Penn 2-speed Fathom FTH60LD2 at only 27 ounces and $299 retail [weight of current Penn 30-2 is 58 ounces, and 16VSX is 41 ounces]
Mine are set up with 400 yards of 100-pound braid and a 100-yard topshot of 80-pound mono [will hold over 700 yards of straight 100-pound braid], so they pull double-duty for non-cow trolling and dropper looping.
Casts almost as well as its more popular [but narrower] cousin, the FTH40NLD2.
Have worked great for almost 2 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Steve, if you want a lightweight reel for dropperloop, the Tiburon SST20 or 16 are the lightest heavy duty 2-speed 4/0 sized reels at 36 or 35 oz. respectively. Nice handle to gear ratio to spool diameter (easy to turn). You can probably find one used in good condition with spectra for $350-ish.

If you want new, it would be difficult to beat a Makaira 16 (40 oz.) for your application. The Penn 16VSX (40 oz.) is another good option. A Penn 30S is about 57 oz., so almost any heavy duty 2-speed will be lighter. The Makaira 16II SEa has the best free spool.

If you buy one of the lighter duty small reels (HX, Talica, etc.), make sure to check how easy they are to turn the handle under full drag and load.

Good luck!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
i have been using a Penn International 30s II for dropper loop fishing. It has become too heavy for me to comfortably handle.
Anyone recommend a good reel for 80-100 lb topshots? I am open to any price range. Prefer two speed and one that casts well, so I could as 80 lb bait stick also. Obviously, weight matters. Thanks for any advice.
My Penn 16VSX w 80 on it is my go to dropper loop reel. Work just fine. Much lighter than your 30.

Upvote 0

cow man

Tuna addict
  • Aug 29, 2012
    Glide Or. 97443
    Name
    Jake Waardenburg
    Boat
    N/A
    You might want to look at an Avet HXW raptor 2-speed. Only 32 ounces (considerably lighter than your Penn), monster drag settings, and made in the USA. Would be great for fishing 80 lb...Avet rates this reel for 50-100 lb line, but 100 lb might be a little too heavy for this reel. I use mine for fly-lining 80 lb test, and really like it...never had any problems. My 2 cents.

DMcD
    X's 2 I fish 100lb on mine all the time. Great for long days at the rail.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    I would get a Penn 16VSX or a Mak 16SEa or a used Tib SST 16... going to cost you a few more bucks upfront but all of these reels mentioned can handle the larger grade YFT and BFT as well as the dropper loop drill so they become more of a dual purpose reel... and with the larger grade BFT taken the last few years and the Lupe now open for those 100lb to 150lb YFT the difference in price between say a Penn Fathom 60 and the reels mentioned above is not all that much, and with the cost of admission being as high as it is why skimp on your gear to save a couple hundred bucks when it cost you a grand or two or more depending on length of trip to go LR fishing... go with the more dependable higher quality gear (higher re-sale on the back end with the higher quality gear if you decide to part with it, mainly because it is known (proven) to be more durable and just wears better over time if you take proper care of it).

My 3 cents.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    The Talica reels are light in weight and have excellent free spool for sure but they have had their issues with frame strength (tweaking) in the larger sizes, and I believe their gearing is higher ratios and not as beefy as some of the other reels mentioned, having a beefy pinion and main gear with a low gear ratio in the low gear mode is very important when dropper loop fishing where you are fishing tight line with heavier weight in deeper water, and especially when considering the task at hand: trying to muscle and winch that big yellow or grouper out and away from the structure that will break you off!

G

Last edited:
    Reactions: Otis2527
    Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    get both then you have it covered

I have enough gear to lug on a boat now...I am like the GOP now...repeal and replace. I don't want more gear. I just want to replace what I have with something easier to use. I doubt I need more stuff.

Upvote 0

walkerman

May 7, 2008
    Ventura
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    n/a
    The Talica reels are light in weight and have excellent free spool for sure but they have had their issues with frame strength (tweaking) in the larger sizes, and I believe their gearing is higher ratios and not as beefy as some of the other reels mentioned, having a beefy pinion and main gear with a low gear ratio in the low gear mode is very important when dropper loop fishing where you are fishing tight line with heavier weight in deeper water, and especially when considering the task at hand: trying to muscle and winch that big yellow or grouper out and away from the structure that will break you off!

G
    So, what would you recommend?

Upvote 0

Relacson

@relacson22
    Feb 22, 2006
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Marc
    Boat
    yours
    HX/HXW Raptor for me. I've used mine for dropper loop and for YFT up to 130#.
    80-100# line. Works fantastic.

Upvote 0