Need something to cry about?

Discussion in 'Nonsense Anything Boards' started by Kurt, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    Ample supply is seen waylaid by profit-taking

By Dean Calbreath

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 7, 2005

Gasoline prices in San Diego County broke records last week, and further price increases can be expected as gas stations switch to pricier summer blends of fuel.

The average price of a gallon of unleaded regular gasoline in San Diego County yesterday was $2.50, according to the Automobile Club of Southern California, or $2.52, according to the Utility Consumers' Action Network, or UCAN, a local consumers group. The two groups use different sets of statistics to reach their numbers.

The prices exceeded the record set last October – estimated at $2.46 by the Auto Club and $2.51 by UCAN – when worldwide oil prices surged because of terrorism jitters, fears of supply interruptions in Russia and Nigeria and rising demand from China and India.

When adjusted for inflation, however, the current prices still do not match those set during the oil shortages of the 1970s and 1980s, which saw long lines at the gas pump and a spate of rationing.

Analysts say that prices are likely to climb higher by summer.

"I don't know if there's any end in sight," said Carol Thorp, spokeswoman at the Auto Club. "There's ample supply to meet demand, but there is also a huge amount of speculation on the oil markets and there is a lot of profit-taking among the oil companies."

Michael Shames, executive director of UCAN, projected that prices could top $2.70 a gallon this summer.

"We could be in for a prolonged hemorrhaging of dollars, not only out of consumers' pockets but away from the state," he said. "We have to address the question of what we are going to do about all the cash being siphoned out of the economy that's never going to come back to the state."

In a letter yesterday, Shames asked Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to take several steps to stabilize prices, such as declaring a state of emergency in order to expedite energy-related legislation and launching an investigation into whether there has been excessive profit-taking.

"The bulk of the price increases are due to greed, a lack of competition, and enormous profit-taking activities at the refinery level," Shames wrote. "California refineries are feasting at the expense of consumers. Oil prices are high, but the increased cost of gasoline is largely due to gouging at the refinery and retail levels."

However, Joe Sparano, who heads the Western States Petroleum Association, said the main reason for the price spike has been the recent worldwide increase in the price of crude oil, fueled by speculative investors.

"People get overwhelmed when they see a company like Exxon Mobil make $23 billion, but most of that money gets plowed right back into the company for investments in refineries and improvements," he said.

Schwarzenegger spokesman Darrell Ng said the governor feels the best way of coping with the gasoline increases is conservation and shifting to alternative fuels.

Ng noted that as gasoline prices surged last year, Schwarzenegger signed a bill encouraging drivers to shift to hybrid vehicles that require less gasoline by allowing them to drive in car-pool lanes.

State Sen. Christine Kehoe, D-San Diego, is also pushing for more gasoline conservation.

A bill that Kehoe authored, which yesterday made it out of the Energy, Utilities and Communications Committee, set a statewide goal for reducing petroleum demand, largely by requiring that state agencies use alternative fuels in vehicles and by working with federal authorities to cut gasoline consumption by public and private automotive fleets.

The bill, which must be reviewed by the environmental quality and appropriations committee, could make it to the senate floor within a month.

"This isn't about denying people about the flexibility of auto travel," she said. "Consumers are increasingly conscious of the fact that petroleum is a finite resource, that we overuse gasoline and that we need to reduce our consumption."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Mikey

Mikey -.-. --.-

Name:
    Mikey
    Boat:
    NONE :)
    I paid 2.599 for regular yesterday :(

3. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    I am loading up the gas cans tonight. I ain't payin no 3 bucks unless I have to. Wish I had the fuel trailer here with me but it's back on the farm in CO. That thing would hold enough fuel to hold me over until next year :D

4. Az.monkey

Az.monkey Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    Which one ?

FU hillbilly ! :D

5. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    :ASS:
    Don't be a hater mang LOL

6. Az.monkey

Az.monkey Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    Which one ?
    no hatin here mang , lets go pick that sumbitch up rite now :cool:

7. BabyGiant

BabyGiant 6nm from Dana Point

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
    Fucking politics.......My favorite Option to Alternative Fuels, not only solves the car/boat/airplane/Jetplane fuel problem but it also contributes to the environment by producing more oxygen by Square Acre than the the same amount of land in the rain forest, burns cleaner, is infinite, easier to produce, and by-products are 100% usable and recyclable by-products include(rope-wood-fabric-clothes-Plastics-etc) = Hemp fuel

find out for yourself just type in "hemp fuel" in your search engine this should get you started-
    http://www.artistictreasure.com/learnmorecleanair.html

8. FishWiz

FishWiz Member

Name:
    GAB
    Boat:
    26' Blackman, The Reel One (SOLD)
    Why is there a MicroSkills advertisement in the middle of the first post? Got cut and pasted in with the article?

9. Kurt

Kurt Mistadobalina

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    %%%%%
    There! The bastard was imbedded purty good.

10. blowboater

blowboater Fishing with Papa

Name:
    Joel
    Boat:
    35' cheoy lee - Sold
    I like the idea that your exhaust would smell like 'hemp'. . .

Sorry but the cotton industry (strong, rich political contingent in the south) doesn't like hemp. Ummm, I'd bet neither do the oil producing states (or people who otherwise make lots of $$ from the petroleum industry).

I think biodiesel is pretty expensive to make. Of course as the price of petroleum increases it makes it more attractive. I'd like to see a real breakdown of the costs associated with biodiesel production. However, increasing the scale of production might lower the cost to a point where it is feasible.

I checked into buying biodiesel. There's a place either in northern CA or OR where you can buy it. I was considering buying some for my boat. But, I use so little fuel in a year it didn't make sense for me to buy a 55 gal drum (minimum purchase).

:beerbang:

11. BabyGiant

BabyGiant 6nm from Dana Point

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
    ...before they fuck you-

It's sad but true-the politics involved- the big bucks--

Wake Up People!

We're all slaves....

at the pump.

12. Fishslayer

Fishslayer Tinfoil Hat

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    MV Heywood Jabloughme
    "People get overwhelmed when they see a company like Exxon Mobil make $23 billion, but most of that money gets plowed right back into the company for investments in refineries and improvements," he said.

I thought they hadn't built a new refinery in Kalifornia since seventy-something?

Lying, gouging rat bastards.

On the other hand, I don't know if I like the government setting "maximum profit," whatever that is. I'd rather see them make it easier for competitors to get in the game.

Fishslayer

13. Shell down the street from me (Denver and Clmt Dr.) $2.97 a gallon for 87. Absoloute bullshit....

14. Surfdoc

Surfdoc The finger in the Dyke!

Name:
    Stan
    Boat:
    Mx Panga, MOJAC
    Gas in Mexico is cheaper then California... Goverment regulated prices.

These fuckers are gonna keep bleeding us til 2.50 looks real nice... then it'll be
    Damn remember when it was 2.75..... Next we'll be crying for 3$....

Something needs to be done..... and don't look to washington for help...