mpwvp

May 26, 2009
Honolulu,HI
Name
Masho !!
Boat
18'Larson CC Lani Wai
Howzit Tightliners,

I'm pretty new to offshore fishing and I bought a 18' Larson CC about a year ago. I wanted to buy a boat that was not to expensive but had enough creature comforts
to use for family cruz's to Waikiki and a little some mild offshore fishing. So far it has suited its purpose and now I am thinking of stepping up to a larger boat so I can feel a more safe going a longer distance like to the Banks or Molokai. I really like the CC boats that are available out there. However I am a little concerned about swamping etc. I was thinking about buying a
Glacier Bay,Edgewater,Boston Whaler,Mako, all in the
24'-27' length.

So here is my question.

Is it safe to cross the Kaiwi channel in a CC boat? do I have a better chance of getting swamped in a boat that is that open? Have any of you been swamped before in a
CC boat? I would love to hear your story if you did.

The reason why I like CC boats is because of the ablity to take my family and friends out for mild cruz's and having the open bow for additional seating, however I am more concerned with safty then comfort.

I really appreciate all your wisdom,and opinions.

Mahalo's and tight lines everyone.

Aloha,

Marshall

waimalu

May 12, 2009
Kailua, Hawaii USA
Name
Waimalu
Boat
33' Blackfin Flybridge
Here's my 2 cents, all the boats you mention are solid CC boats and if driven safely in reasonable conditions should be good for the channel run. Folks take 17' whaler montauks across in crazy conditions all the time. A CC of equal size will be cheaper than a cab boat and also much wetter when conditions get snotty out in the channel. I'd say sea trial as many boats as you can - jump on friend's boats before you make a decision. There are a few GB owners on this forum who might be willing to share a ride.

molokaipake

May 8, 2008
Kaunakakai, Molokai, USA
Name
capt clay
Boat
24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
One of the main things to consider about swamping is get a boat that is self bailing and has a good reputation for seaworthiness. Ask guys that have one and if possible ask for a ride first, before buying and wasting money. Other thing is functionality, if the boat doesn't have what you want or need in a boat then no matter how pretty it might be, don't buy it..........

Alfred

KIK-N-BAK
Oct 25, 2005
Lemon Grove
Name
Al
Boat
30 Ft. Blackman Outerbanks KIK-N-BAK
The $$$$ you have to spend is the first thing to deal with. I am not sure if the weather comes up very fast where you travel. Two engines would be something I would consider. Flotation if swamped would be the next thing. Do not go out and be with out contact with other boaters in the area. Have good electronics, DSC on the radio with your information entered into the radio. Etc. Only take family out if you are sure the weather will be good. Keep all of your safety materials up to snuff, etc.

Conquest

Apr 11, 2009
Ewa Beach/Hawaii
Name
Ben
Boat
27, Boston Whaler, Conquest
I ran a 20' BW cc outrage for the last three years, many times taking it out on the North shore of Oahu. Very solid boat, and took many waves into the boat, like someone mentioned above, self bailing is a must, and positive boyancy is not a bad thing either. Recently sold the boat for a BW 255 conquest, only because the family wanted to stay drier. Try looking on the east coast, lots of boats for sale--going very cheap. Good luck.

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
I ran 19 whaler cc and never had any scary situations. Fished it in any weather including small craft warnings off Kaneohe. It pounded like a bastard and the bow was no good for cruising. However, in nice weather like 10 knot winds my wife could sleep up there. You will have no problem fishing a 24 outrage cc to Molokai and it is a very dry boat because of the big chine.

mpwvp

May 26, 2009
Honolulu,HI
Name
Masho !!
Boat
18'Larson CC Lani Wai
Many Mahalo's for all the reply's, I really wanted to hear first hand from some whaler owners that have experience being in
rough seas. Thanks Conquest and AJ for the response.

Thank you bloody deckers for posting your opinions and insight.

I feel more comfortable now buying a CC boat.

Most likely going to try and pick one up cheap on the east coast.

Aloha,

Marshall

May 16, 2006
sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
Name
mike
Boat
25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
i've fished my boat in all kinds of weather on oahu, everything mentioned above is solid advice. center consoles are solid fishing platforms, just not the most comfortable in extrememly rough seas......buy grundens and your good.

beauchat

Jan 12, 2009
Kaneohe,Hawaii
Name
Russ
Boat
17 Radon
Fished on my friends 17 edgewater. Very seaworthy boat with self bailing deck. Been out on days when most other boats wouldnt dare go out. On some days a smaller boat seems to fit perfectly between swells, better than a bigger boat would. Only problem is that youll get really wet just because its a CC. I didnt mind at the time because at least I was out fishing but looking back it sucks to be soaking wet before the sun even rises.

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
My two cents, if you want to fish it, a CC has more room, but may be a wetter ride, but that's why they invented eisenglass... a cuddy cabin boat will have the dry space that the family likes... I love my Glacier Bay 2670 now.. i had a 21' Proline Cuddy and it is a good running boat... I think i have been saved now by having two engines on the boat more times that i can count on my hands.. and it's been a blessing... the weight of the boat is nice too, really sits well in the water and handles a bit differently... I would say look in your own back yard for some good deals, but man, i got a great deal buying my boat from Florida and had it shipped out here... so, if ya can, hop a ride in the model you think you'd like.. just to see... also, what about storing it and launching it??? that's a deal breaker some times... Wish i had a house like good ol capt don! hahaha

Addicted2fishin

where's da fish
Jun 16, 2006
Hawaii
Name
RJ
Boat
19 Glasspro, 17 Ali'i Kai
Fished on my friends 17 edgewater. Very seaworthy boat with self bailing deck. Been out on days when most other boats wouldnt dare go out. On some days a smaller boat seems to fit perfectly between swells, better than a bigger boat would. Only problem is that youll get really wet just because its a CC. I didnt mind at the time because at least I was out fishing but looking back it sucks to be soaking wet before the sun even rises.
Thats balls right there..haha. Every time I see my friend on his 17 edgewater I cringe. He looks like he's standing on the water... and this is Kona, the calmest waters around. Nah but I seen and been in 15 ali'i kai skiff center consoles that take on a ton of water and keep on going. My friend's last boat... a 17' Makau... awesome dive boat... but the center console wasn't fisherman friendly... no room for big fish box... and the sides were low... the custom railing still made us afraid of leadering fish. He bought a Force instead. No regrets except that he should have kept his 17' Ali'i Kai.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Howzit Tightliners,

So far it has suited its purpose and now I am thinking of stepping up to a larger boat so I can feel a more safe going a longer distance like to the Banks or Molokai. I really like the CC boats that are available out there. However I am a little concerned about swamping etc. I was thinking about buying a Glacier Bay,Edgewater,Boston Whaler,Mako, all in the
24'-27' length.

So here is my question.

Is it safe to cross the Kaiwi channel in a CC boat? do I have a better chance of getting swamped in a boat that is that open? Have any of you been swamped before in a
CC boat? I would love to hear your story if you did.

The reason why I like CC boats is because of the ablity to take my family and friends out for mild cruz's and having the open bow for additional seating, however I am more concerned with safty then comfort.

I really appreciate all your wisdom,and opinions.

Mahalo's and tight lines everyone.

Aloha,

Marshall
Marshall (sorry a little late),
Good luck with your quest on finding yourself a new ride. Some of my boat riding experience related to Center Consoles only; fished a 25' Aquasport 83-87 Montauk/Block Island & offshore from these points, great boat, solid, fairly comfortable but wet if there was a breeze. 23' Mako periodically 92-96 (friends boat) Oahu, fast, fairly comfortable but I think I could have gotten better gas mileage out of an ocean freighter. There was 1 VERY SCARY thing about this boat; when in a following/quartering sea she would want to dig her nose in which would then push her rear side ways (more likely vice-versa), there was more than once I felt like I was going end up in the water, never went any where without rain gear when on this boat. I heard someone eventually flipped her over but I do not know any of the details.

Though I love the functionality of a CC it will probably not ever be anything but a boat with a cab (for me) and some day a bridge. It's nice to be able to get out of the weather when you want to. The difference between what you are looking for and what I'm describing, the Kai'io is fishing only, she knows nothing else and going to keep it that way.

Cheers
Pat

mpwvp

May 26, 2009
Honolulu,HI
Name
Masho !!
Boat
18'Larson CC Lani Wai
All great info, if I lived in a perfect world I would most def get two boats one to fish and one to cruz around with the
family. I plan on leaving the boat in the water in Hawaii Kai
being that my friend has a house out there and we keep our
current boat on a jet dock for now.

mpwvp

May 26, 2009
Honolulu,HI
Name
Masho !!
Boat
18'Larson CC Lani Wai
Guess with the resent twin hull boats sinking and flipping, that pretty much rules out buying a Twin Vee. I'm not saying they
are bad, its just that I wonder what other people will think
later when its time to sell them.

force21

Oldie
Mar 3, 2009
Kailua Hi USA
Name
Glenn
Boat
21 Force JAYMIELYN
Twin hulls are a different animal and will not handle the same as monohulls as previously stated by very experienced boaters, the question would be what are you looking for in a boat? Twins are more stable, monos "rock", length and width are also a big consideration...bottom line is how much are you willing to spend for your expectations?