Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Royal Polaris, Ocean Odyssey, Yours with an invite
Hi All:
I'm so stoked! My wife hooked me up on the Royal Polaris for a three day trip at the end of July. (two weeks from now) I've mainly fished 1.5 day trips previously and could use some input on gear for this three day trip.
Took a minute and printed down the gear list from the RP site, and it's a good base to work with, but know there are plenty of you guys out there who know what is the hot ticket for tackle or tips for best practices on this trip.
My quiver is small but I have several reels: Penn 16s international, Penn 15kg, TLD30 (2sp), Avet LX (sp), MXL (2s) and SX (sp) with rods ranging from shortys to seven foot graffighters.
SKB box full of lures, feathers, weights, hooks etc. (Thinking five sticks total)

I know the tuna are slamming, so I don't want to get caught going too light.
Any and all positive advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!
TRIX

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Nice! Any chance that I can get my wife and your wife together for lunch? She sounds like a very positive influence!

You will have a wonderful time. Don't overthink it, smile at the crew and ask them to keep an eye on you, and they will see that you are doing things right. My main suggestion is don't overdo the physical side of the trip, if you try to spend every possible moment at the rail you will probably be exhausted when a beast slams you on the third day. Take a break every couple of hours, sit in the galley and get some fluids in you and get out of the sun and off of your feet.

ShadBurke

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
RP not a big fan of those that fish the light string.........

So bring some variety light to heavy to fish the big ones.

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Cool! thank you for your input guys.
Yes, my wife is on next level status when it comes to me getting some fishing in.
Last time she did this for me, I ended up at the East Cape for a week! She is the best.
How about making bait? I'm under the impression this is how it's going to be.
I'll have my set ups moved up a notch or two on the top shots (i.e. 30lbs up to 40lbs, and 50lbs up to 60), as most of my rigs are already loaded with spectra 65 lb
I can appreciate the words on trying not to over do it, being a 1.5 day boat cow for the last decade, I'm all about taking it easy. Got to be ready if the boil pops off.
Honestly I'm all geeked up right now.

wii888lo

Mar 15, 2015
Name
ricky
Boat
ricky
the 30-40-50-60 setup should be fine but i will bring a 80 also thats just me if u don't have it do not stress and go buy one ...it might not get used but i don't like to be under gunned .....i usually bring 2 -30 setup one for backup then i go 50 if its wide open bite and 80 ......on a 3 day

ShadBurke

Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardians
Two years ago on the RP, I got a 90lb bluefin on 25lbs with a 10 ft stick. 3.5 hours.........

Didn't make many friends on that trip....

However, it only took me 30 minutes longer to get that fish than another guy who hooked up same time and he was fishing 40lbs and his fish went 87lbs.

Four were hooked, Roy Rose being one of the others, handed it off and that fish was landed. That fish went low 80s and was caught on 50lbs for almost two hours.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I also suggest that you make a reservation with a fish processing service to meet you at the boat upon return to fillet & vacuum pack your fish. It is quite possible that you will end up with over two hundred pounds of fish, so clear some room in the freezer.

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Thank you for the feedback guys. Yes on the two 30# setups, And, a Hell yes on the fish processing.
I'm gonna have to pick up a new reel to commemorate the trip, it's the least I can do for the quiver.:)

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I do 3-4 day trips. Usually bring 2-30s 2-40s and 2-50s. The 30's are rigged for bait. One can drop to 20 if needed. One 40 for bait, one for light iron. One 50 for bait, one for heavy iron.

Also bring a another 30 or 40 with Lexa400 for poppers....but have also used the regular 30 and 40 light iron for that too.

In a pinch, both iron setups can be switched to bait for back up with 4' of floro and a hook.

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Sick! this will keep me in the "what you got" zone! Thank you to all you guys for your input!

badpetedave

Aug 14, 2008
socal
Name
david
Boat
24 proline cc REEL DEAL
I was on the rp last summer and Roy rose told us he didn't want us to use anything less than 50lb mono and it was a 1.5 trip we killed the dodos limits for whole boat great crew and boat good luck

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I was on a trip and we could only get bit with 20lb floro. Some guys were screwed.

Best bet is to be prepared. IMHO the more you can do with what you got the better you are. However, there as a limit to absurdity. Rigs that can double or triple duty with little effort, or in a short amount of time, allow you to do more with less.

Reactions: badpetedave

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
I'm going to slip down to my dads house this week. He has some heavy duty gear that I can grab to make sure i'm not under gunned..

Reactions: badpetedave

TrixKelly

Rancho relaxo Tuna killa
Jul 31, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
CK
Boat
Ok, loaded up on fresh topshots of 30# (SX & TLD20) and 40#(LX and MXL), 16s international with (60#) and 15KG with (80#)
I'm looking at a nice Avet HX reel that has been teasing me for a while, we will see if the boss lets me pull the trigger on that gem.
Had a little visit to Kaiser for some patches yesterday and now just pick up some goodies for the trip.(just in case)
Chomping at the bit.

wii888lo

Mar 15, 2015
Name
ricky
Boat
ricky
go enjoy urself ck ...u have more than enough setup ...like i said before ...ur primary go to is the 30#...post report when u come back with limits of everything .....