Need some knowledge.........

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Calis, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Calis

Calis Salish for "Kingfisher"

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Bayliner 2855 Ciera
    As many of you might remember from my post last fall, I bought my dream in November. It a 2855 Ciera Sunbridge. 454 cobra with mercruiser bravo II outdrive. I am the third owner. First owner dry stored it in Anacortes and hardly used it, the last owner dry stored it on Mercer Island and used it in the San Juans for cruising and camping only.
    I have spent this last winter out fitting it, updating it and getting it ready to fish and crab (such as it will be this year). I have been pretty liberal with the spending having saved up a nice nest egg to do this and getting a pretty good deal on the boat to begin with I have had money to do pretty much as I have wanted. Up until now that is:
    Down to the last big decision and update and getting all sorts of opposing advice and in some cases none at all.
    Looking to put a kicker for trolling and if need be redundancy for the motor in emergency. I have already decided I am going with the Remote troll outboard bracket off of my newly installed swim step extension. slick installation and deals with all the different but inefficient or troublesome in my opinion, steering options for steering a kicker.
    My dilemma,: I have an older 1983 Evinrude 7.5 motor I saved from off my last boat. It is barely used maybe having less that 10 hours on it before I sold the boat and kept it for use on "my nebulous dream boat at that time" kept it because it was the best running little kicker outboard I have ever experience at that time, period. Ran amazing throttle down precisely never smoked very very reliable, starting first 1/2 pull everytime. Stored inside all its life, light and easy to handle (all things considered). For my 18 footer it was perfect and IDEAL KICKER MOTOR!!!!
    I also recently acquire a older 20 hp Mercury 1974 model. Was my father-in laws and he swore by it and used the hell out of it all the time. I got it as he was done fishing and boating and was liquidating all his sporting stuff. Motor looks very nice pretty clean and I know my father-in-laws obsession for taking care of his stuff, but the motor has not ran in at least a year and probably two to be honest. I personally have never heard it run except in stories but these were legendary as he had this motor for ever. We had it on a 20 foot aluminum john boat. This motor is NOT easy to move and manipulate around being heavy and bulky. He had wiring for remote start (a plus) but it has never been hooked up ever. Both are two cycle, have fuel tank for the evinrude but not for the merc. Both are two cycle's.
    I am being told by several "experts " the 7.5 is probably too small to adequately push my boat even for trolling, and especially to rely on as a backup for my 28 footer, of course others had disagreed with that hypotenuse thinking it will be adequate, still other say the 20 is too large and too much motor but ideal for a backup. Others think this would be two much for a trolling motor being overkill.
    Me, Ideally I would love to spend the money on a new mercury 9.9 bigfoot or maybe even a mercury 15, both in 4 cycle, then plumbed into my main tank. The advantage of a newer motor is I can augment the remote troll remote steering with a throttle remote from I-troll or pro-troll to complete the system for autonomous. Something that won't happen with either of these older motors since the don't support that with out possibly jury rigging and macgyvering something. Leaning over the edge of the transom to operate a kicker is NOT GOING to be an option.
    Of course the problem that makes this all interesting, is this is the last improvement I have planned and I really don't have the money ( besides that would be to easy right...)to spring for a new kicker this year having spent it in other areas. .
    SO questions: 7.5 hp evinrude sure thing or 20 hp merc sketchy, what to do about remote throttle for both, and in the case of the merc do I invest to get the remote start going, remote start for the evinrude??? (hear that could be available). or do I bail and suck it up and break down for a new motor.
    LOL and just to make it interesting I do have a happy trolling plate I could put on the bravo II and solve all my problems, Eliminated and concerns other than a backup. with no purchase.
    love to hear your ideas and knowledge. Again just going to be used for trolling salmon and possible emergency backup to an engine that already runs excellent!!!
    Sorry for the length of this.
    Bill W.

2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Ditch them both and get a yami 9.9 ht. A 25 ht would be better with a boat with that much windage but much more $. Look for a used 9.9 to save money. Those motors you have are not made to push heavy loads around at trolling speeds like the high thrust models.

Fishnski and mrfish11 like this.
  3. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    This.

No one likes to choke on two stroke smoke while trolling for salmon

4. thesaltyhooker

thesaltyhooker Newbie

Name:
    Anders
    Boat:
    North River Seahawk
    sell the other two and buy the yami 9.9ht

Fishnski, mrfish11 and Odin7 like this.
  5. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Did the twenty run like a champ because it was being compared to other motors with carburetors?

Nixon was President in '74, women were burning their bras (sadly, they got them back), the Cold War was on fire and one of the most astonishing things to hear come out of a man's mouth was, "Yup, just turned 100,000 miles on the odometer. It's because I change the oil every 300 miles."

Go with a newer, more reliable fuel injected motor and hang the twenty in the man cave. When you have guests over, point to it and begin your story with: "Back in the day... "

Pau Hana, Calis and BugeaterInWa like this.
  6. Hewes OP

Hewes OP Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!

Name:
    Geoff
    Boat:
    Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
    x2

Fishnski likes this.
  7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Is there an echo in here? Lol

8. Tomictime

Tomictime Crusty Old Salt

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Coldwater 37. The Way
    echo chamber, in triplicate

sell / trade for at least a 9.9 HT, love my 25 Yamaha
    your outdrive WILL let you down ...eventually

Fishnski likes this.
  9. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    I haven't looked at your boat model to know if it has outboards or not but.....
    Have you researched the possibility of tying the kicker in with the main steering. My boat has the kicker connected with a bar to the steering of the main outboard. I had an earlier boat where the kicker set a fair amount aft of the main. Seastar had a cable system that worked really well for me. What I'm trying to get at is if you can connect to your main steering all you need is is an autopilot and of course you need a pilot for that boat. With this type of set up when trolling you put into play the steering affects of the units not being used, outboards, outdrives, rudders which will help the kicker control the boat if that makes sense.

10. bigdood

bigdood I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    Nauti Dawg
    In an emergency do you really want to be relying on motors from 1974 and 1983?

Calis, mrfish11 and Odin7 like this.
  11. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Both of your options suck. The 7.5 is too small. The 20 probably won’t be great either with a relatively small prop. Both will choke you out, will require a remote tank, aren’t electric start andI don’t think they’re easy to convert to remote controls.

Don’t cheap out. You need a high thrust 9.9 or bigger.

bigdood and Calis like this.
  12. SalishFish

SalishFish Member

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    22 Skagit Orca - Max'inux
    Suzuki 9.9HT is same motor as their 20HP, not sure the performance trade btw HT and 2X the HP.

13. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    I SEE LOTS OF 9.9'S IN CRAIGS-HOT-LIST. YOU JUST NEED TO REWIRE THEM AS MOST HAVE CUT WIRES!

Ducker!

bigdood and Calis like this.
  14. Calis

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Bayliner 2855 Ciera
    Yeah did this ONCE!!! On my last boat an 18 footer. it had a 40 hp Evinrude and used a 5hp Johnson hooked with the steering link. Had it all professionally installed but that thing was a huge source of frustration and aggravation. LOL half the gray hair I have left was because of that set-up!!! I have seen others on other boats working perfectly and the cats meow. But left a really bad taste in mine for the rest of my life.
    Besides that ship has sailed as I opted for an extended swim deck so no linking the kicker with that on.

15. ledbed6b

ledbed6b I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    People are missing the obvious, mount them both up! If you cant's afford a nice new kicker then have a kicker for your kicker.

I say this mostly joking, but I had a boat blow an outdrive (get ready for that by the way, not a matter of if...) anyway it was the middle of coho season and my boat was at shilshole so I just would go out on my kicker. I was always a little nervous so I borrowed a buddy's little 1970's 5hp kicker and kept it in the cabin. Well on my 4th trip out my kicker crapped out, so I switched it on the water. Got back to the dock no problem, and then the other kicker died just after tying up ropes. Good times

16. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    A swim step should be no problem with this, that is if you have outboards. http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/seastar_kicker/
    Worked great on a 22' Arima that I had before my present boat.

17. mrfish11

mrfish11 "Ice Melter"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    So you were "THAT GUY". :D

18. Calis

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    Bayliner 2855 Ciera
    Thanks Guys!!! Knew I could count on the brotherhood for info and advice!!!!!
    I know the answer......... just haven't wanted to accept it yet.
    That little 83 7.5 is a damn fine motor I known its entire life and really has always been a phenomenal runner, never smoked AT ALL, ALWAYS fired 1st 1/2 pull every time, ran without even so much as the slightest burble and seemed to have more power than it was advertised. Probably was built on a Wednesday!!!! I have known its entire working life less about 4 hours and I maybe only had 10 hours of my personal run time on it.
    The 74, total opposite. the only things I know about it, is it belonged to my father-in-law, how long he had it is a mystery surrounded by hyperbole. HE says it ran amazing and is totally supported by my nefarious brother-in-laws. At least they all have stories of how good it was/is. All I have ever seen and have to go with, was it forever up against the shop wall for the last 18 years. Oh and he doesn't have the gas tank for it (nor can he find it and he's totally Mr. organized) and the "starter wiring package" was handed to me in a box, which if it was anyone else, each of those items in itself would be more than a bit suspicious. Then it was "given" to me this last Christmas as a "present" and announced as it was being given "to have a decent kicker to use on you new fancy boat" LOL. ( enough reason right there to find a way to move it along LOL) I have invested zero time seeing if this will run or its condition. all I've done is take it out of the car and mounted on the walker/outboard stand I also was given to help clean his garage out/Christmas present.
    Personally I would really like and am leaning towards a newer Merc 9.9 bigfoot 4 cycle, injected. All the other factors being important but primarily a having a newer engine that supports wireless remote control throttle has been tops for my list. Haven't decided but both the I-troll and pro-troll look like nice set-ups. Really intrigued by the I-trolls "hunt" mode for use in salmon!!!
    Been hearing nothing but good on the Merc and also same also regarding Yami's and Honda's. But price for any has definitely been a factor no doubt especially when talking 4 cycle, remote start, hi-output, newer and good condition.
    Most everything I've seen with those factors have bordered on high to top end (legitimately) to beyond absurd pricing. Like I said, last of the nest egg reserved for this boat, been doing really well outfitting and updating with everything I've wanted and best of things, and have managed to stay under and within budget but this decision between the trolling plate set-up and outboard, remote controls and rigging will do that egg in!!!
    Not having a kicker hasn't been nor really ever been an option. Ordered the troll bracket last week, so now I have 750.00 further into the decision. LOL
    Thinking I might mount the 7.5 temp and get some pink fishing in and keep my eyes open for said Merc, Yami, or Honda. The 7.5 can get my in if needed from the pink and crabbing grounds. Its only money right????

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  19. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    Lol! I see that all the time around Everett Marina. You’ve moved up since then!

20. Swede

Swede Yachtless

Name:
    Swede
    Boat:
    Kristen Lee
    Yamaha 9.9HT. Keep it for life