Need some input: MAK 50 or 30..........or 20

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by errock_22, Aug 8, 2016.

1. errock_22

errock_22 Professional Fuel Burner

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo" & Triumph 1700 Skiff
    Hi all,

I know this a LR forum but who better to ask than the experts. (Does it count if I plan on taking a LR trip in the near future :D).

I'm looking at larger reels to fish the kite off of private boats for these local BFT, troll marlin locally (swap out some
    spectra for mono) and to take with me on my trips to Baja and hopefully PV in the next year or so. I know I want a Makaira but I'm not sure what is the most versatile between the three. I know the 20 is a "30 sized" reel and the 30 is a "30 W". And the 50 is, well, a 50 I think. I've seen that LR boats use the biggest reels for the kite to get the bait way out there, but does the line capacity come into play when you on a nimble platform that can chase the fish?

I also have a TAC25 that I use to fish mackerel with on the slow troll, but I think it doesn't have the capacity that's required for the kite.

Just looking for thoughts/opinions from you guys who have handled the reels. I can order one but local shops don't really have big gear normally, or if they do it's very limited so I'm buying blind for the most part.

Thanks in advance.

2. bassbagger69

bassbagger69 Member

Name:
    Tea Bag
    Boat:
    Impatient
  3. Abo

Abo Member

Name:
    Mick
    Boat:
    23' Searay
    I now have all three, the 50 is the standout reel for a lot of reasons if you want to fish marlin

errock_22 likes this.
  4. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    What's your primary purpose for the reel? If its kite fishing, I'd go with the 50. Reading the posts here, even on a PB, 2-300 yards of line are out for the kite, and a big fish can rip that much line off again well before you and the driver realize what is happening and adjust--you'll want a 50 if that happens. If your primary purpose is versatility, the 30 is probably better, but you could get spooled if you "get lucky".

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    errock_22 likes this.
  5. bravomeister

bravomeister Member

Name:
    Alex Bravo
    Boat:
    Dusky 19
    For the kite, go with the 50. It can also be used for bait when you go to PV and if you hook a big one, you will be glad you have a 50.

errock_22 likes this.
  6. errock_22

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    This will be a 50/50 kite and heavy trolling rig. I guess I'll probably need a harness too. My boat doesn't have a usable "rail". :Beat_Them

7. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Harness and ak 50...... what rod are you using????

8. errock_22

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Rod is TBD, honestly my gut tells me that the 50 is too big. But that is based on zero real world experience. I'd like to not have to strap in, if possible, but gear this size is WAY out of my wheelhouse, hence the question. If I can get away with a 30 size and a rod that can kite/troll and not catapult me off the boat,I think I'd be happy. Keep in mind, my biggest gun currently is a TAC 25 and a 765M.

80% local fishing / 20% Baja - PV

9. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I believe the 30 (30W) and the 50 (50N) both have roughly the same capacity - although, I could be wrong. The 50 is obviously a winch, but so is a 30. You can always chase the fish down in a PB. It would be easier to travel with the 30. Both should get the job done just fine, flip a coin, lot's of good input here.

errock_22 likes this.
  10. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    ...and the 20 is basically a 30 narrow. I have both the 30 and 20, but I'd get the 50 if it was primarily for the kite. The difference between the 50 and 30, on cows, is night and day.......you want the 50.

....just my .02

errock_22 and Lake like this.
  11. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

It will not catapult you if you use the little lever thingy on the side of the reel to back off the drag....lol

Cranking on a 50 on a big fish is easier than with a 30....the outfit will be in a rod holders 90% of the time on a PB....so IMO no biggie on the size/weight issue.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    errock_22 likes this.
  12. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    In your situation on a private boat, I'd go with the Mak 30. I have both and it is a little easier to handle than the 50. Depending on line, the 30 will hold over 900 yards of line. (My 30 has 700 yards of JB 100 spliced to 225 yards of 100 solid). The 30 would also allow you to flyline a sardine should you want to in the future, something that is hard to do with a 50 unless you've got ripping current. Having said this, I do agree that on a cow, I'd rather have the 50...:)

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

errock_22 likes this.
  13. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    For the local Bluefin off the Private boats I use a Mak 20 when flying the kite.
    I do have the mak 30's and Mak 50's but the 20 is plenty .
    All of them would work.
    Unlike on a long range boat with a Private boat you have mobility. Line capacity isnt as much of an issue and a MAK 20 still holds plenty.

errock_22 likes this.
  14. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Any of the three will work for your application. All of them have strengths and trade-offs. I have three of each and they work great! Since Marlin is involved, I would probably lean towards the 50. Is there a shop you can visit with all three to see which fits best with your preferences and ergonomics?

Hope you enjoy the selection process. You will probably end up buying more than one :)

- Jeff Burroughs

MikeyLikesIt and errock_22 like this.
  15. Terryw

Terryw Capitan

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    Sold
    I would start with the 20. Should be plenty for local kite fishing. Great sardine reel on the long range trips. Trust me this won't be your last reel so get the 50 next. I have them all and when standing at the rail all day opt for the 20. To me the 30 is a bit wide but all this is personal preference. Be sure to get the SEA for your fishing. Good luck.

16. spinner

spinner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mikegooing
    Boat:
    none
    the mak 50 is the same weight as the penn 30 and has incredible freespool.