Need some help

Discussion in 'Avet Reels Support' started by Earle, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Earle

Earle Newbie

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    16' Pro-line C/C
    I have a problem with a 30W I bought late last summer. Reel was purchased new from a reputable dealer in Florida. When I put line on it I discoved that it had massive drag. Example: With the pre-set knob fully backed off, the reel still had 4# of drag at "bait" and 24# at "strike". It can not be adjusted to any less. There is no free spool unless the lever and the pre-set knob are both fully backed off.
    Avet insisted I send the reel to them for repair (on my dime), which I did, even tho it bugged me after allready paying for shipping once. Got the reel back in exactly the same condition it was sent in,except they put it in a new box and added a couple Avet decals. Nobody at Avet claims any knowledge of even seeing the reel, let alone the paper work that was included.
    So, I guess I'm on my own. Anyone have this problem with their reel, and if so, how did you fix it. Right now all I have is a shiny paper weight.
    Thanks for any possible fixes.

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    It sounds like the belleville washers are arranged incorrectly. Pop open the reel and look at them. I think they should be ()(), but the reel will work if they are (()). The arrangement of these washers will influence the drag and free spool. That said, I can't imagine Avet didn't fix the problem...

3. Earle

Earle Newbie

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    16' Pro-line C/C
    Thanks for the suggestion, Bill, but I've already checked them. There are only two washers and they are arranged properly. () This is as the schematic shows they should be.

4. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Change them to ((. That should eliminate drag in free spool. If it does, then check to see how much drag you have when you shift out of free spool.

5. Earle

Earle Newbie

Name:
    Earl
    Boat:
    16' Pro-line C/C
    Thank you Bill. Switched the washers to (( and it seems to have solved the problem. The reel now functions as it should.
    One final question. Does it matter how the washers are orriented on the shaft? I put them on like this: pinion gear-((-bearing. Is this correct, or should they face against the pinion gear, or does it matter?
    Thanks again for your time.

6. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    If it were me, I'd put the washers convex to the bearing -- gear))bearing -- but I doubt it really matters.