Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys going out on a 7 day soon have most my tackle ready however still need to spool my biggest rig avet exw30 done by cal 1:1 blueprint drag ect its matched to a phenix 700xxxh I will be using it for mainly trolling and possibly some bottom fishing who knows maybe big tuna. I posted this same thread in the avet section and got one suggestion for 100lb hollow core then just using a few different wind ons. Anymore suggestions here? Thanks in advance.

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
I agree with 100lb hollow line, but if you're using it mainly for trolling a 25-fot wind-on isn't the way to go. I prefer 50 yards minimum, 100 yards is better. In case lines cross, tangle, or someone else hooks up and burns you off, you lose cheap mono, not expensive spectra. Have a couple spare topshots with you and you're good to go.

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
The most important thing is to have a tackle shop that you can trust. You need to have the line on tight.
What brand of line are you going to put on? I myself like Jerry Brown hollow. That way if you need to you can spice more line on it on latter. BPH tackle can do that for you... He does really good work on getting the line on it the way it needs to be... tight..... They are also some great tackle stores in San Diego that can help you... Squidco ... they have a different brand... but its good stuff also.... hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
I agree with 100lb hollow line, but if you're using it mainly for trolling a 25-fot wind-on isn't the way to go. I prefer 50 yards minimum, 100 yards is better. In case lines cross, tangle, or someone else hooks up and burns you off, you lose cheap mono, not expensive spectra. Have a couple spare topshots with you and you're good to go.

Also, your spectra gets pretty dirty if you're trolling with it. All the diesel exhaust really sticks to the line.

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I agree with every thing that has been said. Hollow core braid with loop and if you are going to troll a long Mono wind one. 50 yards min. you do want some stretch.

As to braid, it should be wound on tight. My personal preferences are Jerry Brown, Izor. and I am trying the new Seaguar Thread lock.

An option, depending on which boat, is to have them put the line on the reel. Most of the LR fleet will do that. The only problem is they may not have the braid, so if you decide to have the boat put it on, bring your own. Double check with the boat first.

Good luck.

PS... Any one using Thread Lock? Pro and Cons

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
I agree with every thing that has been said. Hollow core braid with loop and if you are going to troll a long Mono wind one. 50 yards min. you do want some stretch.

As to braid, it should be wound on tight. My personal preferences are Jerry Brown, Izor. and I am trying the new Seaguar Thread lock.

An option, depending on which boat, is to have them put the line on the reel. Most of the LR fleet will do that. The only problem is they may not have the braid, so if you decide to have the boat put it on, bring your own. Double check with the boat first.

Good luck.

PS... Any one using Thread Lock? Pro and Cons

I have it on all my reels. Love it. From 60# to 130#. Haven't found anything to not like about it. Opens easy and super easy to splice and/or loop with...

My .02