Need rod/reel suggestion for 3.5 day out of San Diego

LitiGATOR

Jun 21, 2016
Ft. Lauderdale
Name
LitiGATOR
Boat
Conch
I'm sure threads like this have been posted many times, so I apologize if this is redundant, but I want some input. I'm a Florida fisherman, and an experienced one at that. But have a San Diego trip coming-up in a couple weeks and want to buy one combo (if possible) to supplement what I already have.

I'm looking at something in the 20-40# range with which I can throw jigs (for yellowtail, smaller tuna). I've been thinking about the star drag Saltiga 35H and one of the United Composites rods, possibly the Challenger Platinum series. I like a longer rod, but it appears I can only get that model in 8' with the deckhand option. That's not a big deal, but back home that's not ideal, so I was hoping for a reel seat and hypalon. One of the longer ones like the Del Mar, Wahoo, etc., are also on the table. I'm open to suggestions and not set on the reel or rod, just want the best for what I'm doing.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
CE 900 Wahoo + Saltiga 35H would be a great combo for jigs! I think UC does make a factory model with reel seat in this line. But if you could wrap your own that'd be ideal.

I'm currently getting a 900 Wahoo wrapped with reel seat and hypalon to couple with a Trini 16A for jigs.

Good luck!

Reactions: LitiGATOR
Upvote 0

LitiGATOR

Jun 21, 2016
Ft. Lauderdale
Name
LitiGATOR
Boat
Conch
Thanks for the response. I don't think I can get the 9' blank shipped so would have to arrange to pick it up in San Diego before the boat leaves

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
The Diawa/UC sounds like a nice combo, but I would suggest the 5:1 ratio instead. Potential problem with the UC is I believe the ones with a reel seat may be a special order, and depending upon how much time you have...

Or, for YT and schoolie tuna you might consider a more "classic" surface iron combo of a 90J and a Fathom 25n star drag. IMO a perfect 40# setup for the scenario described that will save you a couple hundred bucks...

Reactions: LitiGATOR
Upvote 0

Pete1979

Almost A Member
Nov 4, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Pete
Boat
Anything that floats
If fishing out of San Diego, you have the option of picking one up in town. Seaforth Landing had a pretty good selection of 9 footers on hand and I believe Charkbait is only a couple of miles away.

Upvote 0

LitiGATOR

Jun 21, 2016
Ft. Lauderdale
Name
LitiGATOR
Boat
Conch
That's what I've decided to do. I'm bringing a couple 8' rods over. When I get to SD I'll buy one or two 9' rods, fish them, and have the shop ship them back home, which they said was no problem. Thanks for all the great advice

Upvote 0