Need rod recommendations and a bit more

Aug 28, 2014
Name
sh
Boat
non
I fish quite a bit of albacore north of you guys and think I'm fairy efficient at it with iron but I'm finally making my way down there for some bigger fish. I have my reels picked out (Trini 16, Talica 12ii, Talica 25, Torsa 16na, JM pe10, maybe Mak 20 or 30).

I have 2 jigging rods paired with the Torsa and JM reel for speed jigging but need some lighter outfits for the Trini, Talica 12 and heavier rods for the 100lb+ fish I might encounter. The heavier setups would be used for flat fall jigs and bait fishing at night. JM, Tac 25, and Makaira reel I plan to spool 100 or 130 braid with 80-100 fluro leader.

For the Trinidad and Talica 12, would 40 or 50lb braid and 25-40lb leader be about right or should i down/upsize the braid? Anything I'm missing because my credit cards aren't quite maxed out yet.

Thanks

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Spool your 16A with 50 braid and your TAC12ii with 65 braid. You should get about 375-400+ yards respectively. Change out your fluoro leaders from 25-50 as the situation dictates. I've personally seen the TAC12ii consistently fight and land 50-90 lb. BFT. In some longer battles, it's even bested triple digit fish in a pinch. Your 16A is perfect for fly lining bait during the daytime bite using 25-30 lb flouro and small hooks. The recent cookie cutter tuna have been 25-40 lbs but if you do hook a bigger fish, you'll have a good chance to land it even though it's a single speed. Hope you don't slap it on the long rod, personally my lower back would never forgive me now. 😂 You can also use the 16A for 4-6 ounce sinker rig duty or tie on a jig if need be. (Great light surface iron reel) Slap either reel on a 7-6" to 8 foot rod, capable of handling the drag specs. Others can chime in on factory production rods to buy "off the shelf". (I'm having a blast now wrapping my own custom sticks) IMO, those are the two main outfits you'll use 90% of the time on this current bite. Guys here will tell you to bring it all, but I'm selective depending on how long the actual trip lasts. My goal three seasons ago was to bring less gear when I book open party trips and it's a good feeling! (makes it easier when I travel too) I now cover 98% of my offshore needs with 4-5 outfits. Yellowfin starting to chew a bit better now but the warm water pelagic bite won't REALLY explode until after August 24th. That's when I fly down again to kill some more! 😁 Good luck and go get your limit...🐟

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
The blufin have been really picky recently. There are tons of them out there but they don't want to bite. On my last trip you had to drop way down in line size and hook size to get bit. I caught most of my fish on a Talica 10 with 40lb JB spectra, a long 18' or 20' leader of 20lb or 25lb Seaguar Premier fluro and a #4 or #6 J hook. Most of the fish you hook are 25lb to 35lb. There are a few 50lb to 75lb fish in the mix. If you hook one of them you can usually land it unless the hook is deep and you get chewed off. I fished my Talica 12 with 65 spectra and 40lb fluro leader for a sinker rig outfit and flyline outfit but didn't hook any fish on it.
Some guys were getting a few larger fish up to 75lbs on colt snipers on 40 and 50 pound line and also on sinker rigs. The bigger fish have been hanging out deep with the smaller school size fish more toward the surface. The night time fishing is mostly flatfalls, knife jigs etc with 80lb or 100lb line on big reels like Talica 25's or Avet HXW raptors.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2014
Name
sh
Boat
non
Thanks for the replies.

Any rod suggestions? I've never fished for tuna with anything besides Japanese jigging rods (short and thin diameter rods) but I've read it's a bit of a challenge on party boats and longer rods are needed to get around one another.

Been reading about UC rods, Phenix, Seeker, Daiwa Proteus, Terez (not too many good reviews about lifting power), and some others.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
On my last trip I saw guys landing fish with every type of rod you can imagine. A lot of 7' Phenix rods, lots of UC 8' rods, some Seeker American series 270's and others. I used a Cousins graphite composite 80H and it worked fine especially when you hooked one of the bigger models. I also had a Seeker OSP 1x3 and a SuperSeeker 6470H for 40lb and 50lb and a heavy Cousins railrod for night time flatfall fishing.
The 8' rods are good for getting a bait away from the boat and also for keeping the fish away from the corner of the boat when they are circling at the end of the fight. The 7' rods give you a little more leverage when fighting the bigger fish. You just need to be sure that any rod you use has enough backbone and a strong enough tip to put some real pressure on the fish you are fighting.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
We are brethren! I live in Oregon, caught 40 big Albacore last Friday, 2/3 on jigs 1/3 trolling. Biggest grade of Albacore I have seen in 3 years; we got 18 2-gallon sacks of loins from 40 fish!

Biggest first, the San Diego BFT bite this year has been Insane! On a 1.5 Day on Tomahawk last May I caught 120#, 125# and 185# BFT all on 300 gram SK Jigs!.
Rod/Reel recommendation for the big stuff is easy! I used a 7'6" United Composites Viper rail rod paired with a Makaira 20 SEa loaded with 700 yards of JB 100# metered braid for all 3 fish. Perfect!

Next up is your Talica 12ii. I would be tempted to load this with a thin 65# braid like Pro Spec or Max Cuatro, or a standard 50# braid like JB or Daiwa J braid. Both excellent! This reel would pair brilliantly with an 8'0" UC Terminator, perhaps one of the very best options around for a 40# bait stick. I have a Penn Torque 30/2 on my Terminator, absolutely love it!

Jamie @ Bob Sands always seems to have a special "Oregon Price" for me any time I'm in the market for a new stick, he has the Makaira 20 SEa in stock as well. Jamie also doesn't charge sales tax to us Oregonians, and his shipping is very reasonable for these longer rods. If you DM me I will send you Jamie's Cell#, super knowledgeable guy, he will definitely help you out.

Good luck!
PXL_20210524_074229450.jpg

Upvote 0