shooter21

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 30, 2014
Bakersfield
Name
Shane
Boat
Someday
Good luck on your choice . Many great rods to choose from, but some are definitely better than others.

lazyfisherman

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
Not sure your fishing style, but here's some recommendation for 40-50lb rods from UC.

If you like a really fast action rod, go with the 80Tilefish.
If you prefer a softer tip, but still a fast action, go with the 80Predator.
If you prefer a more moderate action rod that won't kill your back, go with the 800Delmar.

Tried the 80Tilefish and the action was way too fast for me. Killed my back. 80Predator is a 50lb rod. Has backbone to fish 60 if you need to. Tip is soft enough to fish 40 if you need to.
It's one of the most versatile blank in UC's lineup. Finishing up a 800Delmar which I plan on trying out this year. Heard a lot of great things about this blank and the action is amazing. You have to really pull on all the different blank to find the one that fits you the best.

From Calstar, I like using the BTG6480. If you like 7ft rods, the 700H is also perfect for fishing 40-50.

joe pimentel

805 local
Dec 27, 2010
pismo beach, ca. U.S.A.
Name
Joe P.
Boat
The Pacific Mistress
Don't count your fish before they are caught and support your local tackle shop's on the west coast. Check out all they have to offer and make some new friends. I have a bunch of Phoenix rods I like to fish all custom rapped and had good luck with so far. Thought I would chime in since you started BD on my birthday:cheers: :pee:

Catch em up !! :High_Five

Tugboat64

Sep 8, 2017
Fishing in the Closest Water
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
I don’t know where you like fishing out of, but Options sport fishing was an excellent boat and crew for my charter trip last year, they got me my first cow bft. They are located out of Long Beach aquarium of the pacific area but will drive to areas like the butterfly bank if they are there, i suggest giving them a look

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Somebody Else's
I’m going out for the first time this summer hopefully if school allows it hoping to get multi day charter
And which charter would you guys recommend for a Greenie
Seriously?!? 9 and 10 foot rod recommendations? 4' topshots?!? For a self-professed newbie?

I would suggest throttling back a bit and starting out with a more basic first setup - at least until you're comfortable fishing on a sport boat. You've got a few tangles and saw-offs in your immediate future (please don't take it personally, it's inevitable). You're starting with an outstanding reel - it will easily fish 30-50# classes no problem. I would suggest spooling with 65# solid braid, leaving enough room for at least a 75 yard mono topshot. You can always add a 3' section of fluoro to the end if/when you want to start exploring what fluoro can do...

UC rods are awesome - I have a half dozen of them. But I'd start with a bread and butter 7 footer - something like a Calstar 700h. It gives you way more leverage on the fish in a standup posture, and it's damn near bulletproof. AND, can be had at a steep discount second-hand. Better yet, go to a good tackle shop and get some hands' on advice...

Be patient on the rest of the stuff - it'll come with time. Focus on the basics initially, and the aforementioned setup will help in this regard IMO...

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
Thanks again for all the advice still haven’t booked any trips but hoping to get it done sometime soon I appreciate everything you guys offer as knowledge I will definitely take this all into consideration

Cody B

Feb 21, 2018
So Cal
Name
Cody
Boat
NA
Preferably 8ft and 40-50 lb I was looking into a Terez rod which isn’t to heavy on the wallet and I would like to use it as a multi purpose rod
If you want a rod that is a little more stiff for some lifting power and you like Shimano, check out the Teramar rods. I have 3 of them. Great rods and they are cheaper than the Terez rods.

Asael

Aug 17, 2019
Lake elsinore
Name
Ace
Boat
Fury
If you want a rod that is a little more stiff for some lifting power and you like Shimano, check out the Teramar rods. I have 3 of them. Great rods and they are cheaper than the Terez rods.
Will do I’ll check them out to

CommanderPinhead

“You merely adopted the bilge, I was born in it”
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
Get a CalStar 6470H. That BV 500 is a good 40lb reel... you would should aim for a rod that can be fished a bit light with that reel or a bit heavy. The 6470H does that.
Second thing, this would be your first sport boat rod. Your best option is to stick with a forgiving rod that doesn’t bottom out to easily and you can fish a variety of ways. Is the rod a little bit heavier because it’s glass? Yes. But, at the end of the day the difference is pretty small and you don’t seem like an old fart so you should be able to get plenty easy. The glass is forgiving, it can be fished damn hard, and it’s pretty affordable.

my .02 from working on Sporties

Reactions: DannyNoonan

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
I’m going out for the first time this summer hopefully if school allows it hoping to get multi day charter
I have a like new accurate bv2-500 unspooled
What line recommendation do you guys have for it? What rod should i pair it with? And which charter would you guys recommend for a Greenie Thanks guys I appreciate it !!
65lb braid on that BV2-500 and fish 40-50lb leader....Okuma PCH Custom 80XH Rated 30-60lb will be great for that reel if you want the best bang for your buck..btw..Okuma is the maker of the Valiant series of rod...

if money is not a problem...i hear great reviews on United Composite Terminator...

Ralph Hammond

SeaSquatch
Aug 29, 2018
La Crescenta CA
Name
Ralph ‘Lb’ H.
Boat
Outrider-Mirage-Excel-Shogun-Endeavor
I cut 6” off the butt of a 1000 Delmar, and absolutely love it! Since built a 9’ and already have a 8’ Delmar. Love them. I’ve got a few nice 40lb sticks up for sale here in the classifieds section. A calstar 800MH, and a GUSA 90 Monster. $300 ea. Like new. Also have a selection of customs wrapped up, and waiting to be wrapped. Hit me up name is Ralph

Ralph Hammond

SeaSquatch
Aug 29, 2018
La Crescenta CA
Name
Ralph ‘Lb’ H.
Boat
Outrider-Mirage-Excel-Shogun-Endeavor
And I’ve also got a couple Terez rods I’d let go cheap. $150ea. One is 30-65, and the other is 50-100 (braid) both are 8’

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
I just got a Uc 80 wahoo red/dark grey
That is a great rod. I use it to throw jigs. I was going to recommend a UC 80 terminator, I fish my bv2-500 on that fishing 50. I think your setup is sweet, it would not look like you're a newbie with that!