Need radar expertise

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Shimano Penn, May 14, 2017.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    So when I bought my boat the seller said "radar used to work, doesn't work now, I don't know why". It's an old boat, probably an old unit, and I frankly wasn't going to base my buying decision on the radar. Last summer I had a 20 something kid out one day who spent an hour reading the manual and playing with the unit. He finally gave up saying all he could come up with is some "bad cable" error notice. Could it be that simple? A cable or connection? I'm not desperate to have radar but it would certainly be nice if it's an easy fix. Who do I call to look at this for me?

2. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Bad conection is not uncommon. Correctly rigged a bad cable is less common but does happen - much more likely if it is poorly rigged. Sure someone will chime in with a tech down your way. You may not be desperate for radar now - having a good working radar and knowing how to use it will hopefully keep it that way.

3. Fishbones

Fishbones Your wife thinks about ME

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Swing by Custom Marine Electronics on Shelter island, they have a lot of used stuff if you need a replacement cable