scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
"I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
I know trolling isn't the best way to catch fish in SoCal or the most exciting but for some reason I love it. maybe it reminds me of fishing in Cabo, Bahamas or Costa Rica but anyway. back to the point.

My buddy and I have a random mix of trolling gear from old penns, newells up to TLD 30IIA but we don't have any 2 the same (maybe a pair of TLD 15?) I want to get 4 identical reels and rods but not sure what size and line class would be the most versatile. We will usually be targeting large bonito(for fun/practice) yellowtail on xraps or feathers if openwater trolling, 10-50lb yellowfin, and striped marlin in the fall, We hooked and lost one a few years back and it still haunts me. some bullet points to make it simpler...

What LB line should I spool with, I prefer 100% straight mono (30,40, or 50lb?)
What size reel/how much line should they hold of the test I go with?
single speed or 2 speed?
Would using shorter rods in the corners and longer rods on gunnel help reduce tangles with no riggers?

I will be selling some stuff to make room, like this squall 60LD / 6' standup rod

Reactions: Ryan_J

Ljp123

South Florida
Jan 10, 2021
Florida
Name
Luis Pille
Boat
None at the time
Tld 15s would definitely be too small if you get into anything decent sized. A pair of tld 30s with 30lb mono would probably be better suited for what you want to accomplish and should have plenty of capacity. The length of the rods wouldn't matter in regards to keeping your spread from tangling. It all has to do with your spacing and turns we pull 4 or 5 lines high speeding for wahoo in the Bahamas straight out the back and never have tangles.

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
well I just sold my boat but for trollers I had 4 Penn 12T 2spds, 4 Penn 16s , 2 Penn 30s, 3 Penn 30 sw, 2 Penn 50s and 50sw, so I had all the base covered plus my bait and iron sticks.. all on new rods I built..

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
Thanks for the response Ljp, Florida seems to be a whole different animal. something you would use for trolling for blackfin, Dolphin, sailfish and white marlin would be similar I guess. I'm trying to avoid buying 3 more TLD30II if I don't have to...

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Thanks for the response Ljp, Florida seems to be a whole different animal. something you would use for trolling for blackfin, Dolphin, sailfish and white marlin would be similar I guess. I'm trying to avoid buying 3 more TLD30II if I don't have to...
all my fishing is out of San Diego...

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
all my fishing is out of San Diego...
I see, you seem to have had quite the quiver. I’m just trying to graduate from trolling with whatever 4 rods I can get my hands on to 4 dedicated and identical rigs, any answers to my posted questions would be appreciated.

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I see, you seem to have had quite the quiver. I’m just trying to graduate from trolling with whatever 4 rods I can get my hands on to 4 dedicated and identical rigs, any answers to my posted questions would be appreciated.
okay good luck

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
TLD 30's are great reels until you hook marlin. I hooked a 250lb marlin back in september and it about spooled me, on top of that it blew my reel up (to much drag). But other than that I recmoend 4 TLD 30's or if it's in your price range, go for Penn internationals VSW's (Gen V, gen 6 is VIS) those internationals are great trollers and i would own a set if i didnt have TLD's alreayd

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hard to beat a Fathom FTH60LD2.
Put on 400 yards of 80/100-pound braid, and add a 100 yard mono topshot of 50-60-80 as conditions dictate.
Reel is only 27 ounces, so you'll at least be able to let the bonito tug for a bit, but no problem handling a striped marlin or stray 125 pound tuna if one happens along.

RESIZED Trolling FTH60LD2.JPG

scbassmaster

twin22s
Sep 8, 2006
san clemente
Name
Brian
Boat
TLD30 is as big/expensive as I’d go, also landed this in Costa Rica on a TLD 30 with 30lb line...
F18DD661-0862-4094-AD44-9804913C67BE.jpeg

Not quite 250 but never once felt out gunned. Looks like 4 TLD30II going to be the goal, now what to spool it with? I’m thinking straight 40lb

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
TLD30 is as big/expensive as I’d go, also landed this in Costa Rica on a TLD 30 with 30lb line...View attachment 1260484
Not quite 250 but never once felt out gunned. Looks like 4 TLD30II going to be the goal, now what to spool it with? I’m thinking straight 40lb
i spool my TLD with 2/3 100lb izorline solid braid, connected to 100ft of 80lb izor mono

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    TLD's are annoyingly loud. But not bad otherwise. Fathoms are your best bang for your buck and is what I would go with. You can get those rod holder outriggers to add some distance to your spread.

Don't need the 60 like suggested above unless on a sport boat and need the lugs.

Last edited:

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    OK, I've got 4 TLD30 2 speeds. most of them have half braid and 50 or 60lb mono on top already but I think that might be a bit much when trolling hard baits for yellows and bones, obviously not overkill for tuna/marlin trolling.

We will be doing more inshore than offshore trolling.

I'm looking at getting a set of 4 Penn Rampage rods. My first thought was get 2 20-50 6', and 2 20-50 7' and fish 40lb line. after feeling the 7' 20-50 in store I'm wondering if I should order the 30-80lb rods 2 6' and 2 6'6" (I like shorter rods in the corners) and maybe go with 50lb if thats not too heavy for pulling an Xrap15-20. anyone have any experience with these rods. the goal is enough tip that 3-5lb bonito are fun, and enough backbone that we can put 12.5+lbs of drag on a larger fish if needed. Anyone know where I could pull on some, my shop (Hogans in Dana Point) only had the 7' 20-50 in stock...

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
    laguna niguel
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Henriques 28 Express
    30 pound mono works fine on TLD30II speeds. That is my trolling setup for local marlin. Just turn boat to the side that got the bite while you reel in the other lines.
    I used to run short trolling rods when I owned a 20 ft Shamrock. Rocked fine with a clean transom. I went with 7 ft rods when I owned a Blackman 26 that had a swim step. The rod needs to clear what ever maybe connected to the back end of the boat. Xraps need a lot of drag to stay put. 12.5 pounds of drag is good for 40 pound line. You will have a hard time finding a trolling rod that can handle 40 pound and not be too stiff for a 3-5 lb Bonito. I suggest sizing down the tackle to the Bonito and size up for the bigger fish.

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    Here's my two cent. You said you prefer straight Mono... [which means to me no braid]. IMO you should have at least 300 if not 500 yards of line on the reel. Also when trolling you really never know what will bite. Small, large or bigger. So I would prefer at least 80 pound mono. That being said you'd need at least a 30 size reel and I like two speeds.

Just my two cents.

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
    Hard to beat a Fathom FTH60LD2.
    Put on 400 yards of 80/100-pound braid, and add a 100 yard mono topshot of 50-60-80 as conditions dictate.
    Reel is only 27 ounces, so you'll at least be able to let the bonito tug for a bit, but no problem handling a striped marlin or stray 125 pound tuna if one happens along.

View attachment 1260478
    X2. i run 6 of these on my boat