Need local Maui knowledge - charters?

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by thegw, Aug 11, 2012.

1. thegw

thegw Newbie

Name:
    Wayne, Grant, John, Rick and Paul
    Boat:
    26 Ft Sportcraft, "The GW"
    Hey guys,
    We are headed to Kaanapali Oct 13-20th and want the inside scoop on which boat to charter for a full day. I know Start Me Up and a hand full of others will read this and push their product so I'm hoping for unbiased locals who, if you were going to drop $1,000-$1,400 for a full day of fishing, who would you charter?

Three of us, focused on Tuna/Wahoo - don't about chasing marlin at all. We'll take 10 40lb YFT/BigEye over a 400lb marlin any day. We are experienced fishermen and have our own boat here in CA. Even willing to jump aboard if a local with a nice 32+ ride wants to earn some extra cash and we'll foot the tab. Not looking to drive very far to catch the boat so La Haina or somewhere close is idea.

Hit me up, thanks in advance!
    ~Grant

2. SEA SEVEN

SEA SEVEN Member

Name:
    None
    Boat:
    None
    I'll be in Maui by then and skippy arrives Sept 20ish... 24ft skippy a little tight for 4 peeps but at least you get to keep your own catch.

PM me when your down

3. thegw

thegw Newbie

Name:
    Wayne, Grant, John, Rick and Paul
    Boat:
    26 Ft Sportcraft, "The GW"
    Thanks Joe, we'll connect a week or two before and discuss!

4. twntybucks

twntybucks Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    20ft Proline
    Hey Grant. I will be in Maui the same week, and I am looking to get on a boat as well. I am doing the same research. If I come across anything good, I'll let you know.
    Dave

5. JTjigger

JTjigger Newbie

If you do charter a boat out of Lahaina or Maalea harbor, tell them you want to leave early like 3 or 4 and see if you can make some live bait like scads. The boats that hit the buoys MC K NASA Bouys around the island of Lanai first usually have the best luck. Also, if the weather is permitting Molokai is a good destination. If I remember correctly, Kahoolawe is open one or two weekends a month. If it is open you want to go there and fish the Shoals. Some good boats are through Start Me Up Sportfishing, Hinatea, and Piper. Try and stay away from Captain Charlies boats which are the Finest Kind Reel Hooker to name a few. Boat rides for the tourist. If you can't get an early departure like 3 or no later than 4 than go to the Big Island on a island hopper and fish there. Charter prices are better and the fishing is generally better. The top boat there day in day out is Northern Lights and Marlin Magic. Northern lights does Green Stick fishing for Ahi. Fishing starts 5 minutes outside of the harbor in Kona with a legitimate chance at big game. Imagine catching a 200 pound ahi 5 minutes from the harbor. The other thing you can do is rent a center console skiff from Kona Boat rentals and bring your own tackle and run the boat yourself, I used everything of my own like the my own gold reels lures hooks etc...except the rods, which I borrowed from the boat rental place because the rods are a pain to bring over from the mainland. I have done it, with good luck on Ahi, Mahi, and Ono. If on Kauai go fishing with Reel Hawaiian Sportfishing, great fishing on Kauai this time of year. Just my two cents. Aloha and goodluck.

6. SEA SEVEN

SEA SEVEN Member

Name:
    None
    Boat:
    None
    WOW.. good info right there!! What where and how do you catch scads? You in Maui now? wanna ho?

7. Hector1

Hector1 Hector

Name:
    Craig Harnett
    Boat:
    None
    Hi guys
    I have just posted a similar thread - will be in La Haina from 9th - 13th October and Kauai from the 13th - 20th/22nd. Could get to Kona for those last coupla days if necessary. I wouldn't turn down a nice blue if one turned up but would rather catch fish than tow big lures around all day and see nothing.

8. JTjigger

JTjigger Newbie

I am a mainlander socal but frequent the islands for fishing. If want yellowfin/ ahi go to kona, they have ono lane just outside the harbor and fishing very south end of the island is good for ono. The yellowfin/ahi can be caught open water or on the buoys. There is very little finesse in Hawaii. They use momoi 550 leader and no less than 300 leader and big circle hooks way bigger than anything I have used on the long range boats. To make scads/opelu/akule you troll with little clark spoons(chrome) or king busters(pink ones) on 25lb test at 3 knots to make the bait and put them in tuna tubes to keep them alive. Some boats have a live bait tank. Hope that helps

9. benitobandito

benitobandito benito

Name:
    benito
    Boat:
    19 glasspros
    " To make scads/opelu/akule you troll with little clark spoons(chrome) or king busters(pink ones) on 25lb test at 3 knots to make the bait and put them in tuna tubes to keep them alive."

JTjigger - this is wrong, that is for Aku or other small tunas. We fish different here for sure, but you would too after the first time you got your 80w spooled!

Good luck with the charters guys, just remember to have a great time!
    Benito

10. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Catching live bait isn't very difficult, just time-consuming. The easiest way is to go out to the 40 fathom ledge (give or take) at night, shine a light over the side, wait for the fish to come to the boat, and then catch the baits on fluorocarbon sabiki rigs. That method produces mostly opelu and some akule, which are perfect for mahi or tuna. Opelu can also be caught at dawn or dusk, but that takes some practice and hardly ever yields a full baitwell. Around the buoys or in bird piles you can catch bait-sized tunas by trolling small lures. These are more appropriate for marlin but they also make great charlies (teasers).

Jonny

11. JTjigger

JTjigger Newbie

So Benito, you don't use king busters to catch bait or Clark spoons? I do and have on the big island and kauai. YOU ARE WRONG. Some use sabiki rigs, but the majority is done with king buster and clark spoons to catch bait. Then slow troll them around high spots and FAD's. Hope that helps

12. crazy cooter

crazy cooter Newbie

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Ranger
    We will be in Maui the end of February. Back about 12-13 years ago we fished out of a boat called the Offshore Hunter. The two younger guys that were working that boat busted their butt! We caught a bunch of mahi mahi. Any idea who those guys were and if they are in another boat? Thanks for any replies