Need input on what used boat to get

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Chad
Boat
SOLD
Yep. I do want a boat for this season but I have plenty of time and not in a hurry. If I can't find a good boat at a good price then I will just hold off.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
And are there any concerns going with an I/O setup? Thanks.
Just Google that one. I like it because I am familiar with the engine and can do all my own maintenance/fixes at sea. I don't mind having the box taking up cockpit space because I stand on top of it to fish irons and what not. You may be different. Does let you have a big swim step if you like to swim or dive though.

Less reliable, but also easier and waayyyyy cheaper to fix/replace. Brand new 350 is like 1/5 the price of an outboard.

Personal preference.

Reactions: The Chad
Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Grady White is a much better built boat than Parker, imho. What size tow vehicle do you have as that is an important part of your package

Outboard v I/O v gas v diesel ... You will get a 1000 different opinions .

I have been offshore when a prop shaft on a diesel broke & the boat almost sunk at the 60, I have been on I/O powered boats where the bellow/boots went south and it got really dicey.

Every system has its weak points but outboards going south won't leave a leak in your hull.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Chad
Boat
SOLD
Grady White is a much better built boat than Parker, imho. What size tow vehicle do you have as that is an important part of your package?

I have a 2015 Ford F-150 the new ecoboost with a locked rear diff and complete tow package including transmission cooler. I'm rated to tow up to 12k so I good on that part for everything I'm looking at (even the 27 foot Grady white fully loaded with fuel and all weights in at just under 10k). It's all about traction on a boat ramp though.

Upvote 0

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Chad
Boat
SOLD
Well reporting back, I listened to everyone's input and spent some time looking around and decided to raise the budget a bit and found a 2007 Defiance 250EX with twin Yamaha 115s with right at 500 hours on them. I did sea trial today and had the engines and hull surveyed and all is very good shape and well maintained. I pick it up Thursday. Thanks all.

Reactions: Ed Y
Upvote 0

hilltop

lurking in the shallows
Jan 1, 2010
sb 805
Name
hilltop
Boat
sold, pangas, Intrepid, and diggin the RRIII
you found a winner! solid call, congrats!!! it won't high five all day like the parker would have

Upvote 0

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Chad
Boat
SOLD
you found a winner! solid call, congrats!!! it won't high five all day like the parker would have
Thank you and after a bunch of research that is what I found out as well, that they ride much better and still have the big open deck space and pilot house I like. And I really wanted the twin engines. It all worked out very well.

Upvote 0

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Chad
Boat
SOLD
Thank you and after a bunch of research that is what I found out as well, that they ride much better and still have the big open deck space and pilot house I like. And I really wanted the twin engines. It all worked out very well.

Upvote 0

TwoTapPat

Crank the handle Randle
  • May 22, 2013
    some where on the water
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    High on the Goat
    Good luck that boat is way underpowered. I have fished off the same setup. That boat needs 150s at least. Parker is a better boat all around.

Upvote 0

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
    Murrieta, CA
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    SOLD
    Good luck that boat is way underpowered. I have fished off the same setup. That boat needs 150s at least. Parker is a better boat all around.
    Yeah I actually ran a few different boats and the Parker ran way to rough at anything 25MPH and above for me. It seemed to just slap around too much for my preference. This boat is much smoother. And as for power I'm not sure I agree. Runs fine, and doesn't seem to struggle as you would suggest. Very good burn rate as well so again I'm too certain I follow you unless you just don't like the brand or are a Parker fan. Either way, thanks for your negative input!

Reactions: bman440440
    Upvote 0

TwoTapPat

Crank the handle Randle
  • May 22, 2013
    some where on the water
    Name
    Pat
    Boat
    High on the Goat
    Just my 2 cents. I have spent lots of time in both boats. From calm ocean to some nasty stuff. Good luck with your choice and I hope it fills your needs.

Upvote 0

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
    Murrieta, CA
    Name
    Chad
    Boat
    SOLD
    No I do hear what you are saying that defiance isn't your thing and I do appreciate your input. Everyone does have a bit different preference. For the defiance boats even the current year in the same size and weight comes stock with a single 150 and can upgrade to a 200 so from the data I've seen and the time I spent on the water with it over the last few days I think the twin 115s do very well in performance and fuel economy. I am very happy with my choice. Thank you.

Reactions: bman440440
    Upvote 0

DesertDog69

Oct 16, 2018
    Victoria
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    None
    I know this is an older thread but does anyone with the 250EX know what the max horsepower is for the newer models of this boat? Can't find it online.

Upvote 0