Warlord

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
First off, I didn’t mean to imply I used a popper to hook that fish. I was playing with it using bait and ended up with the knife in the proverbial gunfight.

The reel was able to stop an estimated 130+. When the fish got up and down, there was no getting a crank on the reel. Shimano needs to perfect a 2 speed spinner! The TP 14000 is too high geared to fight big fish.

Last edited:

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
If you watch some of the YouTube videos of fighting very large tuna with spinning gear, sometimes the only way to get them up is to lock down the drag and physically pull up on the rod without any bend in it, just physically pull the stick straight up, and gain a couple of feet of line, then repeat. Wicked hard tactic, and desperate.

Reactions: Warlord

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
If you just crank on any spin reel and don't retrieve line all you're doing is just twisting the line. I wouldn't lock the drag down but I would palm the lip of the spool as much as I could and see if I could move the fish. If you can't move the fish, try again. sooner or later you'll move the fish, it will get loose or a shark will eat it. We used to fish spin rods in the Keys back in the day and that's how we did it but we weren't fishing for 100 lb tuna either.

Reactions: Warlord and Cubeye

Jorge jon

Dec 27, 2016
USA
Name
none
Boat
None
If you have fished yft ( or any other pelagics ) on poppers , and a dedicated popping rod you would have realized a few things.
First, once the fish is hooked up it will run for its life. Therefore, is when the high line capacity of the spinning comes in place .
At this point is just a hold the ride , until the fish gets tired and you start pumping in .
Depending on the fish size, and the depths you're fishing, this could take a long time or just a couple of cranks.
Once , the fish sees the boat , the dead circle dance begins.
Now its when you pump the hardest , as you must control the head shakes as the fish wants to get unhooked.
Here is where most of the folks lose the fish to a couple of mistakes.
Most common lock down your drag , wrong the fish will run again a couple of more times as he feels its end is near. Palm the spool dont lock it down , you will need that drag .
Lock it down if needed, when the fish is belly up .
The other common mistake is fighting agaist the drag, when the fish is running ....to the point of exhaust not the fish but the angler.
Popping game is a lot about awareness, knowing where your fish is at all times, knkw the depths you're fishing , when to crank and pump and when not & mostly know your gear .
I've seen rods snapped in pieces due to own self stupidity...

caranxo

Jul 26, 2018
canary, spain
Name
jorge
Boat
antares
I have
purchased a Makaira 30000 spining reel. Now I need to figure out the rod.
makaira 30k!!??Are you looking for whales?...that is the fastest on the planet!, but ++weight (20000 is even for +300lb).You should have gone with BG8000(it goes well for tuna 100lb?...or LETHAL100)...x3price:SLAMMER HS8500. A step above CATALINA6500/TORQUE9(on the heavy side, they are the two lightest).

....(BTW, what was the problem getting a crank? Not enough drag?)I think a TP 14k is a fine place to start, as far as a big spinning salt reel. Considering cost, ratio, capacity. It can cast big baits from beach or boat, pop or swim or burn, troll, jig decent depths/speeds.
keep in mind one thing!. ratio 6.2=134cm is the biggest IPT=LESS POWER...(new stella comes with longer handle). If you look at quality/price I think it is better option CATALINA ON TP.

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
I disagree with most replies. While I do agree that popping ( to include both popping and swimbait rods) and jigging equipment can be very subjective, as what feels good to me doesn’t feel good to someone else , there are some replies here that make me scratch my head. I highly recommend going and actually putting the equipment in your hands before buying anything. I know sometimes that can be difficult since dedicated shops are far and few between. Most guys ( myself included) did it the hard way: buying, fishing and selling/trading stuff until finding whatever fits me right. I highly stand by the saying “buy once, cry once “ as most of the time you will upgrade, especially if you catch fish. Quality equipment usually holds its value in time and the more you fish it the more you get out of it when you ha e to sell it. How many of you guys were popping back in 2010? I know Cali guys had no idea that popping was even a thing, there was a very small group of dedicated guys, people were still figuring out rods and lures, most equipment was top quality stuff and very rare, most of the time it was traded like contraband between members, people would drive cross country to go on a fishing trip, very tight groups of anglers. Places like Hatteras, OBX, port aransas, Venice were like a Mecca for popping guys. Boats like Big E, Scat Cat, Dolphin Express, pelican are forever linked to popping culture in the USA. Most of the old timers are either gone from the scene or going solo.

Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Remember, there’s no such thing as too much line or too durable a reel once you’re hooked up. Choose accordingly.
The best popping stick I’ve ever owned is the Black Hole 86n. Fishordie has been extolling the virtues of these rods for quite awhile now and he’s not blowing smoke. Also makes a better than average stickbait rod, and after you get some time in chucking poppers, you’ll be throwing those too! It’s a disease... you can treat the symptoms but there is no cure.

Reactions: Bob Sands

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
I recommend g man’s intro into popping, intro into jigging and Mr Bill’s bendo thread ( popping rods). That should give you an idea and you will take it from there. Mr Lou if you have any questions please pm me and I’ll be more than happy to talk popping tackle with you. If you have a trip and can’t find what you need I’ll gladly loan you one if my popping rods to get you going.

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Anyone have a Phenix Megalodon? Comparison to Black Hole? I have BH jigging rods and really like them. However the popping rods are very expensive and Phenix is about $200 less. Will use with Penn 8500HS

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Looking to buy at Fred Hall next month. Recomendations?

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
Advertiser
Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Anyone have a Phenix Megalodon? Comparison to Black Hole? I have BH jigging rods and really like them. However the popping rods are very expensive and Phenix is about $200 less. Will use with Penn 8500HS
Depending on your expectations, targeted species/size, Locations where you will fish, Air Travel vs. driving, financial situation, platform (Panga, Cruiser, Big boat, Center Console, etc.) you are considering fishing from, Popper Weight/Size and Which model and version of Penn 8500 you purchased, perhaps I can give you some ideas. We carry both Blackhole and Phenix but you are correct, there is a large difference in price especially when you get into the Cape Cod Popping Series... There is also a large difference in feel between the manufacturers and the different models...

No doubt lots of folks are getting by with certain spinning rods that may or may not be designed for popping... If you are just looking into giving it a whirl that is one thing.. But since you have already committed to the Blackhole level of jigging, perhaps you might fall into another category..

Possibly your casting technique with a spinner needs just a small bit of tweeking or not. We can discuss some fish fighting techniques by using an existing rod you might have along with a bumper hitch or other fixed object so you will know what to expect before you get to the show... Like all things fishing, this is going to be a You thing once you know many of the parameters upon which to make your best decisions without the ability of actually test driving the rods in on the water, situations..... And probably without someone on the boat who is actually well versed in popping with a spinner. However, you will be able to pull on a few rigged rods at the show at a few of the vendors such as Blackhole (Long Beach Only).

I would also consider bringing to the show your fully lined reel (If you already purchased it) as some vendors might let your try your reel on their test rods. You will want to make sure, when you enter, that your reel is tagged at the front and or identified as yours purchased outside of the show (Bringing Your receipt, if you have one, would not hurt). Lots of folks bring in reels to be serviced or ?? at a few of the reel repair vendors at the show so this should not be a problem.

Regardless if you purchase from us or not, it would be my pleasure to help in anyway I can. The more folks out on the water, who are informed, the more folks are going to watch you land fish and the more folks will include this amazing aspect of our sport into their fishing agendas. Most folks may not target bigger tuna from big boats but for the majority of folks targeting those under 60 pound models, poppers are ridiculously fun if your West Coast Popper fishing Expectations are in check. Big Tuna, from a big platform, require a different level of commitment. Big Tuna from a smaller private boat are very doable with the suggestions I will give you.. You are welcome to PM me for more info..

Have a great season.

Jamie

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Plan to use swim baits, popper, live bait and chunking from center console In Panama and Mexico; definitely traveling. Received 8500HS as a gift with a 6foot Okuma jigging rod. I like the BH quality but it may be overkill for my limited use. Used a friends Phenix chunking for smaller YFT, 70#. It worked well but want to ensure that whatever I buy is good for wide variety.