Need help with new budget YT setup

Cbs49er

Jan 18, 2021
Los angeles
Name
Brian
Boat
Hobie
So I’m still pretty new to salt fishing, most trips have been on my friend’s boat to Channel Islands for rockfish which we’ve done great. I have 2 setups mainly for rockfish/bass
Lexa 300hd 50lb braid on st croix 7’6 heavy 15-30lb mojo inshore which I got from a member
Penn squall 30level winder 65lb braid on California classic 7’ 15-40lb
I would like a budget setup for 1day yellowtail trips preferably for surface irons. I’ve searched and see daiwa slosh 20/30s mentioned a lot and deckhand 8ft rods. Just looking for more info thx.

Upvote 0

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    Do you have a budget in mind? You can score some good deals on classifieds if you don't mind pre owned. You should be able to find something suitable for under $400

Second I would recommend 9' sick if it will be a dedicated jigstick.

Reactions: sickcat
    Upvote 0

scott v

• Sep 3, 2011
    Rancho Santa Margarita
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Keep wishing
    The Daiwa you mentioned would be a decent choice. I would look at the 30 or 40 though. A budget reel I also like is the okuma Cortez. They are good reels and are about 160 I think. Graftech rods are nice for the price point at around $170. Other option for rod would be to wait for the Sabre line to go at sale at Big 5 when they are $60-70 if you really want a budget rod that will work just fine.

Reactions: Levelartist
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Go big or go home. Go 9 feet if you are looking for surface iron. With a little practice you will appreciate the extra foot. There are tons of options it really depends on your budget and what rating you are looking for. I’m in the SF valley if you want to try out some different types of rods LMK I have both glass and composite from 8 to 10 feet. Good luck!

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I have to disagree with kayakbeast33 and Mr. DRE, the man admits to being a newbie. The last thing that he needs is the experience of trying to fight a good yellowtail on a nine foot rod.

If you want to work at being a great caster of jigs, then a nine or ten foot rod will make a splash way out there. But if a yellow or tuna actually eats your lure . . . not a fun experience.

The Daiwa reels that he mentioned are fine. Penn and Shimano and Okuma make terrific reels too, and have budget lines as well. Go to a real tackle store, not Walmart or such, and try some gear. Find a handle that feels right to you, a reel that balances in your hand. Then put that reel onto several different rods of around 7.5 to eight feet and rated 20 to 50 pounds. The guy at the tackle store will help you and keep you within your budget, whatever it is, because he knows that treating you right gets the store a long-time customer, and you are going to buy a thousand bucks worth of other things from him from him in the next year if you enjoy fishing with your new rig.

Reactions: Cappers_Life
    Upvote 0

Cbs49er

Jan 18, 2021
    Los angeles
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Hobie
    I think I’ll go with an sl30 since I’ve a seen good used ones locally around $70, was hoping around 150 for the rod, I love my local tackle shop it’s just that it’s very small and small selection. Also I eventually would like to get my hobie kayak out in the ocean so just another reason for a budget setup, it’s probably going to get real abused lol

Reactions: geebee
    Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
  • Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    If you could find a good deal on an sl 20 or 30x, they seem to cast better than the SLSH series and ive seen them on this board for like $80-90 sometimes cheaper, which I would say is worth the extra 10-20$. The old 1st gen grey Torium 16 & 20's are solid reels. I picked up a used one for less than $100 and after servicing it, it outcasts my newer hg models so im keeping it. The advantage of those is the HEG system really makes fighting yellows fun..doesnt really feel like a 6:1. Sealines...a little harder turning the handle on a decent fish even though they are also 6:1. Im more of a yoyo guy so wont even chime in on surface iron rods.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Don't limit yourself to just one tackle store. LA has a LOT of excellent ones, and Orange County adds more. Keep your money in your pocket, spend $20 in gas, go check out Bob Sands and Sav-On Tackle and several in between, just to start.

Some people spend a day off hitting little white balls around a lawn. A much better way to spend the day is to prowl around at least three different tackle stores, asking yourself "What's New?"

Reactions: Cbs49er
    Upvote 0

MRC70

• Oct 31, 2016
    San Marcos, CA
    Name
    MRC
    Boat
    not yet
    I have used and would recommend the following budget reels:

Sealine x30 or x40
    Shimano tld15/30 or 20/40
    Shimano Speedmaster III or IV star drag
    PENN Squall 25N or 30 Star drag

I would go for an 8’ rod. Turners sells Graftech jig sticks for around $150. Or try to find a used Calstar 6480 or 270-8H.

Upvote 0

Cbs49er

Jan 18, 2021
    Los angeles
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Hobie
    So I’m picking up a really nice daiwa x40hv with a saltist 8ft rod for 100, since I believe this is a livebait rod I think I’ll still get a surface iron rod and get a smaller sized daiwa reel to pair with the saltist rod, maybe size 20 or 30?

54ADC3F9-2038-4F9A-A2D1-94F2DB3F912F.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0