RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat Name
    14ft Valco
    Hey BD,

Looking to get my first pair of binoculars. Want them for fishing from 21-23ft boats. Any tips or things to look for? Do I definitely need gyroscopic or are those not really necessary? Don't really know anything so any information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: John Stidman

John Stidman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
    Following. Interesting topic as I'm interested and new as well. Thsnks for posting.

Upvote 0

Dozer217

Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    gyros are a true game changer, ask most captains and they would rather leave the dock without a sonar than their gyros if fishing tuna/yellows. If you can't afford the gyros then a good quality 10x50 pair will get you going

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat Name
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I have gyros, (Fujinon Stabiscope 1240) and without a doubt they are a night and day game changer, but for your first pair it might be a bit of a big hit.

If I was in your shoes I would head over to Baker Marine and pick up a pair of their name brand 7x50’s with the face shield, they are great.

John Stidman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
    I have gyros, (Fujinon Stabiscope 1240) and without a doubt they are a night and day game changer, but for your first pair it might be a bit of a big hit.

If I was in your shoes I would head over to Baker Marine and pick up a pair of their name brand 7x50’s with the face shield, they are great.

Are these the ones you are referring to for a beginner set?

Screenshot_20220725-200316_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: Spoons
    Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat Name
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Are these the ones you are referring to for a beginner set?
    That’s them. I do agree eventually you will want to upgrade to Gyros if you really do a lot of offshore fishing but I like being able to just grab these and check something out quickly, they are my back ups.

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat Name
    14ft Valco
    thanks everyone. looks like ive got some saving to do. ill just use a pair of regular old ones for the next couple trips i have and maybe next year ill be able to grab a pair worth while. cheers

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat Name
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Yes, spend the money and get the good ones, consider it an investment. Buy some good ones and have them for years of good use... just don't let some tweeker steal them and trade them for a 1/4 gram

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Save your money and get a good set for around $1800. Don't go buy a pair of cheap one that say Image Stabilizer. Brands also have a big part in buying a pair. If you buy a cheap pair they may be ok on land, But not on a small boat getting rolled around in normal weather.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    X2 what Kevin said. I bought the Canon stabilized binocs and they were not capable on a boat. They were (and still are) great for hunting and going to play tourist anywhere your feet are on solid ground. It is being on that bouncy boat that screws up binocs. The Navy found that overall 7X50 were the most useful, but they were using bigger boats than you have.

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat Name
    23' Center Console
    Buy once cry once. Get the Fujinon Stabiscope 1240. I can see birds from 1.5nm away. I can easily make out the name of a party boat and watch the deck hand brailing bait from the bait tank from 2nm away. All while i'm idle rocking away on my boat.

Honestly, I wouldn't even get the FMTR Fujinons. Great glass but not worth it on a boat. Just me though.