ty-y-ler

Apr 24, 2018
Torrance, CA
ty-y-ler.tumblr.com
Name
Tyler
Boat
One Day
Me and a buddy just picked up our first boat, a 15' Key West with a suzuki 55hp. We've been having nothing but issues with the current battery even after fully charging it. We've gotta run a trolling motor, FF/GPS, VHF, stereo, livewell, and nav lights.
So my question, in this situation is it better to have a dedicated starting battery and deep cycle battery or would a dual purpose battery be okay since space is limited? And if option 1 is the case, what size starting battery is recommended? Thanks

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
More would be better,i don't know what your motor requires.I think the trolling motor battery would be the more important of the two.

Upvote 0

ty-y-ler

Apr 24, 2018
Torrance, CA
ty-y-ler.tumblr.com
Name
Tyler
Boat
One Day
More would be better,i don't know what your motor requires.I think the trolling motor battery would be the more important of the two.

Yeah there’s plenty of info here on BD about deep cycle batteries. Just wasn’t sure how that info could apply for my current situation and all of this is pretty new to me so my brain is pretty overwhelmed with info right now haha.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2019
San Clemente
Name
Jon
Boat
Robalo R180
My boat came with just a starting battery for everything. A friend helped me put in the Blue Seas Add-A-Battery setup. Several youtubes show how it's done. Switch and relay are only about $100 at West Marine or less on Amazon but you need a lot more parts to make it all work.

I didn't cheap out on this and used two new Lifetime AGM batteries as well as all Blue Seas fuses and circuit breakers, Ancor marine grade cables and wiring, marine grade heat shrink connectors, etc. Parts were a few hundred and batteries $300 apiece. But saved what had been quoted as $1000 labor on the install. Tight compartment and no previous experience made it take two Saturdays to build but it's been solid and I'm really happy with the results.

This was the video I started with that convinced me I could do it myself:

Good luck and Tight Lines!

Reactions: ty-y-ler
Upvote 0

ty-y-ler

Apr 24, 2018
Torrance, CA
ty-y-ler.tumblr.com
Name
Tyler
Boat
One Day
My boat came with just a starting battery for everything. A friend helped me put in the Blue Seas Add-A-Battery setup. Several youtubes show how it's done. Switch and relay are only about $100 at West Marine or less on Amazon but you need a lot more parts to make it all work.

I didn't cheap out on this and used two new Lifetime AGM batteries as well as all Blue Seas fuses and circuit breakers, Ancor marine grade cables and wiring, marine grade heat shrink connectors, etc. Parts were a few hundred and batteries $300 apiece. But saved what had been quoted as $1000 labor on the install. Tight compartment and no previous experience made it take two Saturdays to build but it's been solid and I'm really happy with the results.

This was the video I started with that convinced me I could do it myself:

Good luck and Tight Lines!

Thanks I’ll check it out!

Upvote 0