Patmidd

Feb 10, 2021
Sausalito
Name
Patrick
Boat
14’ gregor
Hi,

I'm gradually building out my 14 foot Gregor for fishing and duck hunting on San Francisco Bay. I could really use some help figuring out what I need to buy for the electrical system.

There is currently no electrical system installed. I'm running a trolling motor off a 12v battery. The battery is independent of the old two-stroke engine I have, so I charge it separately.

I'm looking to add switches and wiring for the following items:

- trolling motor
- nav lights
- fish finder/GPS
- headlights/light bar
- spotlight
- (extra)

In addition, I was planning to hardwire a bilge pump into the rear.

Based on what I've read online, I think I need the following electrical items:
- battery switches
- electrical switches/circuit breakers
- bus block
- conduit to run wire
- marine grade wire

Do I have the right shopping list for this? What brands are preferred for this type of application? Does anyone have strong feelings about where to mount the switches?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: pacificscout

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
As much as I am a fan of supporting local business, Amazon is hands down the cheapest and easiest place to get your supplies. Go blue seas for fuse bus, switch panel, and perko for your battery switch. Your basic marine grade wire will suffice for your project. If you’re using fuses you don’t need to go circuit breakers.

Patmidd

Feb 10, 2021
Sausalito
Name
Patrick
Boat
14’ gregor
As much as I am a fan of supporting local business, Amazon is hands down the cheapest and easiest place to get your supplies. Go blue seas for fuse bus, switch panel, and perko for your battery switch. Your basic marine grade wire will suffice for your project. If you’re using fuses you don’t need to go circuit breakers.
Thanks for the help and advice.

I'll track what I'm buying here:

- battery switch- Perko single battery switch
- electrical switches- Blue Seas WeatherDeck Waterproof 8 Switch Panel
- bus block- Blue Seas 12 circuit with negative bus
- conduit to run wire - generic
- marine grade wire - generic
- fuses- generic

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    This is what i did. Battery is in center seat . Switches are in rear seat. I used 3/4 pvc to run wire were needed. Bildge pump ran out of boat with pvc with float switch.

16182647096786514426636461228416.jpg

16182647986489064106994234893029.jpg

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    Not sure why other pic didnt show but here they are

16182652141789138247161924463843.jpg

16182652735134291534721021235801.jpg

Mar 11, 2006
    san diego
    Name
    curt ljungquist
    Boat
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    For a little more money the Blue Seas Weather Deck Switch Panel also comes fused. Just installed one in my tin can. Also the Blue Seas battery switch is much smaller than the Perko.

tuna sniffer

SD '63
    Jun 16, 2005
    La Mesa
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    1 tin 1 glass
    For a little more money the Blue Seas Weather Deck Switch Panel also comes fused. Just installed one in my tin can. Also the Blue Seas battery switch is much smaller than the Perko.
    I agree. Go with the fused panel. You can always add a second small fuse block for constant on accessories, etc. You will end up with a cleaner layout. All grounds can go to a buss bar.

Patmidd

Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

I ordered the following:
    Blue Seas WeatherDeck Circuit Breaker Panel
    Blue Seas Busbar
    Blue Seas Single Circuit Battery Switch

I still need to purchase conduit, marine wire, and basic electrical supplies to start the project, but I'll hold off on that until the main stuff arrives. I also need to purchase nav lights, headlights, and a bilge pump.

A photo of the boat as it currently looks is below. I'm trying to get the salt and mud from duck season off of it so I can put another layer of paint on it. I'll update here as I get this done.

14 Gregor.jpg

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    This is what I used . I mounted to a piece L ANGLE

16183479114604470366938848934335.jpg

16183479222598056236293082093630.jpg

1618347944878123513925221311506.jpg

Mar 11, 2006
    san diego
    Name
    curt ljungquist
    Boat
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    There are a lot of ways to set up your rig. It’s all about what you need and want to do. I needed everything close at hand and semi water proof for beach launches.

792424FF-E037-43C3-8774-CAA5C6558B03.jpeg

Patmidd

Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    I like the setup. I'm going to go a little lower profile as this boat is used for hunting as well as fishing.I appreciate the need to have everything at hand. My primary deckhand is 80 years old. He can't do a whole lot to help out.

What did you use for the the switch panel cover? That looks like a great solution.

I'd love to have a 25hp motor! I've got 10 on now. It gets me around fine, but 25 would be great for blasting across the bay a bit quicker!
    There are a lot of ways to set up your rig. It’s all about what you need and want to do. I needed everything close at hand and semi water proof for beach launches.

View attachment 1271870

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    I've done everything you're looking to do and am happy to help where you need it. I rigged this for saltwater fishing in SoCal but the boat is now fished and hunted in the delta and SF bay.
    IMG_4042.jpg

Bilge pump is kind of hidden, but it is screwed into the channel on the other side of the transom support, floats a bit off the bottom of the hull but is less likely to suck up debris that the open bilge areas seem to collect, especially when you get back in the boat with muddy waders.
    IMG_4043.jpg

This group 24 runs my lights, stereo, fish finder and bait/bilge pumps. It lives on a trickle charger but I've never had it run low even after a full day of everything running.
    IMG_4045.jpg

The Blue Seas on/off switch controls this panel, which controls my running lights, bilge, bait pump, and then the LED strip lights you see on the middle bench. The negatives all run to a bus bar underneath which then run on a single line back to the battery. I encase all of the wires in plastic wrap and then have added tap to the sections that run through the bench, since the sheet metal edges are very sharp. The channels in the side sides of the boat are your friend for running the wiring.
    IMG_4046.jpg
    IMG_4047.jpg
    IMG_4049.jpg

Group 27 battery up front runs the TM.
    IMG_4050.jpg
    Bow light mounted on the front plate with the wires running through 1/4" PVC that I painted grey and glued into the channel along the starboard side. No exposed wires anywhere. Happy to send more detailed pics if you need anything else. I rigged the bait tank and trolling motor to be removable so in hunting season, they're pulled out and a camp net gets thrown over it. I'm going to build a boat blind for this coming duck season as I feel like most of the commercially available ones are too expensive or poorly designed. Good luck with your project! These boats are awesome.

Mar 11, 2006
    san diego
    Name
    curt ljungquist
    Boat
    22 sea cat/16 klamath
    I like the setup. I'm going to go a little lower profile as this boat is used for hunting as well as fishing.I appreciate the need to have everything at hand. My primary deckhand is 80 years old. He can't do a whole lot to help out.

What did you use for the the switch panel cover? That looks like a great solution.

I'd love to have a 25hp motor! I've got 10 on now. It gets me around fine, but 25 would be great for blasting across the bay a bit quicker!
    It is an old irrigation timer box that I gutted.

downtime

Sep 12, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Ronson
    Boat
    26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
    You can see my switchs and fuses in the right side back of the boat. They are the waterproof switches. Been working for 3 years now. Use dielectric grease!
    1618546841542.jpeg

Patmidd

Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    I've done everything you're looking to do and am happy to help where you need it. I rigged this for saltwater fishing in SoCal but the boat is now fished and hunted in the delta and SF bay. View attachment 1271896
    Bilge pump is kind of hidden, but it is screwed into the channel on the other side of the transom support, floats a bit off the bottom of the hull but is less likely to suck up debris that the open bilge areas seem to collect, especially when you get back in the boat with muddy waders.
    View attachment 1271897
    This group 24 runs my lights, stereo, fish finder and bait/bilge pumps. It lives on a trickle charger but I've never had it run low even after a full day of everything running.
    View attachment 1271898
    The Blue Seas on/off switch controls this panel, which controls my running lights, bilge, bait pump, and then the LED strip lights you see on the middle bench. The negatives all run to a bus bar underneath which then run on a single line back to the battery. I encase all of the wires in plastic wrap and then have added tap to the sections that run through the bench, since the sheet metal edges are very sharp. The channels in the side sides of the boat are your friend for running the wiring.
    View attachment 1271899View attachment 1271900View attachment 1271901
    Group 27 battery up front runs the TM.
    View attachment 1271902Bow light mounted on the front plate with the wires running through 1/4" PVC that I painted grey and glued into the channel along the starboard side. No exposed wires anywhere. Happy to send more detailed pics if you need anything else. I rigged the bait tank and trolling motor to be removable so in hunting season, they're pulled out and a camp net gets thrown over it. I'm going to build a boat blind for this coming duck season as I feel like most of the commercially available ones are too expensive or poorly designed. Good luck with your project! These boats are awesome.
    Thanks, this is all super useful information. I looked through the photos of your entire build, it looks great. I’ll be incorporating a bunch of your ideas into this boat over time. I’m skipping the built in bait tank for now. I’ve got enough going on with two people plus gear in the boat as it is. What thickness plywood did you use for the floor? I’ll be adding those in shortly.
    The duck blind build is a later project for this year. I need to get through summer fishing first.

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    Thanks, this is all super useful information. I looked through the photos of your entire build, it looks great. I’ll be incorporating a bunch of your ideas into this boat over time. I’m skipping the built in bait tank for now. I’ve got enough going on with two people plus gear in the boat as it is. What thickness plywood did you use for the floor? I’ll be adding those in shortly.
    The duck blind build is a later project for this year. I need to get through summer fishing first.

3/4" in the "back" floor since it's not really supported, everything else is 1/2". I did make that rear floor removable so you can easily blast the mud out after hunting. You can see how badly it stained the seadek so I'm going to make a separate floor for hunting that will just be painted with maybe some skateboard grip tape for traction. Boat has changed a lot since that thread (mainly removing the built in bait tank, it's now strapped in to two different places depending on if I have someone with me or I'm solo) so happy to answer more questions as they arise.

Patmidd

Feb 10, 2021
    Sausalito
    Name
    Patrick
    Boat
    14’ gregor
    3/4" in the "back" floor since it's not really supported, everything else is 1/2". I did make that rear floor removable so you can easily blast the mud out after hunting. You can see how badly it stained the seadek so I'm going to make a separate floor for hunting that will just be painted with maybe some skateboard grip tape for traction. Boat has changed a lot since that thread (mainly removing the built in bait tank, it's now strapped in to two different places depending on if I have someone with me or I'm solo) so happy to answer more questions as they arise.
    Thanks. I'm not convinced I want a floor in the back at all. It got really filled with mud/grass during duck season this year. I repainted the interior yesterday with non-skid deck paint including that area. I may just leave it at that. Did you use anything to pad the other deck pieces? I'm concerned about rattling and damage especially as I use this boat a lot on the west side of the bay where things can get rough quickly.

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    No, but if I were to go back and do it again, I would put scraps of seadek between the hull and the bracing for my front floor. Right now the wood sits directly on the aluminum and I had a crack at one of those points. I used to launch out of San Pedro and the wind waves coming back to the ramp would stack up like they do on the bay up here. I took some huge slaps and one of those must have done it. No idea if any padding would have prevented that but my floor being so rigid eliminated a lot of the natural flex of the aluminum. I don't experience any rattling though; use nylocks on all of your bolts and nothing will come loose.