Roadrunner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
EDIT JUNE 1st - figured it out and got the part off. will post pics.

Removed the shift button and got down to the part that is supposed to slide off the 2 metal pins whose tops are showing in the picture below. Anyone have any tips on getting them to come off ? Could not find online help (Alan Tani, etc )

Currently soaking with liquid wrench. tried pipe wrench with tape to protect part but it did not budge. Can not just twist as twisting is the mechanism that pops it out of gear.

Have more than a few fathoms I would like to swap out handles. Thought it should be easier than this. Appreciate all help. Thanks

IMG_2577.jpg

Last edited:

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
nice try....i’m lazy and just let my tackle shop do the job even for a simple knob change...unless i’m wanting to challenge my self....goodluck and you will hear some great info soon...

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Ha-Ha, don't get me started about when the City of Philadelphia Health Dept. is going to let the PENN Service Dept. get back to work.
It was just pushed back again to "maybe" June 8.
Nonetheless, Tony answered his e-mail today [Sunday].

Typically there is grease under the catch holder and it acts as a suction. To get it off i use needle nose pliers, use one side in the middle of the part and the other to grab from the outside. If the part got damaged when removing the knurled nut it may just need to be broken off and parts replaced.

Tony DuBeck
PENN Fishing Tackle

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
Thanks Steve for the help. Got it off with dental tool. Still got 6 more Fathoms to finish after this one.

I did try adjustable wrench with tape on the teeth but it still was leaving damage but I gripped it from one outer edge to the other. I like Tony's needle nose tip pulling using the center hole

I let it soak for a day (liquid wrench ) while I went gem hunting in the mountains. Got the part off last night. Here are some photos to help others.

C shaped dental tool allowed me to get under the part and put upward pressure under the part( sittting on the handle to the right - can see the 2 posts it came off of to the left ).
0.jpg

Next photo shows the part still on with the dental tool inside the hole with me pulling up. By twisting the piece slightly, the 2 speed release plate inside the hole would retract making it easier for me. Just worked it around a bit as you must keep part level as it slides up the 2 metal posts.
0-2.jpg

Question for you Steve. After a Penn University trip, how far down do you do cleaning/lubing of the loaner reels ?
Do you just take off side plate and remove spool and clean what is exposed or do you start removing the moving parts (clickers, gears. dogs, 2 speed button) ?

Just curious as on a trip, I see how much your setups get used and exposed to the elements. June is here. Thanks Steve

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Question for you Steve. After a Penn University trip, how far down do you do cleaning/lubing of the loaner reels ?
Do you just take off side plate and remove spool and clean what is exposed or do you start removing the moving parts (clickers, gears. dogs, 2 speed button) ?

Just curious as on a trip, I see how much your setups get used and exposed to the elements. June is here. Thanks Steve

John,
I actually don't do a breakdown after trips. I think you have seen that I do a fairly thorough wipedown on the boat with the Penn Reel Cleaner just to get everything put away so I can get home.
When I get home, I give the reels a light spray of warm fresh water, then spritz thoroughly with Salt-Away. Let that site for maybe a minute, but don't let it dry.
Rinse the Salt-Away off with a light spray of warm fresh water, then let the reel dry for about an hour or two.
Again do a thorough wipedown with the Penn Reel Cleaner.
Leave the reel out and let it air dry for at least 3 days, giving the handle a few cranks every day during the drying period.
Takes longer to describe than it does to do it, but I lay out a little "assembly line" so its pretty simple.
The combination of Salt-Away and Penn Reel Cleaner is pretty effective for me.

Delorian686

You'll want me around when the zombies come
Dec 6, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Chris
Boat
NA
@tunanorth do you use the light duty Salt Away or the professional strength that is diluted that you then rinse. I already use the Penn Cleaner.

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
Thanks Steve for the cleanup rundown. Have all the supplies you were talking of to do the post trip routine. I have gotten so many reels along the way that I wanted them to all be on the same maintenance schedule and do a better job of upkeep. Some really need the deeper cleaning and some I am just learning more about reels.

So I like the plan of your method during spring to Fall trips and then a little deeper cleaning during the winter. Got an email from Mike about my upcoming 7 day trip. Sad thing is he was asking who would still be going as some are backing out and he needs a certain amount of people to make the trip a go.

Wish I could use your trip as a back up plan if there were openings but you leave on the last day of the school year. Are you seeing cancellations ? Hope we all are a go.
We will know more at the end of the day tomorrow as the powers to be meet then

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
@tunanorth do you use the light duty Salt Away or the professional strength that is diluted that you then rinse. I already use the Penn Cleaner.

Yes, I get the "concentrate", and can dilute it. Usually about 5-1 with water, but I really just go by how dark it is [about the same as Windex, maybe a bit darker].

Reactions: Delorian686

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Thanks Steve for the cleanup rundown. Have all the supplies you were talking of to do the post trip routine. I have gotten so many reels along the way that I wanted them to all be on the same maintenance schedule and do a better job of upkeep. Some really need the deeper cleaning and some I am just learning more about reels.

So I like the plan of your method during spring to Fall trips and then a little deeper cleaning during the winter. Got an email from Mike about my upcoming 7 day trip. Sad thing is he was asking who would still be going as some are backing out and he needs a certain amount of people to make the trip a go.

Wish I could use your trip as a back up plan if there were openings but you leave on the last day of the school year. Are you seeing cancellations ? Hope we all are a go.
We will know more at the end of the day tomorrow as the powers to be meet then

Mike is so great, I hate the thought of how hard all of this is on him.
He keeps track of the reservations on my trip, but I am sure he would put you on the "wait list".