PENN

john e.

Aug 26, 2012
alta loma
Name
john
Boat
any
had a great trip on the sea adventure 80 last year(I have a few pics posted in galleries) but all of the boats named are worth a try nobody stays in business very long if they dont get it right. spend a little more and get the lightest load possible worth every penny relax and enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

BluePabst

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 1, 2012
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Name
Phil
Boat
Bertram 30
I know this may not be what you are looking for but look into some of the big boats. They sometimes do fill in with short trips. Shogun, RP and Excel, AA, Polaris Supreme all have been known to do some short trips. I have stopped fishing the crowed boats. I would rather save up the money and go on a real quality boat. Nothing against the boats mentioned and I have fished most of them. the Pac Star with Mike and the old Holiday with Randy were great but the first time I got on the Excel I never went back to the other boats. If you are only going to go on one trip look into a two or three day trip. More money but you get A LOT more time at the rail.

I think this is a great idea and I've always wanted to do this. But those trips fill up so fast. I was looking back in Oct and everything this year was fully (or almost) booked. Hopefully something is still open.

Upvote 0

Tar Pit

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 7, 2006
    Reno NV
    Name
    Friend of Bucko Shaw
    Boat
    None.
    Just to throw my two cents in....

When I fish short trips like that I fish out of Seaforth Landing in Mission Bay. The parking at the big three is a total joke.

Bait tank in the bow.

Heads inside and not up in the bow. You will be traveling at night going out and coming back. That walk up to the bow at 2am sucks.

Kill box/RSW for you fish.

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
    Mar 28, 2013
    Encino, CA
    Name
    Pilav
    Boat
    No Boat
    i have fished the condor, grande, outer limits, and the old glory. From these 4, I enjoyed fishing the most with the guys on the Outer Limits, but that was a 2 day, not a 1.5 day. The condor was a cool boat too, big, spacious, great captain, one of the crewmembers was a bit of a dick at times, but he worked very hard to get us an overall good experience. but it sucked having 37 people onboard. Anything over 30 I refuse to go on, especially when 20 of the fisherman can't follow their line on a drift. The grande is also a nice big boat, the crew on that boat was very pleasent to be with, they were all cool, helpful, and the captain is good(in my opinion at least). And lastly the Old Glory, its a good size boat(85 feet I beleive), extremely customer oriented captain and crew, great boat for a day and a half.

So far, luckily, all the boats I've gone on(and ive gone multiple times on all except Outer limits) are good, just a matter of how your exact experience will be. But I dont think you can go wrong with any of the boats in the fleet, they are all trying to keep us as happy as possible so we keep going back to spend good money on their boats. So ust pick the time frame and go enjoy!

Upvote 0

irukandji

Aug 5, 2011
    OC
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Irukandji
    Pac Queen gets my vote. The boat is very “fishy” and Drew works his ass off to get you on the fish. It’s a big boat and they cap the load @ 30. The Ranger 85 has a funky fish hold that is on deck with freezer bars in it and unless you get a state room well the bunks suck.

Upvote 0

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 21, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Great suggestions....but keep in mind, if u go big you will likely be spoiled for life! Just tellin you!

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    I know this may not be what you are looking for but look into some of the big boats. They sometimes do fill in with short trips. Shogun, RP and Excel, AA, Polaris Supreme all have been known to do some short trips. I have stopped fishing the crowed boats. I would rather save up the money and go on a real quality boat. Nothing against the boats mentioned and I have fished most of them. the Pac Star with Mike and the old Holiday with Randy were great but the first time I got on the Excel I never went back to the other boats. If you are only going to go on one trip look into a two or three day trip. More money but you get A LOT more time at the rail.
    X2 only doing 1 trip go multi day you'll be happier

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
    Jun 1, 2006
    Lakeside
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    sold! / cattle boat
    I fish the NLA. Captain Markus is the best fisherman I have ever met. I am sure the other boats are really good too, but if I can't get on the NLA (or First String) I don't go.

Hell, when conditions are right, he will deploy the kite. Not too many other 1 to 2 day boats that do that!

Another tip....listen to what he says on the PA. Often times after an initial round of stupid fish get caught during a stop, he will come on the PA and say that there are still fish around the boat, and that if you drop down to 20# flouro with a small Mustad, that you could probably get a bite. I see most people just stand there at the rail. Don't make that mistake. Do as he suggests and watch your count for the day improve. What I always ask myself is "why didn't I think of that before he suggested it". On the other hand, when he suggest to fish nothing less than 40....do it.

Yup, what she said...

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/new-lo-an-2day-report-aug-16-18th-drew-ford-charter.510416/

Upvote 0

AZTunaBaron

Aug 11, 2010
    Phx,AZ for the time being
    Name
    Baron was my dog
    Boat
    Someday
    Like Tar Pit said, the f'n parking at the big 3 is an enormous joke. Seaforth is the first place I always look. I don't always get to go out from there, but every time I do the trip starts off so much more pleasant.

As far as boats, any on the list you gave will do, all good ones (been on 'em all).

Good luck.

Upvote 0