Need help on what Optima battery to get!!

Adam helbert

Nov 27, 2016
Corona
Name
Adam Helbert
Boat
Buying soon
Hey guys I got a 14 foot aluminum that I got a trolling motor for and I need a battery to power to motor lights bait pump and fish finder. I've heard nothing but good things about Optima batteries and want to go with that but not sure what to get? Also where should the battery be in the boat? Can it be in the back of the boat next to gas tank or is that big no no? Might be stupid question but it's my first boat so I'm still learning g . Thanks guys!!

skipjack

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
My buddy used to own a battery shop.
He said he had more warranty problems with Optima batteries than any other brand.
"Optimus are great for airplanes because they don't leak,but nothing else."

Reactions: tuner and plj46

Eatmorfish

Livin' on borrowed time
Sep 16, 2015
Upland, CA
Name
John
Boat
2018 234 Mako CC
Costco has an Interstate 27DC deep cycle Marine/RV 12V battery for $87.99. Should run your trolling motor all day. Use the 1/4" lugs to attach your cables, (not the alligator clips) that way they cannot arc, and you can set the battery near your gas tank.

Last edited:

Postal719

Jul 7, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
23' Polar Walkaround
Optima used to be the best but sold out several years ago and are now made in Mexico. They no longer have the same reputation. I'd look for a USA made agm marine battery.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
As far as battery placement goes,try NOT to put it the back of the boat.

Reactions: Adam helbert

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
14' Aluminum....is the trolling motor your only motor?

Is it bow or stern mount?

Costco dual purpose lead acid batteries have been great for me.

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
I picked up two Group 31 AGM marine batteries from Sam's for about $90 each at the Town Center in Long Beach (605 fwy. at Carson). Working fine on my 25' Parker....Like the man said, keep your receipts...all batteries can fail short of their warrenty dates, often due to owner negligence re: keeping them fully charged with a trickle charger...Sam's asks no questions...easy trade in...

Last edited:

Adam helbert

Nov 27, 2016
Corona
Name
Adam Helbert
Boat
Buying soon
14' Aluminum....is the trolling motor your only motor?

Is it bow or stern mount?

Costco dual purpose lead acid batteries have been great for me.
The trolling motor is the spare motor basically. The boat has an 18hp Nissan marine on it that runs really good.

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Adam you are getting lots of silly advice without any real answers. Since this is a trolling motor figure out how many hours you will need to use it before recharging it. You definitely need a deep cycle battery? Here are a few stats for a Minn Kota 55.
TIME:
Important Note: As you likely won't be running your trolling motor perpetually, the actual amount of on-the-water time a motor should allow will be substantially longer than times listed. Actual motor run time can vary depending on conditions (winds, waves, etc) and the type of battery used. Listed below are run-time estimates assuming a 100 amp hour rated battery. To learn more, please see our article on calculating motor run time.

• 20+ Hours: At slow, trolling speeds that draw 5 amps or less
  • 4.8 Hours: Approx. run time with throttle 50% open
  • 2.4 Hours: Approx. run time with the motor at full throttle
Pick a 100 ah deep cycle marine battery from a store that is liberal with returns and warranty. Costco, Auto Zone, West Marine with purchased warranty have all been good to me. Suggest that you decide the source for a 100 ah battery. Feel free to PM me.

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Adam you are getting lots of silly advice without any real answers. Since this is a trolling motor figure out how many hours you will need to use it before recharging it. You definitely need a deep cycle battery? Here are a few stats for a Minn Kota 55.
TIME:
Important Note: As you likely won't be running your trolling motor perpetually, the actual amount of on-the-water time a motor should allow will be substantially longer than times listed. Actual motor run time can vary depending on conditions (winds, waves, etc) and the type of battery used. Listed below are run-time estimates assuming a 100 amp hour rated battery. To learn more, please see our article on calculating motor run time.

• 20+ Hours: At slow, trolling speeds that draw 5 amps or less
  • 4.8 Hours: Approx. run time with throttle 50% open
  • 2.4 Hours: Approx. run time with the motor at full throttle
Pick a 100 ah deep cycle marine battery from a store that is liberal with returns and warranty. Costco, Auto Zone, West Marine with purchased warranty have all been good to me. Suggest that you decide the source for a 100 ah battery. Feel free to PM me.
Great post Bill!

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
I have been getting good marine deep cycle batteries at wal mart. They are made by Johnson controls. Also, get a good plug in simple battery charger from Home Depot. Keep the battery charging when not in use, and never leave it uncharged. The key here is put the battery in a box, near the middle of the boat. Connect it well with nuts and clean wires and keep it charged.

Reactions: Adam helbert

Postal719

Jul 7, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
23' Polar Walkaround
I have been getting good marine deep cycle batteries at wal mart. They are made by Johnson controls. Also, get a good plug in simple battery charger from Home Depot. Keep the battery charging when not in use, and never leave it uncharged. The key here is put the battery in a box, near the middle of the boat. Connect it well with nuts and clean wires and keep it charged.
For what it is worth, Jonson Controls is the stupid company that bought and ruined Optima batteries.

Reactions: dorado50

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
I’ve had no problems with their batteries.

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
Run two batteries if possible. Size one for the outboard engine requirements and the second should be a 100AH or larger deep cycle.

Your fish finder and trolling motor should not be connected to the same battery. The electric motor will produce interference and cause problems.

El Chiva

May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
I’ve got two group 27 Napa marine marine/rv batts you can have for free if you want to pick them up.

They ran my Parker fine...I swapped them out for 31agm batts.....but the Napa batts worked fine for me.

Pm me if interested

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
Mar 11, 2007
Carlsbad
Name
Jim
Boat
FV Soldandgone
if your outboard has connection to recharge your batt, then i would connect it to batt so it recharges as you go. if not, you will need recharger to recharge batt each trip. i agree buy at costco (if you have membership) - optima waste of money. follow advice re: deep cycle if u are gonna run trolling motor for extended periods. personally, i think elect trolling motors are useless in most saltwater environments b/c of wind/current. if you've never tried it, you may want to try fishing w/ just your outboard and drifting/anchoring before investing in battery to run motor. in any case, place in your batt near the trolling motor so the cables will reach, or buy the appropriate gauge marine (tinned) wire and secure it to your boat with fasteners. ok to put in near fuel tanks, but fuel tanks should not leak and batt should not spark. keep in mind batt has some wt and you will need to account for that when balancing fore/aft and port/stbd. secure batt to deck or bilge some how so it doesn't slide all over. cover the batt terminals in thin layer of dielectric grease and try to cover batt from salt spray. you may need trip to westmarine or similar store for stuff beside batt and more advice. WM usually has spring sale on batteries, and if you time it right their sale price is about = costco. if that doesn't make sense, try to find someone who has similar setup and look at how theirs is rigged. gud luck w/ it!

Postal719

Jul 7, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
23' Polar Walkaround
I’ve had no problems with their batteries.
Rodger. No disrespect. I have a bit of heart burn over the optima ordeal. I grew up driving off road and optima was a no brainer. When they sold, outsourced and the quality went down, it was very disappointing. Based on my heart burn, I banned the company! I apparently hold a mean grudge!

Reactions: Zika

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
Rodger. No disrespect. I have a bit of heart burn over the optima ordeal. I grew up driving off road and optima was a no brainer. When they sold, outsourced and the quality went down, it was very disappointing. Based on my heart burn, I banned the company! I apparently hold a mean grudge!
I have an auto repair shop,and see plenty of bad Optima batteries...mostly purchased by people who have no real idea why they are running an Optima,other than someone told them it was da chit.Interstate have been a bummer also,and about 5 years ago I started stocking DEKA batteries,and they seem to do just fine.

Reactions: plj46

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
There are pretty much 3 companies that make batteries now....None of them is trying to produce an incredible product, they are all trying to increase profits. You can find horror stories for every maker....I just had my AGM from sams fail completely. There are some AGMs that are really good....but for $400 a battery...they better be. Walmart's have a 2 yr warranty on some o them...whatever you do KEEP the original receipt.

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
That is true for all batteries. Lead acid is old tech and everything will change soon. Get some deep cycles, keep them filled, charged and use them! Keep the receipt. I do suggest two batteries. Smaller 24 size are just fine for a small boat.