need help on the west coast

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by ror_sal, Aug 23, 2017.

1. ror_sal

ror_sal "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

Name:
    Rory
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    so my uncle needs me to wrap a ton of rods for him to give to his brother in laws for christmas. Im a die hard fisherman but live in san diego where we do things a little different. He needs 7 trout rods for fishing the rivers, so those I'm assuming a 7' 2-6# rod wrapped for spinning gear, or something like that model. He also needs a rod for surf fishing, and rod for striper fishing in the bay. ( he lives in maryland ). these ones I'm kinda clueless to. If i had to go off what I've researched and learned from social media, surf fishing is targeting stripers and blue fish? so maybe a 7-8' spinning rod rated 10-25#? And the bay, maybe around the same thing? I know I'm not going to nail the thing on the head, and as a fisherman myself, i know if i got any rod in the mail, Id be stoked and find use for it somewhere. Any input would be awesome. We fish 99.9% conventional gear here in the saltwater so thats why its hard to figure out the spinning gear stuff haha. Thanks Eastside!! Tight lines

2. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    In my experience, the surf rod has to be at least 8' long because he will need to cast out past the waves. I have one Shimano surf rod and yes, it's 8 feet.

3. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    Rory...I've spent some time on Cape Cod and have observed the small enclaves of surf fisherman. Your assumption about them targeting blues and stripers is correct. 9-10 ft spinning rods are the norm...if shipping is a problem make it a 2-piece.

ror_sal likes this.
  4. Papa "J"

Papa "J" I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I have a bunch of GUSA Surf Assassin blanks if interested. pm me.

5. ror_sal

Name:
    Rory
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    kinda what i figured. Wasn't sure if the ultra light surf fishing was out there too. I use a 7' 2-8# rod out here.

Shewillbemine likes this.
  6. Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine "should of" is NOT a thing

Name:
    Shewillbemine
    Boat:
    Chips N Guac
    Ultra Light works but you need extremely favorable conditions. With the frequency and strength of our waves on most beaches, the really light stuff gets dragged around and beat up by kelp.

7. ror_sal

Name:
    Rory
    Boat:
    fish and chicks
    yes, aware of it here, i fish the beach here often, just wondering whats up on the east coast