Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
So the happy happy joy joy is that after 2-3 months of searching and several near misses I finally bought a sled :) It's an '89 Grady White Offshore 240 W/A with a 2003 Yammie F225. It's not pretty and a little ghetto but I'm happy with it, a few weekends of elbow grease and it will be fine. The problem is all my plans to get it have gone South, it's in a slip at Dana Point. There is a trailer but it has no brakes. Estimated weight of this thing is ~6500lbs and I have a Jeep Cherokee 4.7 HO V8, it's at the cusp of my pulling capacity but there is no way I could stop it. I have a slip in the South Bay and plan to keep the boat in the water so towing was never a big concern, if I get trailer brakes I'll be fine. What I wanted to do was tow it from Dana to Sea Witch (~35 miles) and have the motor serviced. I had plans for this but they crashed, so here's where I'm at;

Option 1: Rent a truck and tow it myself. It's already too late today but I will look into that tomorrow. I'm not thrilled about doing this solo but will man up if I have to.

Option 2: Find a BD'er with a big truck who just loves to tow boats and offer him cash, fishing trips or whatever it takes.

Option 3: Forget Sea Witch and MOTOR the boat down and put it in the slip, deal with motor service later. I'd have to go back for the trailer. For this I'd need a ride back to Dana to my Jeep and trailer or a ride up there in the morning, then go back with the Jeep. As above, I'm not thrilled about going it solo. I'm pretty salty and if I knew the boat I'd be all over it but it's brand new to me, I have Vessel Assist but who wants to go through all that?

If the boat is going to Sea Witch it has to happen on Saturday. If I motor it back I have Sat or Sun assuming this glorious weather holds (checking on that right after this post).

If you can 1) tow the boat from Dana to Sea Witch, 2) give me a ride to Dana maybe Sunday morning, or 3) go for a boat ride with me please let me know. I have money, beer and/ or fishing trips to offer :)

Thanks so much for any help or good ideas !

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
As "Captain" of a boat... Get used to doing it ALL by yourself.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
If it's running fairly well, I'd say try to run it around the harbor a bit and work out some kinks. Maybe run some stabil, check lines, etc. I'd drive you up there on my way North but my car will already be full.

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
The guys at west coast marine in costa mesa are amazing certified yamaha mechanics and sponsors here on BD.

I am running there today and can offer some assistance getting your vessel there. I live in San Clemente so meeting you at dana ramp very easy.

Call me (310) 403-8205 cell.

Shad

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Definitely utilize the guys at West Coast through Shad if you can. All those guys helped me out quite a bit with a boat I bought up there as well

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Thanks all for the remarks and PM's. I found a truck at U-Haul in Oceanside, 15' box with a 10Klb rated capacity. That outta do it :) It wasn't easy, waiting to the last minute is NOT the way to go.

Upvote 0