IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
Aug 7, 2007
Huntington Beach CA
Name
Jimmy
Boat
Boston whaler 19
Ok I'm trying to trouble shoot this problem. I have a 2007 Mercury 4 stroke that has been stalling out when I go from in gear to neutral, the motor is running fine it just stalls when you go from gear to neutral. Any thoughts.

Thanks
Jimmy

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    does this model switch to two cylinders when at idle or low rpm?

Upvote 0

the doctor

BEEN AROUND
    Jun 13, 2006
    encinitas ca.
    Name
    The Doctor
    Boat
    SeaFox
    I have the same exact problem 2002E 90hp 4st with carbs. Runs fine all day. Idles for ever in gear or not. But when I shift from low speed forward to neutral it stalls. New plugs ect. Run quikcleen. Any ideas

Upvote 0

Pirate

HERETIC
    Sep 15, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Asshole
    Boat
    Partially floating
    check the idle air control valve (IAC), my 04 115 merc did the same thing, this is actually not all that uncommon.

Upvote 0

IM2MONEY

Almost A Member
    Aug 7, 2007
    Huntington Beach CA
    Name
    Jimmy
    Boat
    Boston whaler 19
    I think it's fixed it was the (IAC) they cleaned and good to go. I was thinking I should of had it replaced. Pirate do you know if it is possible to replace with out taking to shop. Or is there a lot of work involved.

Upvote 0

Pirate

HERETIC
    Sep 15, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Asshole
    Boat
    Partially floating
    I think it's fixed it was the (IAC) they cleaned and good to go. I was thinking I should of had it replaced. Pirate do you know if it is possible to replace with out taking to shop. Or is there a lot of work involved.

It's very easy, at least on mine it was, maybe 20 -30 minutes to remove, clean, and replace. They are expensive however, and when the problem resurfaced, i just cleaned it again. Use berryman's or some other carb cleaner and you should be good to go. I am certain you can find a schematic online if you don't have the shop manual.

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
    Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat
    No Name........
    The "Stumble Switch" is an "Ignition Interrupt" switch that momentarily relieves the load on the drive train while you are engaging the drive system into and out of gear..... they go bad or sometimes need adjustment

Upvote 0