Need help matching rods and reels- Starting my Long Range Adventure

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    I am starting to salt water fish again and know just enough to get myself in trouble. Been fly fishing and hunting for the last couple decades and only really been out of SD on a 3 day in 2003 (limits on Albacore) and a 2 1/2 day in May 2021. (2-60lb BFT).
    I have a 3 day scheduled in May of 22 and a 10 day late Sep/Oct of 22 on the Excel.

Never seen or fished for Wahoo or YFT.
    I’m interested in going on a 16 day also.

I need some help figuring out the best rod to reel with what I have and any holes that should be filled in rigs. I am not opposed to changing out or adding rods or reels that are not matched well for the target fish.

I am looking for a good match and identifying what fish and size that rig would be good for.
    Thanks

Rods-
    UC 7’6” Viper (60-130lb)
    UC 7’6” Centaur (60-100lb)
    CS GFGR-7470-XXH 7’ (60-120)
    CS GF-7400H 7’6” (30-80)
    CS GF-7400M 7’6” (20-50) *Gone- replacing it with a PHD 760 H as soon as I can find it.
    CS GFGR-700M 7’ (20-50 feels lighter)
    CS GFGR-700ML 7’ (20-40 feels lighter)
    Phenix PHD 760 2H (40-100)
    Phenix PHD 760 XH (30-80)
    Phenix PSW 760 H (20-60) spinning rod

Reels-
    Talica 25 W/100lb braid
    Talica 20 W/80lb braid
    Talica 12 W/65lb braid
    Trinidad 20A W/65lb braid
    Torium 16 W/50 or 65lb braid
    Makaira 30 W/130lb braid
    Makaira 16 W/80lb braid
    Makaira 15 W/65lb braid
    Shamano 8000D Baitrunner

I have been studying this site for a little while and it has been a great source of information.
    Thanks

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Why don’t you give it a try, let us know what you come up with. You know, big reel, big rod. I think I’d start with your Mak 30 and that Viper. Next, easy easy, spinning reel, spinning rod. The rest just flows, bottom up, top down.

Reactions: RichG
    Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    Mak 30 - Viper
    Tac25 - 7470XXH
    Mak 16 - centaur
    Tac 20 - PHD760XXH
    Mak15 - PHD760XH
    Tac12 - 7400H
    Trini 20a - phd760H (wahoo)
    Torium 16 - 700m
    Baitrunner - psw760H

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    Why don’t you give it a try, let us know what you come up with. You know, big reel, big rod. I think I’d start with your Mak 30 and that Viper. Next, easy easy, spinning reel, spinning rod. The rest just flows, bottom up, top down.
    Yes.
    I did have the obvious ends of the spectrum figured. Mak30/Viper, spinning rod to reel.
    I added them because I will want a second spinning rig and maybe splitting them with a better option is the way to go.
    I also struggled with getting the Mak20 to go with another Viper.

The Center of the pack is the big grey area.

The Phenix BDH are fast action and probably good for Wahoo.
    The GF7400 are good for fly lining/casting bait.

I do not have the expertise to know a Great Rig Match. I can definitely put together a “this could get the job done rig”.

There are experts on this site with world class experience instead of me playing fumblelina.

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    Mak 30 - Viper
    Tac25 - 7470XXH
    Mak 16 - centaur
    Tac 20 - PHD760XXH
    Mak15 - PHD760XH
    Tac12 - 7400H
    Torium 16 - 700m
    Baitrunner - psw760H
    Your top three is the way I was working them so far. The Tac25-7470XXH was my first setup from The LongFin that I caught the two BF on. Then I bought the Mak30 and the Viper when I found it in stock(both still new). I bought the Centaur and The Mak16 on the same day to go together.

The two PHD and the two GF7400 are still new.
    I will set them up with your suggestion to see how they feel and take some time to work out the logic behind it.
    Thanks

Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    Mak 30 - Viper
    Tac25 - 7470XXH
    Mak 16 - centaur
    Tac 20 - PHD760XXH
    Mak15 - PHD760XH
    Tac12 - 7400H
    Torium 16 - 700m
    Baitrunner - psw760H
    I like the idea of the Trini 20A on a PHD760H and will put that in the line up of a new rod For Wahoo.

I was thinking of replacing my
    GFGR 700ML
    with UC rod.

What would be a better replacement?
    7’6” Tilefish Jr.

I wouldn’t mind a couple good UC rods to go along with my set of Phenix to fill any 20-50lb needs.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    N/A :(
    I like the idea of the Trini 20A on a PHD760H and will put that in the line up of a new rod For Wahoo.

I was thinking of replacing my
    GFGR 700ML
    with UC rod.

What would be a better replacement?
    7’6” Tilefish Jr.

I wouldn’t mind a couple good UC rods to go along with my set of Phenix to fill any 20-50lb needs.
    What’s your reason for wanting to replace the 700ML? It’s a great 25-30lb rod.

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    What’s your reason for wanting to replace the 700ML? It’s a great 25-30lb rod.
    I was thinking about moving up to a 7’6” rod.
    I am in search of the PHD 760H right now.
    Checked a few shops today. No joy.

I appreciate your help.
    Thanks

Last edited:

Toadpole

Toad
    Aug 7, 2017
    Yreka
    Name
    Jim Todd
    Boat
    State of Jefferson kayak
    700ml is awesome for fishing 25. For me the sweet spot on the 700m is 30 but I have used it for 40 at times.

Reactions: Tsmithson
    Upvote 0

Toadpole

Toad
    Aug 7, 2017
    Yreka
    Name
    Jim Todd
    Boat
    State of Jefferson kayak
    My 700ML is a rod without a reel.
    Any suggestion?
    I’m not really sure about the new stuff. I fish an old Calcutta 700 on mine and it just balanced perfectly for 25. For distance sometimes I put my old Newell 235 on it. It really really chucks small chovies out there. It works so well but I am thinking a more narrow spool would be nice. The important thing is a smooth drag and lightweight frame.

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    I just picked up the Phenix Black Diamond Hybrid PHD 760H 20-60. Sal from Bob Sands said they are only able to back order that one right now. Called around and found one at The LongFin.

Still looking for another UC rod or two for 25-35 lb range and reels to go with them.

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    Last Friday I picked up a Mak 20. Loaded it with 100lb HC and 130lb HC on the last 45 yds with a loop for Wind-On leaders. Probably get one more UC 7’6” Viper for this reel.

I’m still looking for a 25lb fineness reel if things get tough. Trinidad 14? Mak 10? Saltiga?

I‘m chomping at the bit to get bit out of SD right now. Elk hunt and fly fishing in UT are already scheduled for October.

Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I’m still looking for a 25lb fineness reel if things get tough. Trinidad 14? Mak 10? Saltiga?
    You might take a look at the Penn Fathom II or Tourque 15xnld. This is a narrow 15 with 30+ lbs. of drag and plenty of line capacity for 25lb. Depending on how you would end up using it, look at the Penn Fathom 2 star drags too. The Trinadad would probably work well but the Mak 10 is not a finesse reel for light line. It is a tank of a reel for lighter line.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tim Turis

Sep 16, 2004
    Atlanta GA
    Name
    Tim Turis
    Boat
    n/a
    You might take a look at the Penn Fathom II or Tourque 15xn. This is a narrow 15 with 30+ lbs. of drag and plenty of line capacity for 25lb. Depending on how you would end up using it, look at the Penn Fathom 2 star drags too. The Trinadad would probably work well too but the Mak 10 is not a finesse reel for light line. It is a tank of a reel for lighter line.
    The Penn Fathom/Torque 15XNLD2 is an excellent 30# (even 40#) reel.

Steve K
    Steve K
    Replaced my FTH15LD2 with an FTH15XNLD2. A world of difference. 300 meter spool of 40 lb J-Braid filled it perfectly. Can't wait to use it.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ifish42na

No Bad Days
    Oct 23, 2004
    Harrington Park, NJ
    www.bhptackle.com
    Name
    Basil
    Boat
    Friends With Boats
    15XNLD2, that's a sweet reel. If you want to fish hollow line and splice or L2L, 450 yards 40lb Cortland C16. Solid spectra, spooling with the new JB 40lb solid, the 15XNLD2 reel holds 400 yards.

IMG_0240.jpg

T
    Tsmithson
    I am definitely going to check one out.
    thanks
    Upvote 0
    Steve K
    Steve K
    I purchased some 60 lb C-16 Hollow from Basil a few years ago.
    It’s really worth a look. Thin diameter.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    The Penn Fathom/Torque 15XNLD2 is an excellent 30# (even 40#) reel.
    Completely agree, I fish my Torque 15 xnld2 with a 40lb top shot. Great reel for fish to 100lbs maybe a little bigger. If the sharks aren’t around at the Lupe it’s a fun option there because it casts so well

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    Being new to this forum and proper etiquette.
    What is up with the down vote?
    My question and topic are clearly floating in calm waters.
    Does it mean they hate the gear?
    Cannot solve the problem asked?
    My poor grammar?
    Just haters going to hate On Me?

It seems if someone is going to get seasick by my post they would have the courtesy to not crap on the deck but over the rail where we don’t have to see it or smell it.
    OR
    Man up and make a written complaint that all can understand if it is justified or petty.

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    Picked up a Fathom FTH15XNLD today along with a finesse reel (Trinidad 14A).
    If they had the Torque in stock I would of pick that up instead of the Fathom. I figured I couldn’t go wrong on the Fathom for the price. It would also make a great backup or loaner reel.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    Island tackle had a good selection of torque reels the last time I was there.

T
    Tsmithson
    That is where I bought my two reels today. They had it in gold but I need it in silver.
    They have a good stock on the Fathom FTH15XNLD2 right now at $289.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Ha-Ha, that Torque TRQ15XNLD2 will even fish 50-pound topshots for finesse presentations at Guadalupe, if you can handle close calls on line capacity when a bigger unit hits.

RESIZED Steve tuna 3.JPG

Steve K
    Steve K
    Reminds me of an Accurate Pro Staffer fishing an ATD-6 at Clarion…
    Upvote 0

Tsmithson

• Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat
    No
    It appears that I have acquired too much equipment to humbly discuss rod and reel options further in this thread. In an effort to not be verbally berated further, I feel it is a good time to close this thread.

I am so thankful for everyone’s great advice.

Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    It appears that I have acquired too much equipment to humbly discuss rod and reel options further in this thread. In an effort to not be verbally berated further, I feel it is a good time to close this thread.

I am so thankful for everyone’s great advice.

Perhaps a different approach may be in order to "simplify" your task.
    1. Total line capacity. As line weight of top shot increases, so does minimum capacity.
      1. For 30-40, 350-400 yds
      2. For 50-60, 450-500 yds
      3. For 80, 600+ yds
      4. For 100, 700+ yds
    2. Max drag. For each line class, the chosen reel should be able to have the 1/3-rule drag setting with some of headroom for the just-in-case "buttoning down." There‘re bits of complexity to this to not exceed the weakest knot or terminal tackle being fished.
      1. For an engaged reel, the law-of-levers means the drag automatically ramps up as amount of line goes down (i.e., when the radial length from center-of-spool to top-of-line on spool decreases). If full top-of-spool is 3.0 cm and line goes down to 2.0 cm top-of-spool, drag is at least 150% of what it was at 3.0 cm.
      2. The guides and rod blank under load add about 1-2 lbs drag to the reel's drag. This is why some people set the initial drag reel-on-rod pulling on a spring scale 45° from vertical. I personally just set by pulling straight off the reel and dial the drag to 1-2 lbs less than desired max for a star drag. This would be Strike position on a lever drag.
    3. With the above in place, pair the reel with a rod that has the lowest line weight you are fishing in its midrange. Things now become more subjective than objective. Just because the numbers look good on paper doesn't mean it feels right. In your rod lineup you have four rods (2 UC's, 1 CS, and 1 Phenix) that can fish the Mak 16 set up with 80 lb braid to 80 lb top shot. If you swap the top shot down to 60 lb, your rod options drop down to three (1 CS and 2 Phenix's); which one feels right to you?
    So, no, you DON'T have too much gear. What you have is flexibility to adapt as circumstances change. My current long range gear includes a minimum of 8 conventional rods and 6 spin rods with equal number or more reels for fishing 15-100 lb (yeah, a 100 lb spinner rig is in there...however victorious or disastrous that might end up :rolleyes:...either way, I'll get a great fishing story out of it).

On my recent 8-day, had conventional reels set up for 50lb and 60 lb that spent the entire trip below deck in the reel case.

Had the need arose to rotate them in, they were available.

YMMV.

Good luck.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    A reason to refrain from designating a setup just for a specifc fish species can be illustrated with wahoo.
    1. The setup for "high speed" trolling will most likely be ill-suited for the below.
    2. The setup for distance casting and fast retrieval of wired lures will most likely be ill-suited for trolling.
    3. The setup for casting out a wired bait rig may also be ill-suited for trolling, and can be shorter than the rod for casting lures given the gentler "lob" to keep the bait on the hook. A shorter rod also reduces the advantage a fish has over you given the law-of-levers.
    If anything, designating gear based on desired presentation is, IMHO, a more reasonable approach/perspective.

T
    Tsmithson
    I will study your posts until I have a solid understanding of these principles.

WOW!
    Excellent explanations on concepts of long range fishing equipment.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0