Need help from you predator killers

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
Ladera Ranch, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
17' Whaler
I hunt a small area in the CNF where I see tons of yotes and bobcats, mostly while I'm driving into the area, but I can't get them to come to my calls after I walk into the area and get set up. The hunting area is small, with dense brush, the animal has to brought into about 50 yards in order to get a shot. I am using a 12 gauge. Any advice? I need a close encounter with the damn-varmint kind...

Thanks
Kevin

Upvote 0

MJB

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    sold it!!
    If you can drive the area so has a few others the yotes learn quick. Bait or night hunting or hell shoot them from the road on the way in........or find another spot

Upvote 0

OCEAN theRAPIST

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 9, 2012
    san diego/kali/us
    Name
    randy
    Boat
    ocean therapist
    Why would you shoot a Coyote?

people like to kill everything even if they dont eat it.

i seen a tree that looked like a willow from far and when you got up to it there where hundreds of tail hanging from it. i was told the local farmer kill them and throw them in the bone pits minus the tail

Upvote 0

Rickshaw

Hard Core Fisherman's Father
    Aug 4, 2009
    San Diego CA USA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    20 Foot Blackman Center Console STROKER II
    BECAUSE........................................................

2.jpg

In addition to public service duties, members of the SDCVC are frequently called upon for depredation work. The coyote has no natural enemies; coupled with urban sprawl, their ever-increasing numbers have been responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage to agriculture, livestock, and personal property.
    coyote-eating-cat1_t620.jpg

Someone's Pussy isn't coming home tonight!

Reactions: 86 Winchester
    Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    The only good Coyote is a dead one.

Reactions: gecsr1
    Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    17' Whaler
    If you can drive the area so has a few others the yotes learn quick. Bait or night hunting or hell shoot them from the road on the way in........or find another spot
    A few more skunky trips and I might break down, buy a rifle, and head to the desert where I can see them coming from 300 yards and bamm.. Then I can join the Dead Predator Thread..

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Why would you hook a fish in the lip and let it slowly suffocate out of the water?
    Some people kill animals differently than others.
    I'm gonna eat the fish, or release it to breed, which is the more likely scenario in my case.
    That's a piss poor analogy, and I'm a hunter who "gets" management of animal populations, including Coyote.
    I wish dipshits like Kurt would "get" that we hunters have an image problem with the non hunting public that is fed by statements like "the only good coyote is a dead coyote". I wonder how many "nons" went to "antis" with that kind of :madfire: :slap:
    A more appropriate response would be one that educates the non hunting public as to the benefits of wildlife management based on keeping the populations in balance with the available habitat, as one example. Lacking something productive, silence is preferable.
    I fully intend to be hunting, with a gun, in Ca. until I'm too old to do so. That kind of stuff will prevent that from happening.

Pheeew I feel better........LOL

Last edited:
    Reactions: tap
    Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Carl likes coyote jerky

Upvote 0

FWebb

Apr 24, 2012
    Cave Creek/AZ/USA
    Name
    Forrest
    Boat
    Ranger Z521 w/Yami SHO 250
    Are you using an electronic caller or hand call? I have noticed when calling thick stuff that putting the speaker out in front of you can be a huge advantage. Yotes/cats can sneak in close without you seeing them and may spot you and split without you knowing. If the speaker is 15-20 feet in front of you they will be focused on that area and are more likely to slip up and show themselves. I have killed a bunch of critters in thick desert and I know my success rate in the thick stuff would be way lower with a hand call.

Upvote 0

Mesmashy

Oct 5, 2011
    The Bushes
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    Sunk
    Apart from the management aspect of things, which i totally agree that theses coyotes if not managed are very destructive to our already not so hot little ecosystem, it sounds like waterdawg is being presented with a challenging hunt. I dont know how a lot of other hunters think, but to me a challenging sometimes tricky hunt is what makes the hunt. Is that not why some of us hunt? For the challenge? Thats why you won't see me driving down the road with my rifle barrel sticking out the window during D-16. There's too many saddles to walk through and too many canyons to look in. Lets get challenged.

Upvote 0

WaterDawg

Jun 28, 2008
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    17' Whaler
    Apart from the management aspect of things, which i totally agree that theses coyotes if not managed are very destructive to our already not so hot little ecosystem, it sounds like waterdawg is being presented with a challenging hunt. I dont know how a lot of other hunters think, but to me a challenging sometimes tricky hunt is what makes the hunt. Is that not why some of us hunt? For the challenge? Thats why you won't see me driving down the road with my rifle barrel sticking out the window during D-16. There's too many saddles to walk through and too many canyons to look in. Lets get challenged.
    I do love the challenge, and if/when I take an animal here it will be very fulfilling. I also like to learn and listen to advice on how to become a better hunter.

Kevin

Upvote 0

sly dawgy

Nov 13, 2010
    United States
    Name
    roberto
    I'm gonna eat the fish, or release it to breed, which is the more likely scenario in my case.
    That's a piss poor analogy, and I'm a hunter who "gets" management of animal populations, including Coyote.
    I wish dipshits like Kurt would "get" that we hunters have an image problem with the non hunting public that is fed by statements like "the only good coyote is a dead coyote". I wonder how many "nons" went to "antis" with that kind of :madfire: :slap:
    A more appropriate response would be one that educates the non hunting public as to the benefits of wildlife management based on keeping the populations in balance with the available habitat, as one example. Lacking something productive, silence is preferable.
    I fully intend to be hunting, with a gun, in Ca. until I'm too old to do so. That kind of stuff will prevent that from happening.

Pheeew I feel better........LOL

Upvote 0

sly dawgy

Nov 13, 2010
    United States
    Name
    roberto
    I truly believe in game management, so I think I will try and manage to kill a couple coyotes this weekend great idea and some tree hugger might not lose there cat this weekend. (Just doing my part!):D

Upvote 0