need help choosing between accurate 665 or avet hx for 50#

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
LA
Name
Oscar
Boat
none yet
First time posting on bloodydecks, looking for a 50# reel 2 speed and narrowed it down to Accuraye 665 or Avet hx any advise? Thanks Ozzie

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
Do you mean the 2 speed 665 or are you comparing a single speed Accurate reel to a 2 speed Avet HX?

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
Accurate, I won't buy another avet unless its to sell and make money on.

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
Get the 2 speed Accurate 665 if you can afford it. There are still good deals on the earrly version of the 2 speed 665. The HX is a good reel but I really hate the handle pressure when there is much drag. It's not bad in low gear but very noticeable, at least to me, in high gear.

Ready4TheYellow

The Fishing Guru
Mar 15, 2006
Lomita
Name
Steve
Boat
The Fishing SHO
Bearings stand up in both reels. I'm very hard on my reels and took a new JX on 44 trips 1 year and never had a problem. Following year had to change the bearing. Its like new again.

wifitunaguy

Sep 5, 2008
Santa Clarita, CA...
Name
Keith Crawford
Boat
Long Range!
Accurate, I won't buy another avet unless its to sell and make money on.
Avet, I won't buy another accurate unless its to sell and make money on... Oh wait I can't make any money the reel is already over priced...

Seriously... Try um out.. The guy next to me hates the avet... I like my ford but my buddy likes his chevy...

Not everyone is going to like the same reel...

BTW... If you fish the avet below the max recommended drag at strike you will not have any binding issues... Obviously if you crank a 22 lb on strike reel to 30 lbs it will bind when you turn the handle... I can't honestly say I have had a reason to use 28lbs of drag... Heck, I don't see any reason why you couldn't land a cow with this reel with the upgraded handle... But the point is you'll likely never approach the "advertised" drag limits unless your fishing cows and in that case you would probably be using a 4/02 or 30/2... Also the design is simple and bulletproof with reasonable pricing. Avet customer service is 2nd to none... These are all things to consider when choosing a reel.

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
"Seriously... Try um out.. The guy next to me hates the avet... I like my ford but my buddy likes his chevy... "

I currently have a SX & JX 2spd, have had 4.0 EX & the HX ( twice ) and a 50w. Open a jx/sx up and compare the spool brgs. sometime. And all my reels are cleaned and lubed internally after every trip, as I am fairly blessed to be mechanically inclined.
Ford and Lexus would be a much better comparison.

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
LA
Name
Oscar
Boat
none yet
Thanks for the input fellas,anybody have any input on Tiburons.50# line size?

AzWarden

Dec 16, 2008
Tempe Az
Name
Dave
Boat
None
I was in the San Diego area a couple of weeks ago and went to two tackle shops that people on this forum highly suggested. I was ready to buy an Accurate BX2-600, which I had decided to buy over the Avet HX.

Both shops said that the Accurates have a much higher failure rate. One shop showed me a couple of Accurates that had broken for one reason or another. The worker there then showed me a receipt for one of them that was only 3 moths old. He also said that Avet’s customer service was far superior to that of Accurate’s.

As Steve mentioned above, I was going to buy the Accurate due to the twin drag system. But the above info made me think on it for awhile.

So, in conclusion, I guess I’m just going to buy the Accurate for 50lb-60lb, and then I’ll buy a HX which will replace the accurate for 50lb-60lb and then use the Accurate for 80lb. At least I’ll know first hand if I like Ford or Chevy better, and I’ll get to see how they hold up.[/FONT]

GiantSquid

Aug 18, 2005
San Francisco
Name
Josh
Boat
Nope
I own both reels - they both do the same thing well. The HX feels better as a cast/retrieve/jigging reel to me, so I rig it for that. The 665 feels good in the hand during a long bait soak, so I use it for that. The HX is easy to work on, the 665 is not - so I send that off for service. If money is not an issue go to the tackle shop and put each on the rod you intend to use and play around, see which feels better for you.

My collection is about 1/3 Saltigas, 1/3 Avets and 1/3 Accurates - when visiting the rack I pickup which ever one I am in the mood for.

work2much

Apr 28, 2006
cajon zone
Name
john
Boat
22'aquasport finatic
avet. local, reliable, seems like the whole family is working at the office/ factory. spanked 80 #class YFT with the mxs 6/4 25 # flouro.... it was weeks before I could fall asleep without cuddling with it

coryellk

Fly Navy
Mar 7, 2006
Fallbrook, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
When Wife makes more $...
Thanks for the input fellas,anybody have any input on Tiburons.50# line size?
Look at the SST6. It can't compete with dual drag. That being said the auto shift feature is outstanding and I have mine dialed in for 20# at strike and 28# at full. That's plenty of drag for a 50-60# reel. I own both, and I think Tiburon fit and finish is better than Accurate. I know that's a bold statement.

Whatever you do, I agree with the Ford/Lexus comparison. HX can't compete with the Tib or the Accurate. See similar threads for just how many people are trying to dump their HX's.

REK

Oct 21, 2006
Oasis
Name
Ron
Boat
rowboat
You might like the JB's.
Avet, Accurate...both good reels, both slay big fish.

Before both these reels even came out, John Baker/Cal Sheets were doing great things with the Penn 12. Angler asked a long time deck hand on a premier boat about his thoughts of a small two speed. Pointed to an old Baker 4 that was surrounded by all the new bling. If there is an issue, John seems to just upgrade/update at no cost. Can't beat that. Great customer service. Looks like his latest small 2 speeds have it all together now. If I didn't have all this bling, I'd be checking Baker's out real close.

My old Baker 4 is the most bullet proof small two speed reel I own, bar none. Freespools great, smooth snug drags. No issues...ever. I have to think his new reels are right there but improved. Local, too....Calimesa I believe.

Did I mention his great customer service?