Need Help/advice with second jig stick.....

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Hello fellow BD'ers,

Ok, here is my dilemma:

I already have my Calstar 100j jigstick and I love it....BUT, as most of you know, it gets tiring throwing it all day long. So, my question is this: For a second jig stick what would you choose and why? Keep in mind I already have an 800M and my feeling is so-so on it as a jig stick. Was thinking of going lighter to be able to fish it longer without getting tired.

I am thinking of the following:

900M
GG90j
Phenix 900H

This will mostly be used for chasing tail.......the yellow kind that swims. Using anything from 7X to 45's.....

Thanks for any and all input.

Bill

Upvote 0

LEGENDS

Yogi Bear
May 7, 2011
Lakeside
Name
Sam
Boat
None
Have a phenix hybrid 10'. Don't know all the specs, just know it turns heads really good. Thinking of cutting it down to 9'6".

Reactions: kahuna bass
Upvote 0

rza007

Iron Sheik
Sep 28, 2004
San Diego
Name
Fish
Boat
It sounds like your looking for a 9'er. Find a SS cjbf90m and pull on one. They feel nice... If its not what your looking for then the gg90j will get it done. Why? because they are light, powerful and can kill a 20# class yt in under 30sec.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Phenix PHD929H. 9'2", 25-60#, blank weighs 10oz.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I use a Truline D-8, 1967 version, green glass. If you get tired Calstar 800-H. Most guys don't need a 9 or 10 footer.

Upvote 0

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
    Jul 1, 2008
    San Ramon, CA
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    When I was younger fishing the day boats I wouldn't leave home without my 90j. I loved it for tossing jigs all day at the Coranados to offshore to San Martin and occasionally Cedros. Now that I almost exclusively fish 8 -10 day trips I find I enjoy fishing a shorter jig stick. I like the 8 footers like the 6480 or 800-H. I can catch stock 20 pound yellows all day and not get too tooled when I luck into that 80 pound YFT out at Alijos. I have never liked the 10+ foot rods.

Upvote 0

yft1979

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 7, 2004
    Murrieta
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    -
    Really like my Phenix phd869xh, 8"6". Matched with a tranx. Casts a 7x a mile. No use for my ulua anymore...

Upvote 0

OIF VET

May 26, 2010
    North OC
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    You need to tell us what you you plan on fishing it with 30,40,50 that would help narrow down the rods a little. You don't need another jig stick you already have the best one ever made 100J. The phenix hybrid line would be a good place to look if you want light

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    Thanks guys for all the options to think about...

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
    Apr 21, 2013
    Dana Point,CA
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    Didn't mention what reel you are using on this new jig stick? Calstar 800H or Seeker Black Steel 6480H with a Penn Torque 30 will cast a 7X or the lighter 45 (most common LR surface iron) 75+ yards all day long with decent casting technique (finely tuned Penn Baja 113H will get it done on the larger surface iron as well). 100 yd+ casts on the 10ft long rods are really more for show than they are for go IMO as setting the hook at that distance gets a lot harder, especially if you are using the stretchy mono/copolymer product for your main line. I have both of my Penn Torque 30's and both of my fine tuned 113H Baja reels spooled with 80lb solid super braid to 5 feet of 50lb to 80lb Blackwater fluoro (its the stiffest fluoro leader I have found) or if needed I will use a 4 foot single strand 60lb wire for my leader (I have found that west coast surface iron tend to swim better with stiffer leader and a slower crank... thus my Torque 30's both have 4.8 to 1 gears in them and would really prefer 3.6 to 1 if I could ever get Penn to make them ;)).

Tight lines and blue skies!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

JeffersonB

Apr 20, 2014
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Ranger 2410
    Seeker Hercules SHS-80XH. Very parabolic for easy casting yet plenty powerful. Can be used as a baitstick as well.

Upvote 0

OIF VET

May 26, 2010
    North OC
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    Come on let us know what you are thinking. The GG 90J is a great rod and I mean great but it's very similar and too similar to a 100j. You might want to look at the GG 690J or the btg or BT whatever the hell it is all glass version. In my opinion jig stick should be glass. You could always say f it and get another 10fter harnell 724.

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    Ok, due to popular demand from my fellow BD'ers, here is where I am at right now:

Either the 900M or GG90J is what I am thinking.

Since I already have the 10 foot 100j PLUS a 800M I am thinking of splitting the difference.

With 900M I know what I am getting into, The GG90j is the new breed according to the guys at Calstar. It is said to be a faster action and for the fire the jig out now crowd versus the old school glass load it up, slow type delivery.

So, that is where I currently am on this. Gonna go pull on those two and make up my mind.

I am sure either would do me fine with my trusty 332 and 40#. Might even go totally new school and put a JX on it! Wouldn't that be something!!

Might even call my trusty rod builder Jim Trelikes and pick his brain.

Thanks again guys for all the interest and advice shared.....

Bill

Upvote 0

mberggre

May 13, 2012
    San Diego, California
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    N/A
    Didn't mention what reel you are using on this new jig stick? Calstar 800H or Seeker Black Steel 6480H with a Penn Torque 30 will cast a 7X or the lighter 45 (most common LR surface iron) 75+ yards all day long with decent casting technique (finely tuned Penn Baja 113H will get it done on the larger surface iron as well). 100 yd+ casts on the 10ft long rods are really more for show than they are for go IMO as setting the hook at that distance gets a lot harder, especially if you are using the stretchy mono/copolymer product for your main line. I have both of my Penn Torque 30's and both of my fine tuned 113H Baja reels spooled with 80lb solid super braid to 5 feet of 50lb to 80lb Blackwater fluoro (its the stiffest fluoro leader I have found) or if needed I will use a 4 foot single strand 60lb wire for my leader (I have found that west coast surface iron tend to swim better with stiffer leader and a slower crank... thus my Torque 30's both have 4.8 to 1 gears in them and would really prefer 4 to 1 if I could ever get Penn to make them ;)).

Tight lines and blue skies!

That's also how I roll. I'm using a TRQ 30 with the low gears on an SS6480H. I also have a Fathom 25N with low gears that I'll put on an SS 90M/6490.

Upvote 0

OIF VET

May 26, 2010
    North OC
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    Ok, due to popular demand from my fellow BD'ers, here is where I am at right now:

Either the 900M or GG90J is what I am thinking.

Since I already have the 10 foot 100j PLUS a 800M I am thinking of splitting the difference.

With 900M I know what I am getting into, The GG90j is the new breed according to the guys at Calstar. It is said to be a faster action and for the fire the jig out now crowd versus the old school glass load it up, slow type delivery.

So, that is where I currently am on this. Gonna go pull on those two and make up my mind.

I am sure either would do me fine with my trusty 332 and 40#. Might even go totally new school and put a JX on it! Wouldn't that be something!!

Might even call my trusty rod builder Jim Trelikes and pick his brain.

Thanks again guys for all the interest and advice shared.....

Bill
    If that's the case 900M for sure. It could always be used as a bait rod too. Hey and don't be throwing that JX thing for jigs. Us jig guys need to stick together and keep it old school the way it should be star drags and glass rods. JX is a great 40lb reel though. Have fun and good luck with whatever you choose.

Upvote 0

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
    900M or GG90J: beauty is in the eye of the beholder in this case, I don't like either of those models but love and own the two models lighter (850 m and gg690j). I have tried both of those models and will tell you that the 900M is stiffer, therefore will load up more on fighting the fish and hurting your back. No prob back when I was 24, but now im 34 and don't have patience for that kind of fight. If you like them, go for it and let us know what u went with and why. us jig fisherman gotta keep together! I think the 90j is more adept for a 45, and the 900 for 7xs. 332s rule! Though I will add that Shimano finally put a reel out on the market that i like and that's the TN 20. Excellent reel, drags, casting (of course), crank power, but I feel is too fast, you have to conciously slow down the retrieve.

Upvote 0

finsane

Jabroni
    Oct 11, 2005
    California
    Name
    Dennis
    Boat
    None
    Can't believe nobody mentioned the Calstar 540, glass blank, light, throws jigs like it's nobody's business. Take a foot off the bottom, I use a 332 for 30lb or a Torium 20 w/40lb.
    The blank goes for around $90.00

Like a previous poster said, jig stick should be glass. I had a GG690 also, it was a nice rod. Just not as nice a jig stick

Upvote 0

Latest posts