el Toro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Kids' break is late March. We need some family camping ideas. I wanted to do S. Utah, Bryce, Zion, etc., but the wife is afraid it will be too cold. Any other ideas? We aren't desert/river people so have no interest in the dunes, motorcycle scene, loud boats and partying, etc. We like activities: hiking, biking, fishing, shooting, and I'd love some educational element with something historically interesting or natural wonder type sights for the kids. Have trailer, will travel, within reason.

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
Kids' break is late March. We need some family camping ideas. I wanted to do S. Utah, Bryce, Zion, etc., but the wife is afraid it will be too cold. Any other ideas? We aren't desert/river people so have no interest in the dunes, motorcycle scene, loud boats and partying, etc. We like activities: hiking, biking, fishing, shooting, and I'd love some educational element with something historically interesting or natural wonder type sights for the kids. Have trailer, will travel, within reason.
How long and how old are your kids?

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
Refugio Jalama Beach

Reactions: marlyn

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Just recently spent 5 days in Idyllwild and it was awesome!! Spent my whole life here in SoCal and somehow this place completely escaped me!!

Less than 2 hours from SD and such a cool place. It is kind of like a Julian on steroids! Bigger better town, super woodsy and with a old school old town vibe. My sister got us all a cabin and it was great! And the place has a Golden Retriever as it's mayor LOL.

Like I said, we stayed in a cabin and it was really cool. But I grew up camping and do love doing that as well, and I am sure there are some killer campsites in the area.

Whatever your choice, good luck!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

DMcD

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Mike!!! Shush!! What happens in Idyllwild stays in Idyllwild! Just kidding...but it is one of the best-kept secrets in SoCal. Beautiful place...kinda looks like a mini Yosemite Valley. I've lived there 27 years now, and its hard to believe you're in SoCal when you're up there. Mountains over 10K feet, Incredible scenery and hiking, and some of the best rock climbing around outside of Yosemite. Great restaurants.

Good camping spots all around town...the County Park, 1000 Trails Campgrounds (where you can take a trail to the remains of an 1860s saw mill), or you can camp at Lake Hemet about 15 minutes outside of town where's there's fishing for trout, bass, catfish, etc. The lake can be very windy though.

FishinMcNuggets

Fishin fo' Nutrition!
Oct 25, 2010
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
Wasn't going to mention Idyllwild, but good camping is to be had on Black Mountain, close to Lake Fulmor. Same token, Santa Rosa mountains have a nice spring, with a crashed 'copter not far away. Not trailer friendly spots, though.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Kids are 6 and 9. Trip would be 5-6 days likely. I pretty much grew up in the Eastern Sierras. Been to Bodie a million times. You must have missed the part where I said I wanted to avoid cold! March in Bodie is not gonna happen! Probably Yosemite too.
Been to Idyllwild many times. Great weekend destination. Looking for something more here.
Central Coast is an interesting idea. Tell me more please. Any place else warm?

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
When my boys were about that age - we borrowed a neighbors RV and did Zion (river narrows), Arches and Bryce Canyon - then spent last night in Vegas hotel coming home.

That was about 3-4 years ago and my kids still talk about the trip.

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
Mid coast try Julia Pfieffer Burns state beach near Big Sur. Dry camping. Great beach nearby waterfall. Lots of Deer hunters there.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
A lot of possible places that might be nice in late March. Red Rock Canyon outside of Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Indian dwellings at Mesa Verde, the old steam locomotive from Durango to Silverton, Arches national Park, Zion, Bryce, Glen Canyon dam.

Reactions: Blackfish

kbray001

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24
For five or six days what about monument valley and the four corners area?

Lots of really cool stuff out there.

Spend a day in flagstaff on the way home and go to the Lowell observatory.

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
Ya sounds like you need to go to Arizona or deep BAJA if you’re looking for a warm March.

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
Go to lake mead temple bar resort. I go every 6 months ,Fishing bass n strippers , cabins are 55 bucks a night . stove oven refer big air conditioners restraunt slips for your boat . nice motel on premises , 125 for big room with all the trimmings 2 big beds view of the lake outside bqs , fuel for boats there , Goin again april 5 th for 5 days . cost 4 everything for 2 people is bout 1200 bucks thats fuel food lodging fishing bait . 360 miles to temple bar resort . so peaceful and fishing is good . B

miaf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Anything north of San Diego is questionable weather in March. If you want warm, head south.

MJB

Jun 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Mark
Boat
sold it!!
With this rain and your going in March?

The painted desert is a natural wonder.....every color in the book blooms once every 10yrs in March and its 75-80 all day/night.
I like PS, great hiking trails, you know where the BH sheep are to glass, shooting is great, you also have the tram & the hike to the hidden palms or what ever it's called. Shopping for the wife and so on.....

Not many options if you don't like the chance of cold.

Out of state flagstaff is not too cold but it's not 80.

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
San Simeon State Beach Campground take a day do Hearst Castle only thing is weather can be a bit sketchy. Tons to do from there.

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
Dec 1, 2012
Fortuna CA
Name
Kris
Boat
25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
I’ve been in southern Utah in late March and it was in the 70’s and I’ve been there in late April when it was snowing. We always find something to do.