Need boots recommendation......Again....Saloman Suck!

Discussion in 'Hunting Discussion' started by MJB, Jul 8, 2015.

1. MJB

MJB I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    So the saloman G4(thanks China) have failed.....for $200+
    These blow at least Danners soles were twice resoled before this BS.....

Both sides of the boots at the toe came unglued.....WTF so tired of this shit give me a boot that outlast the sole a few times......no wonder my feet were wet from the last hunt.

Watch ya got.....looking for light non insulation with a aggressive sole.......I guess I need to try USA made......who talked these up???????

Does REI TAKE BACK THIS SHIT!

image.jpg

2. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Name:
    GW
    Boat:
    Glastron Seafury
    REI has a 1 years warranty on pretty much anything purchased there, just show them the problem and they should get you a refund or credit whichever you want. Also don't feel bad doing it, the mark up on outdoors equipment is very steep!
    Maybe try the Lowas, German company Italian build (I think) saw several pairs of them make it 1000 miles on trail last year which is about twice as far as most other high end hikers.

3. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    That looks like a good problem to have amigo.

4. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    I have a very heavy duty pair of Salomon mountaineering boots that have lasted through 2 pairs of resoles, but I would never think to hunt in those things!
    My go to light weight hiker is the Asolo Fugitive GTX. Google em. First pair eventually wore out. Second pair is still going strong. But as with all personal choices, YMMV.

5. Sluester

Sluester I kill stuff

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    The G4 is a lightweight hiking boot. Not a mtn climbing boot.
    As much as you do I wouldn't buy anything labeled lightweight.

6. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    I have a pair of non-insulated Danner East Ridge boots. Check them out. They're the most comfortable boots I've ever worn right out of the box and surprisingly light for a stitch down constructed boot. I have a about 75 miles on this pair and so far have nothing but good things to to say about them. They're 100% gore-tex. Made in usa as well, and re-buildable.

middleofnowhere likes this.
  7. reel man

reel man Common sense

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure
    I have wide feet, and found it almost impossible to find 4E width boots until I went to Chippawa's web site. They make their boots with Goodyear welt (stitched) insulated, or not, Vibram soles, and those boots have stood up to the harshassed of conditions. Yeah, their leather, but no ankle twist, and have good arch support so are very comfortable all day. Got mine thru Boot Barn for around, $160.

8. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Zamberlan

9. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Are those the Solomon Quest 4D? I'm not aware of a G4. Those are the best fitting and most comfortable boots I have found for my feet, but yes, durability leaves a lot to be desired. I'm on 1.5 seasons with mine and the sole is now starting to come apart. They've been rode hard, but still, it sucks to have them not last longer. Boot prices have gotten crazy. Out of control. Good mountain boots are now $350+, but they are not lightweight. Lightweight means fabric instead of leather, and cheezy soles. I agree with Sluester. You can't expect as much durability with a lightweight boot when you use them as hard as we do. I've just come to accept that fact.

I just went through a pair of Lowa Tibets. Great boot. Super well made. Best lacing system I've ever seen. Flexible but supportive. Best compromise I've seen yet between support and flex. First mountian boot I've ever owned where heel slip wasn't a problem at all. But they were a little narrow in the forefoot and hurt my foot with a heavy pack loaded. They are going back.

Bit the bullet, called Lathrop and Sons and got the soup to nuts treatment. Spent an hour with them on the phone, explaining my needs, boot models I have tried before, likes and dislikes, etc. Very knowledgeable hunting boot people. Best I've spoke to. They are putting me into a pair of their Lowa Cevedale Tech Lites. I figured, at least if I have paid the premium price and taken their advice, so I have them to blame if they dont work and they better make it right. We'll see.

Boots are a pain in the ass to sort out. Everyone is so different.

10. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    Danaher. (Sp). Not light but well worth the money

11. Mergrath

Mergrath Member

Name:
    Tim "ShamWow" Schaeffer
    Boat:
    Inflatable farm animals
    I have narrow feet. After trying several brands my feet love the Lowa Tibet boots. Not to mention the lacing system does not let your feet move so zero blisters for me.

12. MJB

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    After reading all the reviews looks like Lowa tricam II is the way to go but jeeeez 370????

13. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    The Ticam is on my radar too. Yep, boots are out of control. Unfortunately, there is no other piece of equipment as important.

14. MJB

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    3 days before I was stuck with them.......so we shall see how a $370 boot feels

15. surfgoose

surfgoose active geezer

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    whichever has the longest bunk
    When you find a pair of boots that work right for you, WHATEVER the cost is, it is a bargain. You can easily spend several thousand on the gun and optics, let alone the clothes and pack investment. Keep trying until you get it right for you. A couple of "almost" results is like a trip that gets blown out by an unexpected storm, just another war story for a future campfire.

STANWOOD BOB likes this.
  16. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    I have duck feet so I really like the solomans. For shoes, if I see mine starting to go I use shoe goo clear. That shit is like flexible superglue.

17. MJB

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Shoe glue would not of worked that great. rubber that was tucked in the sole was coming out and was pretty stiff to bend back in the sole

18. Roger Gordon

Roger Gordon Member

Name:
    Roger
    Boat:
    60 Hateras
    fer reals !!! lowa tech lite cant be a better boot on my foot when Im packin a bit o weight ! Ill get another pair cuz , but Ill skip the custom fit as my boot with a foot bed is as groovy as can be . the lace system alone is enough to sell me . ??? socks are nearly as important as our boots, again fer reals

19. DirtyDave413

DirtyDave413 Newbie

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    rootbeer float
    I love my Merrell Moabs! They are awesome for hot, dry, hunting. I have the Ventilators, not the waterproof version.
    I like the looks of the Merrell Crestbound too, might have to try that one

20. MJB

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    sold it!!
    Still waiting......I'm at Tejon in my old Danners boy do my feet hurt.......feels like they are made of steel and my heel is sliding all over the place