need anchor recomendation for Parker 2320

Discussion in 'Parker - The Tradition Continues' started by vipertom1970, Oct 27, 2016.

1. vipertom1970

vipertom1970 Member

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 SL
    Those with 2320, what size or weight of anchor do you have and how many feet of chain do you have to anchor the Parker 2320 around Catalina or San Clemente Island ?

Thanks

Tom

2. angelinasdad

angelinasdad Captain

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    Depth and other factors like wind and current makes a big difference. You need to be more specific.

3. vipertom1970

vipertom1970 Member

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 SL
    Hi Anthony, that's why I specified Catalina and SCI since I don't really know the depth or wind speed in those areas.

4. angelinasdad

angelinasdad Captain

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    That still leaves a wide range of possibilities. The other thing to consider is how much space you have in your anchor locker. Mine is maxed out with approximately 450 feet of half inch Rope and 50 feet of chain. I believe a typical recommendation for chain is one and a half times the boat lengths but I went a little further. I don't know the weight of my anchor but I would assume 20 pounds. My guess is you would typically be anchoring in less than 150 feet of water. However you need significantly more total length for scope so the anchor will grab. There are some good articles on the Internet. if I recall you typically need three times the depth to be the length of your anchor rope and chain. I'm sure you could do it with less depending on conditions. Too thick rope can be a problem to do to lack of stretch. If it was me I would max out what you can fit in your anchor locker and then figure out how deep you can anchor based on conditions with what you have. For your boat you could get away with thinner diameter rope however my winless required that.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Willdoggy

Willdoggy Willing Member

Name:
    IG = WetWillyBiz
    Boat:
    Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
    I'm pretty sure scope should be 5 to 10 times the depth of water depending upon Sea and weather conditions. Easy/general answer is 8x. There are lots of good articles on this topic on thehulltruth.com, boatus.com etc:
    http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/anchors-and-rodes.asp
    The link above gives particularly good insight to not only length of scope but rope diameter and anchor types. You will probably moor at Catalina but might be wise to consider a Second anchor at SCI.
    Ten years ago we fortunately had a huge scare and blew West of SCI one night. It was only because of our LUCKY Santa Ana conditions that we did not get rocked. This was the maiden voyage in my friend's brand new 52' Viking! Flir IR camera and anchor alarm were quickly mastered after that night!

6. angelinasdad

angelinasdad Captain

Name:
    Anthony
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    I stand corrected... my scope ratio was way off but my statement of maxing out your capacity is right on. I was thinking more of when you're fishing during the day and well aware of your surroundings in the event that the anchor pulled. In most coves with other boat you have a tough time putting out 8 to 1. But that's what is recommended based on a quick search. With that said I'm never comfortable falling asleep on the anchor. I'd much rather get a morning, get some sleep and then head back out to the fishing grounds real early. I don't know how any small private boat could carry enough anchor rope and chain to do 8 to 1 at any reasonable depth. for example 100 foot depth would require 800 feet of rope. wow

7. miaf

miaf Newbie

Name:
    Boat:
    22lb Bruce anchor, 60 ft chain & at least 300 ft of rope. That should be good for the islands.

Glyn likes this.
  8. Dave Nesthus

Dave Nesthus Sweet Pickle

Name:
    Dave Nesthus
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 DVSC
    I have a 25 Parker and use a 22# Bruce, 40' chain and 300' eight plait rode. Anchor at the islands a lot and never had a problem.

9. vipertom1970

vipertom1970 Member

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 SL
    Thank you every one.

10. nolimits

nolimits Member

Name:
    No Limits
    Boat:
    Parker
    What has worked for me at both Cat and SCI is a 14# fast set Delta plow anchor, 25 ft chains and 300 ft of half inch 8-plait rope. The 2320SL locker can probably fit another 100ft of rope but won't lay down nicely. I've used a fluke anchor once on the same boat. That fluke anchor arm got bent during the night as strong current changed and swung the boat. Never felt safe with a fluke anymore. Another better option is a plow CQR

11. Phat Boat

Phat Boat Bye Bye BFT

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Parker 2310 DVWA
    Chain is your friend.

12. stickandstay

stickandstay Member

Name:
    JW
    Boat:
    no
    Minimum 50' of chain. Chains more important than weight of anchor. 22# Bruce

EL COMA likes this.
  13. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    see above

14. bparker1225

bparker1225 Ocean Addiction

Name:
    Bill Parker
    Boat:
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    Outside of Avalon if 150 feet. Suggest you read the anchor/anchoring section Chapmans piloting. Westmarine in their catalog online also has a good section on anchors. Anchors are often a second thought until your boat or your life are on the line.

15. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Newbie

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    On my 25'er, I use a 22 lb. 3 scoop anchor, 40' of chain plus 300' of rope stacked in a milk box fastened to the rail with a knife and sheath tied ot the box to cut kelp...you can probably do fine with a 16# anchor but, don't go short on the chain...it keeps your anchor parallel to the bottom and that is where the holding power lies...wrap some kelp on the bigger anchors and chain at Catalina and you can burn out a lightweight anchor winch with so much weight to pull up....always keep the line tied to a cleat and never let the line pull against the winch only....the side torque and twisting can break the gear spindle inside the winch housing...oh yeah, after 50 years out there in Santa Ana winds and sudden blows, I much prefer to pay for a nite on a mooring ...does wonders for good sleeping and avoids getting up every 2 hours to see if the boat moved while the wind is howling on a pitch black night......a portable high powered light is a must when anchoring overnight at the islands, especially in winter when the waves and wind can come up suddenl,( usually at 3 am on a pitch black nite)...the light will save your bacon if you have to pull anchor and bail out......

16. rowdyrosco

rowdyrosco sancho

Name:
    ross
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    Wow, there's a whole lot of bad information on here, maybe these guys are salesman for worst marine?? 8x the depth?? A 17# anchor with 35-40' chain and 300-350' rode will keep you stuck in all situations that you would be able to sleep through. Length of chain is 10x more important than weight of anchor, and you only need a million miles of scope if its blowing 40.

marlyn likes this.