Need advise on starting a 6 pack charter boat in California, Los Angles area

upallnight

Apr 27, 2021
South Bay
Name
Chris
Boat
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to bloody decks but have surfed it many times in the past. As I have read many great threads in the past, I came here for more advise. I looking to start my own 6 pack charter boat. I have more than enough hours on the water and just need to get my captains license. I am not to concerned about that part. I am looking for advise on where to dock/store the boat. If possible I could park it at my house, but I was told if I self launched it at Marina Del Rey I could be fined for running a 6 pack charter boat. Also when I called around for a slip, I was told buy Marina Del Rey and Redondo they wont allow me to rent a slip and run a 6 pack charter. I am looking to dock/work between Marina Del Rey ad san Pedro.

Upvote 0

bufadora

Apr 13, 2011
Santa Cruz
Name
darren gertler
Boat
Sorenson 15 - catamaran
I can't speak for your harbor, but some of the harbors in our area do require a 'charter fee/permit" for any vessel that operates as a charter. It is some paperwork and about $1000. Maybe you could start by asking about charter permits in the individual harbors you are thinking about.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I ran a 6pk for 25 years.Its not EZ.Check on charter insurance,harbor fee and landing fee if you want to pickup and drop off at a sportfishing landing.For a larger size boat like I ran you have a few partners.15% for bait,percentage for the harbor and the landing.Good luck with your quest.Tom

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
I ran a 6pk for 25 years.Its not EZ.Check on charter insurance,harbor fee and landing fee if you want to pickup and drop off at a sportfishing landing.For a larger size boat like I ran you have a few partners.15% for bait,percentage for the harbor and the landing.Good luck with your quest.Tom
15% for bait, that’s a trim. New it was in there but didn’t realize over an eighth.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    When I was at Fishermans I think I had 30 percent penciled in off the top.Tom
    I think at any S.D Landings it's close to 44% right off the top. Bait, Landing, Insurance factored in, port fees, city taxes, Etc. I may even be light at 44%.

Upvote 0