Need Advice: Re-upholstery for boat dashboard console - old vinyl!!

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
Hey thanks for taking time out of your day to check out my post!

I am currently helping some good friends with a total overhaul/upgrade of their boat’s helm dashboard and electronics etc.

We have already stripped everything down and detached all of the components, and currently have the dash console “shell” removed from the boat. It’s vinyl surfaces look old and tired - discolored with little holes here and there.

In order to try and avoid settling for the half-assed solution of filling any holes, thoroughly prepping all surfaces, and the subsequent spray application of a marine vinyl refinishing (paint) type product like we had originally planned on doing.....

I’m looking for any and all advice or recommendations you guys might have for someone or somewhere around SoCal that I could take this dash console to have it affordably reupholstered with some new marine grade vinyl material.

1618731249731.jpeg

1618731273395.jpeg

1618731297359.jpeg

I haven’t had much success with my first round of google searching and phone calls. So any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I did happen across this company in Van Nuys called “Just Dashes” and they do vacuum forming style re-upholstery. It looks pretty rad from their videos, and I have a message into them to check on cost & turn around time.....but have a strong feeling that their services may be cost prohibitively spendy and far too expensive.

Anybody have any experience, good or bad, with Just Dashes in Van Nuys?

Anyone know of any other companies around that do this type or vacuum forming re-upholstery?
Or maybe even some other upholstery dude capable of doing a job like this the standard old fashioned way? (Non-vacuum forming dash upholstery)

Thanks for any and all help or advice!

-Jeramy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I’ve never attempted to do anything close to what you are shooting for. That said, if it were mine I would clean it up and give it the krylon touch.

Reactions: KneppNasty
Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Call Olivo to get his advice, you can search him here to see how much work he's done for guys on BD.

(714) 542-3361

Upvote 0